Routes suitable for training?

CompleteNewbie
CompleteNewbie Posts: 28
edited September 2008 in Road beginners
Has anybody got routes around the Medway Kent area, that they recommend? Suitable for a novice?

This is so that I can gain a level of fitness and speed before joining a club.

Also are there any good sites to use to plot routes showing overall climbs etc?

Cheers guys. :D

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,860
    Has anybody got routes around the Medway Kent area, that they recommend? Suitable for a novice?

This is so that I can gain a level of fitness and speed before joining a club.

Also are there any good sites to use to plot routes showing overall climbs etc?

Cheers guys. :D

can be intimidating joining a ride thinking your going to be the guy blasted out the back

I was that sorry cyclist

join the club they will sort you out... one way or the other.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    I use this site. Living in Norfolk most of my riding is done on country lanes. I try to avoid main roads as much as possible.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/

I'm also trying to build up cycling fitness to join a club but I think I'm some way off yet.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • Midi, so you turned out alright in the end then?
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,860
    Midi, so you turned out alright in the end then?

well I didn't end up on the podium at the tour but i wasn't bad at the winter training rides to the tea hut.. which is as anybody in know knows is where its really at...

riding with people faster than yourself makes you faster...quicker than just about any other reasonably simple method.

any half decent club will fit you in..they will be glad of a extra member.

the usual practice is to wait at the top of the climbs to let the slow guys/gals back on unless its the frisky run in to "last one gets the teas" in which case you will probably be buying

depends a lot on club culture.. bring some cash to buy the teas

if they're good at bringing people in they will hurt you with out smashing you to pieces and slapping you all over the kent downs

basically its all about suffering..

riding regularly at some sort of pace will make one fitter than you can believe.. get on with it.

have fun

you will learn a lot quickly..you will also notice a big improvement to start with followed by the frustration or realisation classy performances (measured against ones expectations) requires a good deal of dedication and effort..

at worst you will realise it aint for you.. might as well find out now
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Top advice cheers Midi!!
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    try www.mapmyride.com, lets you plan routes and will even give you elevation as well.