Which Brakes ?

Zidane
Zidane Posts: 140
edited September 2008 in MTB buying advice
Hi, I am sat with a set of Avid Juicy 7's (07) in my basket at £120 for the pair, and thought I would ask if they are a worthwhile purchase before I hit the buy button.
I am upgrading from some 2 year old Shimano mechanical disc brakes.
I did have a budget of around £100 for a full set, so if anyone can recommend anything better I would appreciate it.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Following some advice on here I brought these:

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=produ ... goryId=130[/url]

Easy to lock the back wheel with one finger! They are also less that £100 for the pair, bargin!
  • Zidane
    I've not heard anything about those, thanks. They are on the shortlist.
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    £120 for Juicy 7s is a bargain, great brakes, even a set of Juicy 3s would set you back £100. I'd personally have them over a set of Stroker Rydes, Rydes use smaller pads than the better Stroker Trails, hence have worse modulation and don't handle heat as well. They also lose the easy reach adjustment, minor thing I know.

Loved the shape of my new '08 XT discs so bought a set of the new '09 SLX yesterday.

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=product&productId=1450&categoryId=115

Needed something with centerlock rotors, Merlin agreed to swap them. Really easy to maintain, very good modulation, massive pad clearance, much less time spent sorting them in general.
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    Juicy 7's come very highly rated
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • red eye
    red eye Posts: 264
    i love my juicy 7s. altho the back makes a sort of choppy sound and they both squeal in the wet and the day after but i can live with that.
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    I have the higher spec Hayes Strokers (Trail version) also recommend them, light enough, great stopping power and good modulation as well.
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • If I was you I would get the Juicy 7's. Especially for the price your paying for them :D
  • thats a very good price on the 7's...if you dont mind me asking, have you found them at that price on the net? *hint*hint* 8)
  • Zidane
    I found them at £59.97 each in the Edinburgh Bicycle sale (will they come with everything needed for mounting ?. I don't know which ones to go for, I was thinking of getting some Juicy 3's at first as they were a pretty cheap option but the 7's seemed a better buy for about £20 extra.
    I just want something that's reliable and easy to fit and maintain.
    Thanks for all the advice.
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    They usually come pre-bled and ready to go. Basically you just attach them to your bike, nothing else required. The only thing that can need changing is the hose length, unless it's really crazy I doubt you'll need to do this instantly though.

I'd pay another £20 for Juicy 7s, the price difference is usually miles more than that. The brakes are similar in performance, the construction of the levers differs though, easier reach adjustment etc.
  • K88 MUD
    K88 MUD Posts: 101
    Not sure if i can post this but i have a set off my marin east peak for sale...........had almost no use as i upgraded to hope.......not 100% which juicy's they are untill in the morning.
    PM me if you are interested........cheap too :wink:
    Looking for a mtb riding partner............
  • Zidane
    Thanks guys, I have gone for the Juicy 7's though. I have scanned around the usual retailers I use and this was the cheapest by a considerable distance pricewise.
    Gives me some time now to swot up on how to fit them. Only thing is I think I may have to get some new shifters as well as the ones I have on at the moment seem to be a gears and brake combo and I don't think they can be seperated ?

ef50ze7.th.jpg
  • unfortunately not.

my advice would be to get on ebay and buy some used deore/deore lx shifter pods for the correct number of gears.

What bike by the way?
  • Zidane
    Thanks. It's a Hardrock Sport disc 06. Would these work ok ?
    http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/Product/0/ ... spair.html
    Would they need to be Shimano shifters or are others such as Sram compatible ? and are they pretty simple to fit ?
    Thanks.
  • Team515
    Team515 Posts: 141
    I also got the hayes brakes from merlin, and they seem to be working fine
  • the ones in that link would be fine, so long as your bike is definitely 8 speed as well (which as far as i know it is)
    you could get SRAM named shifters, as these are compatible with shimano mechs, but they are more expensive i think, named attack and rocket. linky below if you are interested.
    tbh your best bet is to go for something like those alivios

Sram Attack

with reagrds to fitting, just a case of putting them on the bars, and to fit cable you probably just need to unscrew the cap, push the cable out (kinda like the metal end on a brake cable but smaller) then run it in the new shifter. that was terrible, but if you have some technical nouse you shoud be ok to figure it out.

Hope that helps :roll:
  • Zidane
    Thanks. Edinburgh Bicycle have contacted me to say they don't have both a front and rear in stock now even though they did when I ordered so iy looks like I might go for the Hayes ones mentioned earlier :(
  • Team515
    Team515 Posts: 141
    I got these shifters when i got the hayes brakes from merlin.
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=produ ... egoryId=84

Both been working great so far
  • Zidane
    I didn't get the Juicys from Edinburgh bike as the were out of stock, I think I might go for some Juicy BB7's as I have been reading around and they seem like the best mechanical brake for the money.
    If I go down that road will my dual controls be compatible ? Or is it worth upgrading them anyhow.
    Thanks again.
  • Zidane
    Ok, I've still not made up my mind as I was going to get some Juicy 3's but have heard a few good things about Shimano LX brakes.
    Anyone here have any experience of them and is this a good deal ?
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=produ ... goryId=115

Thanks again.
  • Zidane
    In the end I have opted for some Juicy's. The one thing I don't know is my current rotors are Centrelock, can I use standard 6 bolt rotors ? and if so do I need some sort of adapter ?
    Thanks.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    there are adaptors or you can just leave the discs and use them, presuming that the new brakes are the same size.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Zidane
    I'll check when they arrive thanks mate. I'd like to put bigger ones on though eventually.