Creakings, clickings, tickings, clankings and knockings.

heavymental
heavymental Posts: 2,076
edited August 2019 in Workshop
As there seems to be one a day or so, I thought it might be worth having a permanent place to post questions and answers on mystery bike noises. After a while, if people keep adding to it, we'll have a thread containing all the possible queries, causes and solutions.

So, post any questions (and answers) here.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    From the front of my bike, wheels, carbon forks, handlebars??? I dont know where, there is a weird clicking/creeking noise that happens mostly when I am off the saddle and put any pressure on and rag my bike side to side, this has only just cropped up and it happened even when on the saddle and on some like bumpy bit of road.
  • heavymental
    Might be the computer magnet knocking against the sensor. Wheels will flex a bit under the circumstances you describe. I found that the sensor had moved slightly closer to the spokes, due to a knock or slipping, and so any slight deviation in the wheel caused the magnet to catch on the sensor making a sound like a spoke twanging. Happened when climbing hard or sprinting out of the saddle.
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    I had a similar creaking. Turned out I had the skewers closed too tightly. A little less pressure, and the noise went. (It was mostly when I got out the saddle, that's why I suggest it)
  • I had a creaking noise the other day and could not work out where it was coming. After a while I eventually found it was coming from my cleats rubbing on the metal plate on the pedals.

I have Time Impact pedals.
  • heavymental
    I had a creaking noise the other day and could not work out where it was coming. After a while I eventually found it was coming from my cleats rubbing on the metal plate on the pedals.

I have Time Impact pedals.

How did you fix it Sarge?

I had the same on my A520 SPD's and a bit of finish line chain lube on the contact points solved it. The creaking was getting loud and very annoying at that point but seems to be silent now.
  • Yep, did the same. Placed some lube on the contact points and all seems fine now. I don't think there is any other way round it.

This linkmay be of use to this sticky too.
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    I traced a recent clicking noise to the rear cog. I needed to slacken off the tension in the rear deraileur wire (by turning the relevant barrel adjuster clockwise) - the chain was rubbing as it was effectively trying to change down a gear.
  • Anonymous
    I'm going to take it to the bike shop and tell one of the guys there to have a spin on it and put pressure on etc..., it could be the wheels, not long had them and they where apparently handbuilt.
  • ive recently changed my pedals to the new keo crbons and whenever its damp or wet the left one makes a strange achey creak sound. ive just put it down to the new "grip" cleats.
    anyone else had this?
  • ive recently changed my pedals to the new keo crbons and whenever its damp or wet the left one makes a strange achey creak sound. ive just put it down to the new "grip" cleats.
    anyone else had this?
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Could be anything :D
    I had loose skewers, also tight can cause creaks.
    I have had damaged chain ( which sounded same as crank creaking) which snapped next ride !
    I had shoe cleat noise.
    Loose sprokets also can do it, damaged frame ( worst one).
    recently I have had ( and still have) creak from freehub body on very expensive wheels (apparently known problem!!) which agains sonded same as crank creak.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    I've seen a creaking noise been down to a crank loosening itself slightly, quick heave on the allen key sorts it, until it loosens itself again :?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • kerz
    kerz Posts: 37
    i had a clicking noise which was coming from my carbon seatpost in my carbon frame-i greased it and now it`s fine. the main problem was i could have sworn the noise was coming from anywhere but the seatpost. at one stage i thought it was definitely the clamp on the stem holding the bars !
  • vitesse169
    vitesse169 Posts: 422
    as has been previously stated, creaks & clunks can come from the fork drop outs. i find a little grease on the inside of the drop outs and not so tight on the skewer...
  • boybiker
    boybiker Posts: 531
    I had a nasty creaking on a club ride the other day, it took me ages to work out that it was coming from the bike of the guy who was riding next to me :roll:
    The gear changing, helmet wearing fule.
    FCN :- -1
    Given up waiting for Fast as Fupp to start stalking me
  • Anonymous
    I got the clicking sorted on friday, guy at the shop took the handlebars off and cleaned around the headset, it stopped the clicking, THEN yesterday on a clubrun it started again, was so annoying, the other guys said they could hear it, sounded like my bike was going to fall apart, was really bad now doing it whilst I was sitting down too and my gears need re aligning too as they are making a racket, the bent from mech dont help too :(
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    Useful troubleshooting guide here
    http://www.jimlangley.net/wrench/keepitquiet.html
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • willhub wrote:
    From the front of my bike, wheels, carbon forks, handlebars??? I dont know where, there is a weird clicking/creeking noise that happens mostly when I am off the saddle and put any pressure on and rag my bike side to side, this has only just cropped up and it happened even when on the saddle and on some like bumpy bit of road.

