Advice Please

glengibson
glengibson Posts: 17
edited September 2008 in Training, fitness and health
Hi all I am new to the forum.

I have just recently built myself a bike after been out of cycling for about 20 years! (got in to drink women marriage kids etc) i am 35 now but was quite good locally when i was a school boy.

i have very low fitness at the moment due to zero exercise and smoking for the best part of the last 18 years! so i was wondering if anyone could recommend to me how to start off training?

i have been going out for approx 1 hour every other day (when possible) on the same route which is a varied hilly/flat course of about 16.5 miles. (don't laugh at my slow time)

eventually (when fit) i would like to enter into some time trials etc (but not until i am) i am 6ft 2" and approx 100kg / just under 16 stone and would like to lose a bit of weight round the old stomach area (over eating)

Any advice would be great thanks!!!

Glen

Comments

• Right to start with i was 20 stone when i started so dont worry about the flab! Helpful hints would be dont always do the same route. Vary it and do it in different ways. Plus build up your mileage a bit and ride regularly if you want to loose weight. Most importantly try and find a friendly local club witrh begginers rides and give the real thing a go. Ive lost 3.5 stone since christmas got my 10 mile tt time down from 33 mins to 25:15 regularly ride 200 miles plus a week and have recently finished 2sportives in gold standard times. Just takes effort and a bit of time, the improvements will be amazing if you commit to it and dont make excuses for yourself. Good luck!
  • I have just started riding i have managed to lose just over 3 stone in 4 months.Riding a few times a week but i go to the gym every day.I use a heart rate monitor and trying to improve my vo2 max.The main thing is diet and cut out drink.Before i started i got through a bottle of wine a night.I am going to join a local club as i need to spend more time on the bike and less in the gym.Give it time and enjoy riding and the weight will come off
  • bryan71 wrote:
    I have just started riding i have managed to lose just over 3 stone in 4 months.Riding a few times a week but i go to the gym every day.I use a heart rate monitor and trying to improve my vo2 max.The main thing is diet and cut out drink.Before i started i got through a bottle of wine a night.I am going to join a local club as i need to spend more time on the bike and less in the gym.Give it time and enjoy riding and the weight will come off

Bryan,

congrats on the weight loss but there is such a thing as losing weight too fast...be careful not to rebound.
    17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!
  • Thanks for the replys regarding weight loss. This is however only a very small part of why i wanted to get back into cycling.

I would still appreciate if anyone could advise me of what i should be doing training wise, regarding distances time etc??

Cheers
    :lol:
  • No i don't think i will put it back on.As i have changed my life style.My diet has changed for the better and i no longer wish to drink.And i love exercise.And i hope to race once i lose a bit more weight and fitness is a bit stronger.
  • I was unsure what to do regarding training.But i think the best thing to do is to join a local club as you will beable to go on club rides once you have done a number of 50 miles fitness will improve.I thought about getting a coach.But guys in the club will give loads of good advise.All i do at present is to try and ride a bit further distance each time.
  • glengibson wrote:

I would still appreciate if anyone could advise me of what i should be doing training wise, regarding distances time etc??

Cheers
    :lol:

Build it up slowly. It is important to build up a good base level of fitness first - this will involve building up the length of your rides. Try to increase the distance by 5% - 10% a week. Don't forget to give your self adequate rest, or you good become ill.

Once you've built up a good base (personally I would say once you're happy with a 40 - 50 mile ride), try incorporating some intervals into you training, and beasting yourself on some shorter, faster rides. This will then increase your speed.

Don't try too much too soon - build it up slowly. Happy training :D
    We are all full of weakness and errors; let us mutually pardon each other our follies - it is the first law of nature.
    Voltaire