New commuter next year

h i r 0
h i r 0 Posts: 76
edited May 2009 in Commuting chat
I'm so excited, like a child at Christmas, that I just have to share this. I just got the go-ahead from the other half to get one of these on the bike to work scheme next spring (we can only sign up at one particular point in the year.)

2769567862_ace2527fab.jpg

It's the Trek Urban District. A singlespeed belt drive. I love it. I don't know how I can bear to wait 6 months for it.

Comments

• do you reckon it could hack going fixed?
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    That looks like it would be more at home in Amsterdam than Portsmouth!
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    I'll get off the fence.......

I like it. Why not. Pre tarted, bandwagon jumping, elastic band driven, cartoon coloured flying machine....

Hiro - I would caution this - the elastic band drive will limit your options ref gearing downstream - I'd imagine swapping cogs/rings will not be possible or easy.

You might consider a standard chain driven bike - equally tarty but more mechanically mainstream.....
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Good points, and I'd welcome some constructive criticism, especially from anyone who's tested the belt drive.

I figure by next year there will be a couple of these on the road (and the hub geared Soho too) so I might be able to read some reviews by then.
  • That is a seriously sexy beast, mind you if it was mine I think I would cry if it got even the tiniest speck of dirt on it.
    The gear changing, helmet wearing fule.
    FCN :- -1
    Given up waiting for Fast as Fupp to start stalking me
  • there is a belt drive review on the fat cyclist blog...
  • Meh, don't like it I'm afraid - pre tarting takes all the fun out of things! No convinced by belt drives either for the reasons Greg has pointed out.
  • Gilbie
    Gilbie Posts: 99
    Just thought I'd drag this thread up.. Any news on your bike h i r 0 ? Has anyone else heard anything about the Trek District?

I put a deposit on one mid December and cant find any info about delivery dates. My LBS has been great but they keep getting extended delivery dates from Trek. Just been told early April. A recent post on the trekdistrict.com blog says delivery for US is now May! Would Trek deliver to the UK in preference to the US market? As I ordered ages ago I have been told that my 2008 price still stands but cant help thinking that it will be 2010 before I see it. My off road commute is proving a nightmare with the winter conditions and I wanted to get this and use the road more - the chances are the trails will dry out by the time I get it.

Any insider information on if Trek will supply would be greatfully recieved 8)
    h i r 0 wrote:
    I'm so excited, like a child at Christmas, that I just have to share this. I just got the go-ahead from the other half to get one of these on the bike to work scheme next spring (we can only sign up at one particular point in the year.)

2769567862_ace2527fab.jpg

It's the Trek Urban District. A singlespeed belt drive. I love it. I don't know how I can bear to wait 6 months for it.
  • I wonder if you could put a hub gear in there,or at least it would be good if trek had that as an option when ordering.
    The doctor said I needed to start drinking more whiskey. Also, I’m calling myself ‘the doctor’ now
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Meh, don't like it I'm afraid - pre tarting takes all the fun out of things! No convinced by belt drives either for the reasons Greg has pointed out.

belt drives have been "the future" for as long as i can rember and i have a big bushy beard!

the problem is chains are just so good.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    oh nice bike i can see jash's point of can't make it your self but never the less nice bike
  • some drops wouldn't go amiss.
    The doctor said I needed to start drinking more whiskey. Also, I’m calling myself ‘the doctor’ now
  • Gilbie
    Meh, don't like it I'm afraid - pre tarting takes all the fun out of things! No convinced by belt drives either for the reasons Greg has pointed out.

the problem is chains are just so good.

Should be interesting to see it in the flesh - chains are good but at least I wont need to oil it :)
  • Gilbie
    This is now out in the US - hopefully mine is on its way to the UK! :D
    More info / pics on the released bike can be found here = http://thecyclistsite.com/?p=676
    Also a good blog here = http://trekdistrict.com/
  • Gilbie
    Finally arrived last Friday! :D My 1st road bike in over 20+ years and its great fun. Was chucking down with rain this morning, but I didnt care.

After riding MTB's for so long, amazed at how smooth road tyres and wheels are. Now have a choice to ride the off road commute when the trails are dry and get the road bike out when I need to get to work quicker. 8)
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Gilbie - do you commute along Embankment and, if so, did you have a black bin bag over your backpack? I saw a bike similar to this through this morning's downpour.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Gilbie
    cjcp wrote:
    Gilbie - do you commute along Embankment and, if so, did you have a black bin bag over your backpack? I saw a bike similar to this through this morning's downpour.

Nope not me - I'm on the south coast, East Sussex. Could well be another out there, there's only a few Trek Districts in existance at the moment. Certain sizes will be out mid June.