Good cycle lanes?

moonio
moonio Posts: 802
edited September 2008 in Commuting chat
There is a small section of on road cycle lane just over the north side of Blackfriars bridge that has a steep kerb (and railings too I think) which feels very safe and perfect for cyclists.

I also read there may be a section like this going over Southwark Bridge.

What do people feel about these? Are they the way forward for cycling in London? etc etc

Comments

• prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    No.

Creates a real "them and us" atmosphere in both camps.

I'm getting quite militant about this recently, I think cycle lanes could be the death of cycling in london and I wish people would stop bigging them up.

I'd rather see less of them than more of them.

I don't mind pictograms of cycles on the road to remind people in cars that cyclists are about, but cycle lanes, no, no no no no.
  • My commute takes in the pure hell of Acton High Street, Shepherds Bush, Hyde Park Corner and The Embankment/Lower Thames Street.

I consider the section where I am most of risk is the Hyde Park cycle lanes.

As was once said on The Old Forum - there is already a well developed network of cyclelanes called 'roads'.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    all cycle lanes do is give us somewhere to ride and somewhere the drivers know we will be but forget to look as they dont see it as part of the road. this is what causes the accidents. If you ride on the road rather than the cycle lane you will be spotted by the driver and less likely to get hit. It also means you have some form of control over what goes past you and how close. I do not use cycle lanes unless i have to, bus lanes are a different manner but i ride these as they are shown on the road - A FULL LANE

PRIMARY POSITION! ALWAYS!
  • I'm also in the "Better Roads Not Cycle Lanes" camp. And the Southwark Bridge cycle lane has taken what was the safest London bridge in any case, spent ££££ and made it less safe. That is, 1) northbound, where the coaches parking up to the lane result in a less than perfect situation. 2) when silly ***** step into the road there's nowhere to go. Without wanting to cause offence (really!!), I'm afraid that the feeling "there's a wall here I must be safer" is unfortunately similar to that which causes ordinary city people to choose 4x4 cars.

Ham
    ===
    http://londondailyphoto.blogspot.com
  • moonio
    Well, :D
    What about other cities like Copenhagen and Amdam? They are cycling cities and have segregated lanes.

Bikes and other vehicles dont seem to mix very well as everyone wants to claim their space?

What say you?
  • if we could re-build all the roads in the country from scratch, and make quality segregated cycle lanes along every road, with decent ways through/round junctions, and, most importantly, which can't be used as carparks and are maintained and cleaned regularly - then yeah, cycle lanes may then be a good idea.

otherwise, they're really bad, mmmkay?
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Spot on singlespeedxplosif.

This is always worth a click through.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pete.meg/w ... er2008.htm
  • moonio
    ok :D

What about the occasions when the traffic is crawling along at 10 mph or not moving at all, isn't it nice to have a cycle lane then? Or do you like weaving in and out of cars, then giving up and cycling on the pavement? :oops:
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    moonio wrote:
    ok :D

What about the occasions when the traffic is crawling along at 10 mph or not moving at all, isn't it nice to have a cycle lane then? Or do you like weaving in and out of cars, then giving up and cycling on the pavement? :oops:
    this is the only time i use them, but only if there is a massive tailback if im only 2 or 3 cars from the lights then i just stay where i am, i feel safer in the middle of the lane there then sitting at the front waiting for the lights to change with a whole row of traffic behind me