Car lights on in daytime

eh
eh Posts: 4,854
edited October 2008 in Campaign
Does anyone have any info/ references to the safety affects on cyclists, peds etc. that cars driving with lights on in the daytime has?

Comments

• downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    On the DfT website there was (cant garantee its still there) some research on how drivers tended to look for lights rather than vehicles..

.mind you their research is horrible to search for tbh. There were a few petitions about forcing all road vehicles to use lights at daytime on the no10 website I notice. Would be a stupid idea imo :?
  • sward29
    sward29 Posts: 205
    I found the info below on an Alfa Romeo forum. It doesn't cite the original source but you may be able to find it on google.

There was due to be eurowide legislation coming into force last year that all new cars should be set up to drive with headlights on all the time and that all cars should drive with them on from 2009/10. Then the green lobby said that in spite of the proven improvement in safety (estimated at 11% reduction in daytime collisions and 3-5% reduction in fatalities), this would increase fuel costs. So Volvo did some calculations and discovered that the resultant increase in fuel consumption would amount to less than £1 per year for the average driver, even at today's prices. In spite of this, the proposals seem to have been shelved. However, some manufacturers (ie Volvo, Saab, BMW & Audi) have decided that they would like to keep more of their drivers alive to be able to buy another car later and so have set up their cars with daytime running lights. Alfa, among others, have taken the middle ground by allowing headlights to stay on permanently if required and switch off automatically when the engine goes off (as opposed to staying on and buzzing at you).
  • Mithras
    Mithras Posts: 428
    I drive with my lights on all the time, something to do with owning two SAABs in the past and being in the army (convoy drils). I also ride a motorbike....lights on all the time, as far as I'm concerned it is a life saver. If I could get an affordable light for my bike that was bright enough to show up in day light I'd have tha on too. The Brighter the better as far as I'm concerned.
    I can afford to talk softly!....................I carry a big stick!
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Mithras wrote:
    I drive with my lights on all the time, something to do with owning two SAABs in the past and being in the army (convoy drils). I also ride a motorbike....lights on all the time, as far as I'm concerned it is a life saver. If I could get an affordable light for my bike that was bright enough to show up in day light I'd have tha on too. The Brighter the better as far as I'm concerned.

I don't disagree with your logic, but if EVERYONE did the same, then the lights would not be noticeable!

Its a difficult situation - its like wearing fluorescent vests - they become less noticeable as more people wear them in daytime
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    The CTC campaigned against the European-wide legislation that is mentioned above.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    spen666 wrote:

I don't disagree with your logic, but if EVERYONE did the same, then the lights would not be noticeable!

Not true.

But there are other issues. But after a few years of driving with lights on i would, as a car driver, say it is a safer driving experience.

But i would not be on a bike on the roads.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    Yes there seems to be research indicating that cars with lights on have less accidents, but is there any relating to other road users who are in fact the more vulnerable ones e.g. cyclists?

Personnally I don't like the idea of everyone driving around with their lights on all the time, but I am surprised there seems little research into the pros and cons.
  • nicklouse
    eh wrote:
    Yes there seems to be research indicating that cars with lights on have less accidents, but is there any relating to other road users who are in fact the more vulnerable ones e.g. cyclists?

Personnally I don't like the idea of everyone driving around with their lights on all the time, but I am surprised there seems little research into the pros and cons.

we do not have cyclist on the roads.

I think one thing that many people dont consider is in the scandic countries where we have the lights on you very rarely see cyclists on the roads. As the cycle routes work and keep the cyclists away from roads.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • When cycling, I find that it is difficult to estimate the speed of vehicles, particularly motor bikes, with their headlights on. Why is it that police cars and motor bikes don't use their headlights during the day?
  • no ideal answer to this, but personally I'd rather everyone had their lights on all the time than people were driving around at dawn and dusk without lights on...
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    bill reay wrote:
    When cycling, I find that it is difficult to estimate the speed of vehicles, particularly motor bikes, with their headlights on. Why is it that police cars and motor bikes don't use their headlights during the day?

Many that I see do- especially on motorways and dual carriageways
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • nicklouse
    spen666 wrote:
    bill reay wrote:
    When cycling, I find that it is difficult to estimate the speed of vehicles, particularly motor bikes, with their headlights on. Why is it that police cars and motor bikes don't use their headlights during the day?

Many that I see do- especially on motorways and dual carriageways

dont find it any different. But i do spot the vehicle with lights on first and from further away.
  • Philip S
    Philip S Posts: 398
    Danger is, as I see it, that motorists looking to pull out at junctions will get used to seeing headlights and just looks for them as an indicator that something is coming. A quick glance, no lights, pull out - straight into you or me on our bikes...
  • RichMTB
    RichMTB Posts: 599
    Interesting topic this.

Personally I can't see any reason why you wouldn't drive with your lights on during the day, better visibility means better safety at zero or negligible cost.

There is no doubt it increases a car visibility at greater distance which is why some countries make it mandatory for use of lights outside of towns where speeds are higher.

As for the bike, in anything but dazzling sunshine (bit uncommon I know) I use a flashing tail light, and I'm considering using a bright LED flashing light for the front a NiteFlux-VisionStick Photon 4 Commuter or a Hope LED One should fit the bill
    Step in to my hut! - Stumpy Jumpy Pacey