I had a creak from my front end, thought it was the headset, turns out it was the cables and casing moving when I turned, dropped some oil into the casing and let it run down inside and it stopped
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    I've seen a creaking noise been down to a crank loosening itself slightly, quick heave on the allen key sorts it, until it loosens itself again

prevention is way better than a cure here. I've had to replace my crankset because the non-drive crank worked a little loose and ate itself and the axle. boo hoo.
  • bigbelly
    bigbelly Posts: 83
    Creaking from frame somewhere, can't tell quite where it's coming from. Already tried the seatpost, but someone has siggested it may be the rails under the saddle. I have removed the saddle and greased all the points and I'll find out tomorow morning if it's done teh trick.
    shame the rider doesn't match the bike...
  • pedalrog
    pedalrog Posts: 633
    A click was sounding from the right pedal, I thought it was the pedal axle until it was impossible to clip in. The rivet had broken on the pivot of the sprung cleat clip on my Look Keo pedals.
  • tried cleaning and re-greasing the rails under the saddle. Creak remains.
    Took out seatpost (carbon seatpost, carbon frame) cleaned, greased and with carbon assembly paste. Creak remains...
    Will have to check the handlebars and stem next.
    shame the rider doesn't match the bike...
  • TTM
    TTM Posts: 2
    Is it ok to grease stem/handlebar contact points? I have a creak that disappeared for a few rides after removing & cleaning the handlebar. It's back now, worst when riding on drops. Pedaling and rough surface affect too.
  • Not technically a creaking or clanking issue, or anything related to any particular noise at all, but all of a sudden the drive train seems to be skipping a beat, with a regular delay between the downstroke of the pedal and connection with the cranks. I can't see or feel any problem with the chain, and cannot feel any play in the crank arms. Doesn't impede the bike at all, but flippin annoying on a ride.

Might be unrelated, but seemed to appear after I had to stop and change down suddenly at a junction, causing the chain to shift rapidly and awkwardly between chain rings.

Any ideas?
  • My 5 month old well maintained Spec Roubaix Elite has developed a annoying creaking noise from somewhere around the bottom bracket. Its only audible when Im either standing up and riding hard or grinding hard up a hill. It appeared last weekend during my London - Paris ride after riding through 2 very wet days. I have stripped, cleaned oiled and greased my bike since returning but its still there!!!!!!

Being a heavier rider (15st) Im crapping it that its a frame problem. Help and reassurance would be very much appreciated!!
  • JoeBH
    JoeBH Posts: 63
    My road bike has developed an annoying clicking sound. It happens when stomping on either pedal and makes a series of two or three clicks (which are close together) on the downstroke.
    It sounds very similar to when I've had loose crankarms in the past but these are hollowtech II and the two pinch bolts are nice and tight. Any ideas?

Also, my rear freehub (Campag Khamsins) is making some quiet crucnhy clicks in between the standard clicks when you turn the wheel slowly, and doesn't seem to run as smoothly as before. Is it on the way out? It's only about 6 months old! There is also a tiny bit of play in the rear wheel so I guess I need new bearings.
    Are either of these likely to be causing the original clicking?
  • Yep I had similar problem. I checked all my bolts on the bike and a few were loos. This solved the problem. But during the normal run of things I do get some ticks usually from my saddle rails, a quick squirt with WD40 stops it for a while. :roll:
  • most annoying one I had persisted despite trying all of the above - eventually took it to local shop who thought it was coming from the brake cables - replaced the cables and noise went! Never had any noise using the brakes, just strange creaking that I thought was coming from the bottom bracket!!
    Another persistent one on my old bike was where the spokes crossed over - they tended to creak if too loose or too tight!
    Hope that helps.
  • I had a very annoying squeak when on a ride - but only when I was putting power down and only when doing so with my left foot.

I spent ages cycling along 'listening' to my bike trying to isolate the noise, and plenty of time checking all the welds and joins to ensure nothing was cracked etc.

After 50 miles I worked it out. It was a wet (very wet) day and the squeak was caused by my neoprene overshoe rubbing on the crank - which due to some perversion in my pedal stroke only happened on the left hand side when under pressure.

It was a satisfying spot!
  • Most mysterious noise I ever had was a fairly loud and annoying clicking when peddling hard on my newly assembled Litespeed Vortex. To cut a very long story short (one which involved stripping the headset and bottom bracket several times !) I found it was coming from one of the bottle cage bosses. The Litespeed has bosses that are inserted into holes in the frame rather then welded in. One was a little loose so whenever the down tube was strained, e.g. when peddling hard up a hill, a little movement occurred causing the noise. Once the problem was identified it was less than a minute's work to remedy by removing the bottle cage, inserting a M5 bolt and tightening it hard. This drew the inner and outer halves of the boss together firmly - problem solved.
    Just goes to show that noise can occur from anywhere there is metal to metal contact.
    Regards