Advice for a novice

hartley72
hartley72 Posts: 8
edited September 2008 in MTB beginners
hi everyone im a virgin on here so be gentle!!,im looking for some advice, on the 30th Sept im doing a charity ride from skegness to sheffield,im relatively fit basically ive been in training for it im at the gym every other day,im biking up yo 40 miles every 5 days,can anyone give me any advice on how to step things up??

ive been hitting the hills to build my stamina and ive been taking maximuscle viper energy & recovery supplement(any other suggestions)

thanks peeps

Comments

• Is this 40 miles over 5 days or a 40 mile ride every 5 days?

How far is the ride going to be? you need to be getting close to it by now and easing off your training a week before.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • zero303
    zero303 Posts: 1,162
    Week off the week before and sensible eating will be essential...
  • zero303
    zero303 Posts: 1,162
    Lay off this stuff too "maximuscle viper energy & recovery supplement"

Just eat something sensible within 30 mins of finishing and take an electrolyte tab of sorts in a drink - I really like Nuun tablets...

And drink lots...

In terms of stepping things up, keep doing your 40 miler but do a shorter more intensive ride in between and on rest days go for walks and stuff to keep you supple and loose.

Stretch afterwards and also every night before you go to bed.
  • thanks peeps great help will be taking your advice,40 miles at once, any reason i should stay off the viper????

the ride is roughly 90 miles

what are nuun tablets zero??

also what drink shall i take on the ride

silly one this but tend to get dizzy in the latter stages any help on this???

ive been told to take several mars bars
    ta
  • mars for energy not dizzyness!! :lol:
  • hartley72 wrote:
    thanks peeps great help will be taking your advice,40 miles at once,

the ride is roughly 90 miles

you need to up your milage then, I'd aim for getting up to 70 miles before you do the event. You may not have time to get up to the 90 miles before then.

also what drink shall i take on the ride

I take water in one bottle, and a bottle of energy drink. normally maxim maltodextrose mix with 50% pure orange juice.

silly one this but tend to get dizzy in the latter stages any help on this???

ta

Are you eating throughout your rides? You need to be taking in carbs to help fuel your riding efforts, a mouthful or two every half hour. I use cake/cereal bars like alpen bars ginger cake and energy gels with caffiene.
    --
  • forgive my ignorace andrew but what is/benefits of maxim maltodextrose?????

thanks for advice
  • maxim is the brand, maltodextrin is the product. this is the basis of many energy drinks, it has a neutral flavour, is easily absorbed, can be mixed with anything, sprinkled on food/soups/tea/coffee/water.

The benefits of using this during a ride is to top up muscle glycogen that is used during cycling. if the glycogen is used up before the end of the ride the muscles have to get their energy from elsewhere, this can be from fat or proteins but is less efficient than glycogen. if the body starts using up protiens to fuel the exercise, then these are probably coming from the muscle itself, this causes ketoacidosis and long term can damage the kidneys.

Many energy drinks also put in electrolytes to help balance the potential loss of salts via sweat. I don't subscribe to the proposed values of putting in lots of unnecessary salts into the body but i am trying a hypotonic mix at the moment.
    --
  • well peeps took your advice and managed to do a 50 mile ride with some major hills!!!!with no adverse effects

basically i ate and drank sensibly,but im going to need more tips for the last 30!!!

so anymore tips????

i fear i may struggle :(
    cheers
  • i think you will find the last leg of the ride is where you will step it up to carry on to finish.
  • hope so dark

right finally when i start this ride what do i need in my rucksack to keep me going for 90miles :roll:
  • more of whatever you like, bananas, cake, gel, whatever you can stomach.

For a long ride it's going to be tough near the end, otherwise you would be riding further until it gets tough near the end.

put some bum cream in the pack as well, you may need it.
    --
  • :lol: andrew,different people are telling me different things ive been told protein too,whats gel and where can i purchase????

ive got the vasaline packed!!!! :lol: