Related to The Game...

BUICK
BUICK Posts: 362
edited September 2008 in Commuting chat
Like a lot of cyclists onboard here I have a tendency to see a cyclist in the distance up the road as a target to a degree and a bit of motivation to keep up a good pace - but only within a fairly comfortable range of riding effort. I've been struck recently by just how ridiculous some Game players look on the road - for example: yesterday riding home at about 7, with lights on in the evening dimness I round a bend and see a guy in long pants with bushy hair on an old racer (suicide levers and creaky cranks). It's obvious that at the speed I'm going I'm going to overtake him so I check over my shoulder a couple of times and when I get my gap between cars I go. As I go past he gives me a furtive glance and once I get back into the cycle lane I'm aware that the squeaking from his bike is louder and faster than it was previously. I glance back around and he's out of the saddle and getting ready to overtake me! He pulls back in front and SLOWS DOWN! Throughout all this I've kept a consistent speed up apart from backing off slightly before overtaking to get my gap in the traffic. As such I'm soon HAVING to overtake him again because he's slower than me. This time he appears to try to block my way by swinging out to the right as I am going past him! WTF??! Now I'm not saying he IS an 'out' member of the Game that dare not speak it's name, but it's pretty obvious that is what is happening in his head! I wanted to scream GET A GRIP! Instead I put the righteous hammer down just to get away from his dangerous behaviour.

I've also had to have a quiet word with a friend who is new to road biking and 'got the rage' after being overtaken by two girls - he channeled his rage into an uphill attack that has in turn led to him having to go buy a knee support and take some time off! He was also complaining about 'idiots on expensive bikes that don't go fast enough'!? I tried to explain that some of those 'idiots' will be much better cyclists than either of us who are keeping to a training schedule based on power and heartrate and others will actually be enjoying themselves rather than worrying about what he's doing! Not sure it's gone in...
'07 Langster (dropped one tooth from standard gearing)
'07 Tricross Sport with rack and guards
STUNNING custom 953 Bob Jackson *sigh*

Comments

• Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    Similar to my post of this morning on the SCR thread, the guy I was sparring with passed me twice only to then slow down to a point where I was on my brakes waiting for an opportunity to pass him and he only managed to pass again by filtering and eventually RLJing.

It's a shame that there are commuters out there who have a desire to play but no concept of the rules sigh
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • BUICK wrote:
    He was also complaining about 'idiots on expensive bikes that don't go fast enough'!? I tried to explain that some of those 'idiots' will be much better cyclists than either of us who are keeping to a training schedule based on power and heartrate and others will actually be enjoying themselves rather than worrying about what he's doing! Not sure it's gone in...

So true, the damn Game started to play havoc with my training mentality earlier on this year!
  • It's bloomin irritating when you actually find yourself stuck behind slower cyclists due to car traffic... especially if there's a juicy scalp ahead and you're behind a lady on a hybrid with a young child on board. The guilt is too great to try anything silly, but the scalp is fast disappearing.... patience my child... :?
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...I find a damn good bimbling session does the trick sometimes...
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    This morning I had a roadie I was hoping to overtake - speedy but not so much that a 500 yard "not trying" sprint wouldn't have dropped him - and the whole thing was ruined by some c*ck on an mtb wheeling in and out of traffic, RLJing and twice swerving in front of me while trying to find the ideal filter. Eventually the roadie got a good head start on the only doable bit of open road, I caught him only to have to filter again, and this time I came out far enough in the lead for the game to be over with neither of us pwning the other, and tw*tface on the mtb gaily heading off in a different direction as soon as he'd finishing spoiling our game.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    I think it's all a bit silly - but I go on relatlively quiet roads, RLJ and am pretty quick too, so I never see many muppets and don't really think about the game.....In fact, I don't care..