Rockhopper Disc 08 Vs Commencal Combi Disc

rob13
rob13 Posts: 430
edited September 2008 in MTB beginners
I just cant choose between these 2 bikes. I did have the Scott Reflex 20 and GT Avalanche 1.0 Disc in the mix but have taken these 2 out because of the lesser frame. The Commencal seems to be getting good reviews, and having read about the Rockhopper not being able to handle some of the techy stuff, its put me off a bit. I like to be hitting the open trails at times but also want a bike capable of the black & red routes at Hamsterley Forest. The price point is £500-£600 and I'm looking for a hardtail which will give me years of enjoyment with opportunities to upgrade.

Is there a complete all rounder at this price?

Comments

• BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    Go to a shop which stocks them and sit on them. If you can't choose between them on paper then if one feels better when you sit on it, it should be an easy choice :D
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • clas
    clas Posts: 187
    the commencal
    its really really great
    the wife nearly bought one but continued her infatuation with Kona. which was in my opinion a BAAAD choice!
    I never touched it! It was broke when I got here.
  • janwal
    janwal Posts: 489
    Rob13 have a look at the CUBE ACID.It is in your price range and has better components in all respects.Have had mine 4 months now and can't fault it,brilliant bikes.
  • creamsoda
    creamsoda Posts: 235
    Rob13 wrote:
    I just cant choose between these 2 bikes. I did have the Scott Reflex 20 and GT Avalanche 1.0 Disc in the mix but have taken these 2 out because of the lesser frame. The Commencal seems to be getting good reviews, and having read about the Rockhopper not being able to handle some of the techy stuff, its put me off a bit. I like to be hitting the open trails at times but also want a bike capable of the black & red routes at Hamsterley Forest. The price point is £500-£600 and I'm looking for a hardtail which will give me years of enjoyment with opportunities to upgrade.

Is there a complete all rounder at this price?

I think the Rockhopper comes fitted with the Tora fork and the Commencal comes fitted with the Dart and the Tora is far superior to the Dart so i'd say go Spesh.
  • papasmurf.
    papasmurf. Posts: 2,382
    Merlin Malt... Merlin got money of on complete bikes on the site at the mo.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Try a few out. Spec wise the Hopper does it for me - best frame there is for this money, top fork, Avid hydros and full shimano batting line up makes for a great package. Tora blows the Darts away.
  • rob13
    but are the Combi & Hopper not totally different bikes? The Hopper seems to be more race orientated whereas the Combi seems to be better at Singletrack?

Cube looks a tasty bike but I really want to be able to test the bike before buying. Ive done this on level ground with the Combi & Hopper and found them very similar doing that. I also tried a Kona but didnt like it, as well as the GT Avalanche which didnt quite feel right...
  • supersonic
    Not really different bikes, both aimed at general trail riding. There is always a bit of overlap, so its what feels best for you on your terrain. Spec wise the Hopper is better.
  • rob13
    Just looked at the Scott Aspect again- but aspect 10 with 6061 frame, Toras, XT rear mech etc

Surely this is a contender as well?

Out of the 3 which is the better frame? The bikeradar review gives the hopper a bit of a mixed review saying that it is a bit shaky over trails....
  • supersonic
    The Hopper is the best frame IMHO, the m4 tubing is good stuff and builds into a light, but stiff frame.
  • rob13
    decided on the 'hopper. Took them both for a test ride and the Hopper just felt better for me. Cant wait to get one next week.
  • Good choice, since I got mine a few months ago there's been nothing but a big grin on my face when I take it out.
    2008 Rockhopper Disc (Silver)
    2009 RockShox SID Race forks.
    XT Drivetrain
    Continental Speed Kings (PR) Traction
    Garmin 705 Navigation
    Fat bloke on a bike engine
  • i can get a combi disk 08 model for £375 and the rockhopper minimum price £500 is the rockhopper worth the extra £125 ????
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    clas wrote:
    the commencal
    its really really great
    +1 great bike
  • blitz, would recommend the commencal then ? good off road ? good spec
  • .blitz
    A mate bought a Supernormal earlier this year and loves it to bits. It really flies on the climbs http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=product&productId=1378&categoryId=129

Not a Combi Disc I know and it's probably no better than say a Rockhopper Pro but it's a bit 'different' IYKWIM
  • just been to merlins and bought 2 combi disks for £720 which i thought was a cracking deal for the 2 bikes !
    one for me one for the wife
  • .blitz
    Nice one. You're making me jealous :)
  • soon as i clapped eyes on them i was taken , the grey version i got and they llook the dog's bud, sat on them and that was it, had to have one, wife was with me and she was originally going to get a avalanche 3 disc womens but for £60 more she got one of them too, spec blows the avalanche 3 away really.
    am a very happy chappy and will be even more so when i go and pick them up from Merlins on Wed.
    last thing i would like to thank everyone on the forum who have give me there opinions over the weeks on different bikes and i hope i can help others out in the future, great site cheers everyone
  • I was just about to reply to your post from yesterday about the suitability of the Disc to meet you needs, but saw this thread. Wish I'd been able to travel up to Merlin myself, but I'm more than happy with the Combi Deluxe they sent me last week.
  • as i said the guy's at merlin were first class and the combi deluxe is a classy looking bike with an excellent spec IMO