Llandegla Red in clipless

hamish_hebridean
hamish_hebridean Posts: 71
edited September 2008 in MTB beginners
Have had a decent mtb for a while, but never been anywhere really to try it out properly. I went to Llandegla for the first time this week and flew round the blue and then went straight onto the red.

As a keen roadie I have worn clipless for years, but on the red there were two areas that I found near impossible in clipless. The double steep climb and the North Shore stuff.

Any tips?

I still managed to get round both in under two and a half hours - but i hate the idea of getting off and walking - roadie mentality on the hills!

Do I just go for it and if I fall, I fall? Determined not to have to change my pedals.

by the way - I cannot believe that I have never done any proper mtb stuff sooner! What a blast.

Comments

• omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    On the double steep stuff halfway round I pedal until I can go no further and unclip or fall off .
    I use Shimano DX M647 and M424 pedals as they have the cage around , on the north shore I unclip and pedal with the middle of my foot on the cage.
  • I found, for the North Shore stuff, keep your head up, you will go where you're looking, so avoid looking down at your front wheel. Also more speed is easier, although obviously the consequences of crashing could be greater if you're going at it like a luny.
    If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Nowt wrong with going to flats tho'...
    But saying that if you like SPD's then stick to it.
    Double steep, well getting to know the place and knowing whats around the corner helps :lol: And the Northshore(ish) climb, well momentum and confidence are the key.
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • cambo
    cambo Posts: 125
    I did Llandegla once in clipless, halfway up the double steep climb I could feel myself coming to a stop, unclipped my right foot and fell off to the left!!! I have a moon shaped reminder on my ankle, the crank bros are in the garage and the V8's are back to stay. I also bottled the 'north shore' bit at the end.

Also, I have calculated my FCN as 12...although I have no idea what that actually means.
  • gazvenn
    gazvenn Posts: 121
    first time i did the north shore stuff at llandegla i unclipped and rode it on the middle of my feet, 2nd time i just thought bollox to it and stayed clipped in, its just a confidence thing. its pretty wide so fair bit of room for error.
  • A bit off topic, but is it just me that wants to take a orbital sander to the north shore stuff on this course? I like other trails north shore, but at this place it's just not enjoyable.

I'm totally with you on this. I've riden it twice, once BC (Before Clipless) and once since; didn't find it enjoyable either time - though I didn't find it much worse running clipless - don't see the point, personally.

Double steep climb, though - didn't have a problem either time as it's shallow enough that you can still sit and spin. Maybe I hadn't been riding hard enough to knacker myself out before reaching it...

_
  • bells0
    bells0 Posts: 414
    I switched to flats recently due to a faceplant and knock of confidence.

Went to to Dalby red yesterday and really missed my SPD's on the climbs. Foot kept losing grip on the switchbacks and felt less in control over jumps.

So will be going back to my SPD's and keeping my Wellgo MG1's for Stainburn or something a bit more Knarly.
  • Cheers for advice

Will maybe take it a bit easier before I get to the double steep part knowing what I need to do to get up.

It was going up on the Northshore that I struggled with - not enough speed, it may be a case of loosening up. Felt as if I had done fifty pull ups sqeezing the handlebars that tight by the time I had crossed it.

Looking forward to getting back there.
  • A bit off topic, but is it just me that wants to take a orbital sander to the north shore stuff on this course? I like other trails north shore, but at this place it's just not enjoyable.

Thats my favourite bit of the trail. i presume you mean the log boardwalks? there's not exactly any north shore at llandegla really. why don't you find it enjoyable? i find it a nice little challenge.

Thats my favourite bit of the trail. i presume you mean the log boardwalks? there's not exactly any north shore at llandegla really. why don't you find it enjoyable? i find it a nice little challenge.

Yep, the log broadwalks. It's just a case of 'each to their own', but I just find it breaks the rythm and I normally end having to squeeze past people walking it. I'd just prefer it to be smoothed out instead of raised logs...I'm glad someone likes it though. :D
    <insert witty comment here>

Also, I have calculated my FCN as 12...although I have no idea what that actually means.
  • I did the black run at llandega on Sunday and i always ride clipless (Time ones tbh) ive ridden clipless for so long now, i dont think id have wanted to do bits of it with flatties.

Id just give it a go, im so used to clipping out in a hurry, it only takes a fraction of a second, so nothing really to worry about
  • can you slacken the springs off on your mtb's pedals? I've afeeling that being a 'roadie' you'll have your springs really tight which means you won't feel too comfortable unclipping unless you're stopped!
  • I have only been mountain biking the once - so no doubt after a few more goes I will get used to it. I love a challenge. To be honest I was pretty knackered after doing the blue and then carrying on straight onto the red. I appeared to be going quicker than many of the other mountain bikers on the course anyway - will aim to do under 2 and a half hours next time for both.

With the clipless on though I think it makes a huge difference climbing at the beginning of the routes, but also when flying downhill it keeps my feet on the pedals. I could see my feet coming off the pedals if they weren't clipped in.

I also use time, have done on a hybrid I have as well that I have toured on. I use Look Keos on the road bikes and there is a huge difference in the float, particularly with grey cleats.

If this good weather continues I will get there again. My students start back next week though, so looking at a Friday Research day to ensure I am not embarrassed if I go flying or not holding people up in these places.