Why so serious!!

pjcs
pjcs Posts: 22
edited September 2008 in Campaign
Hi

Having only just bought a road bike after several years of mountain biking why so many ‘roadies’ are such unfriendly gits! Strong language but true I'm afraid.

My wife and I just came back from a cycling holiday in France and although it was mainly road work we took our MTB's so we could do some off road riding as well. On the road whenever we passed, or were passed, by a roadie it was all friendly smiles and hello's (well, bonjours really) with no discrimination against Camelbaks, 2.1" tyres with knobbly bits and peaks on our helmets. Come back to this country and ......... well, I can only think that the traces of mud on the bike cause instant invisibility. Even on a road bike you're still lucky to get any acknowledgement. Tell me, is there a Masonic type ritual to saying hello that I haven't been initiated into yet or is it that I haven't shaved my legs.

Come on you lot - lighten up!
Bianchi Nirone 7 Alu Xenon - 2008
Rockhopper - 2007
Stumpjumper - 2009
Langster - 2011

Comments

• This crops up a lot - I do normally ackowledge cyclists (be it road or MTB) but I don't let it get to me if I don't get a reply. Do you wave to pedestrains when you're walking?
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • Roadies are the same as normal people, sometimes they have stuff on their minds, sometimes they are trying to avoid being killed and sometimes they are trying to keep up a rhythm and sometimes they are just plain old miserable sods. Get over it.
    I tend to say hello and or give the roadie salute of a raised finger off the handlebars unless I am too knackered.
    The gear changing, helmet wearing fule.
    FCN :- -1
    Given up waiting for Fast as Fupp to start stalking me
  • After reading from the sensitive souls every now and again - I wave to everyone now! The old lad on his BMX, with the windmills on the handlebars was really chuffed :D
  • pjcs
    pjcs Posts: 22
    Do you wave to pedestrains when you're walking?

Depends how good looking they are and if the wife's with me :D
    Bianchi Nirone 7 Alu Xenon - 2008
    Rockhopper - 2007
    Stumpjumper - 2009
    Langster - 2011
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    pjcs wrote:
    Do you wave to pedestrains when you're walking?

Depends how good looking they are and if the wife's with me :D

Thats a good point. We dont salute other pedestrians. :lol: One guy on another forum (which I have just been banned from it seems :lol: ) said he gets REALLY annoyed when pedestrians dont thank him for stopping his car at crossings. I asked him what he'd like, a "thank you for not killing me!" :shock: :lol:
  • downfader wrote:
    [ One guy on another forum (which I have just been banned from it seems :lol: ) said he gets REALLY annoyed when pedestrians dont thank him for stopping his car at crossings. :shock: :lol:

What a b8ll end! And he was probably using his mobile at the time. There's so many nit picking fu8k wits out there these days, God it makes me want to buy a high powered rifle and off a few of 'em :P

sorry :oops:
    'How can an opinion be bullsh1t?' High Fidelity
  • [quote="downfaderThats a good point. We dont salute other pedestrians. :lol: One guy on another forum (which I have just been banned from it seems :lol: ) said he gets REALLY annoyed when pedestrians dont thank him for stopping his car at crossings. I asked him what he'd like, a "thank you for not killing me!" :shock: :lol:[/quote]

If you are walking along the street, say, going to work, sometimes you look at someone and say 'Good Morning', or 'Hi', sometimes you don't. No big deal either way.
    On the road it's different. For me, if you see someone else on two wheels, then I assume that they are a like-minded person, so acknowledgement is in order, thick, knobbly rubber rider or skinny-slick pilot.
    The only time I never responded to a wave was at a time when I really was about to fall off with the bonk. Typically, a group of racing snakes went by the other way and I had to ignore them, as I couldn't even get it together to raise my arm :oops:
    Don't get bent out of shape by a lack of response - there may be a genuine reason for it.
    See Snobcycles' in this soapbox section.

downfader: PanF rocks, 'specially in 120...
    Spring!
    Singlespeeds in town rule.
  • downfader
    unclemalc wrote:

I agree. Cant get hold of the stuff at the moment sadly - very little money :oops: I've only used it in a holga though I have to admit (have used lots of other films in 5x4 though :) )
  • downfader wrote:
    unclemalc wrote:

I agree. Cant get hold of the stuff at the moment sadly - very little money :oops: I've only used it in a holga though I have to admit (have used lots of other films in 5x4 though :) )
    No 1 daughter doing photography at college and I am trying to get her to see the 'true way, via Mamiyaflex 330 etc. This digital stuff..... :?
    No seriously, she's good and digi is fun, but she needs to see what a nice big negative can do. Had an MPP 5x4 for awhile but cost of film and dev was prohibitive.
    Sorry to hijack the thread...you may continue :D
    Spring!
    Singlespeeds in town rule.
  • downfader
    unclemalc wrote:
    downfader wrote:
    unclemalc wrote:

No 1 daughter doing photography at college and I am trying to get her to see the 'true way, via Mamiyaflex 330 etc. This digital stuff..... :?
    No seriously, she's good and digi is fun, but she needs to see what a nice big negative can do. Had an MPP 5x4 for awhile but cost of film and dev was prohibitive.
    Sorry to hijack the thread...you may continue :D

8) :D