Circuit of Kent Sportive - 14 Sep 08

shane515
shane515 Posts: 139
Hi all

Anyone else doing the Kent Sportive on Sunday 14 Sep 08? It will be my first 'real' sportive :shock: , I am planning to ride it with a mate who is a bit of a sportive vet !!

www.kentcyclosportive.co.uk

May see you there,

Shane
www.justgiving.com/p2p2008

Comments

• giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    No I'm not but it does look a good one to do. Best of luck with it mate.
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Yeah I am doing this as it is very local to me, should be a good day hopefully. Will be my second sportive.
  • shane515
    shane515 Posts: 139
    Thanks Giant, am really looking forward to it (I think). I am off on the RBL's Pedal To Paris the week before (4-7 Sep), so should have plenty of miles in the old legs.

Good luck with the ride SBEZZA have you done this one before or was it another sportive? A few mates who have done it before say its a really well organised event!

Shane
  • SBezza
    This will be my first time on this event, I am doing my first sportive this weekend coming, I am doing the Test Valley Tour in Hampshire.

I have been told by several members of my cycle club, that is a well run day, and a nice course as well, so it should be a good day.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Yep will be riding it.

Looking forward to it as I'm told it well organised and a great route.
  • Coming down from Yorkshire to do it. Looking forward to some flat roads for a change.
  • venster
    venster Posts: 356
    Me and a mate are doing it this year for the first time....
  • ive ridden it the last two years it is very well organised

a great route mainly quiet lanes and some good hills such as

roughway lane , yalding hill and the climb back up to godden green finish

from underiver i think its called one tree hill

enjoy !!! see you there .... :D:D:D:D

• Is this ride closed to entries now? Can't see an 'enter' button on the site... :?:
    purplehaze
  • It's closed for pre-entry, but you can turn up on the day: http://www.kentcyclosportive.co.uk/onli ... ation.html
  • It's closed for pre-entry, but you can turn up on the day: http://www.kentcyclosportive.co.uk/onli ... ation.html

many thanks Canterbury Tailwind - much appreciated.
    purplehaze
  • ARob
    ARob Posts: 143
    i'm doing it - will be my second sportive. the route isn't all that hilly (live in yalding so know most of it) but the time to get a silver or whatever looks somewhat fearsome!

if you're at the back and see someone gasping, say hi! :shock:
  • I am doing this on Sunday and it will be my first Sportive. Do the organisers provide feeding stations or is it a case of bringing your own for the duration. I am a little worried about my fluid intake as I am doing the 140k....
  • SBezza
    There are 2 feed stations, Frittenden and Claygate, where there is food, water and toilets. If you have 2 750ml bottles you should be fine.

Frittenden is about 33 miles, and Claygate about 55 miles, from what I can estimate.
  • Gazzaputt
    Anyone know of a GPX route for this ride?
  • SBezza
    I haven't got a GPX for the route, but I do have the route on Map My Ride, you can download a GPX file, not sure how well it works, link below.

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-ki ... 8326129019

I was out on a club ride today, and saw large arrows which I assume are en route, so I would expect it to be well signed.
  • Gazzaputt
    But overnight I know I few can go walkies!

Cheers for that let you know how I get on.
  • Nice one SBEZZA, route loaded into the Garmin......test it tomorrow :D

Shane
  • ARob
    cheers for that. am confused now as looks like its 74 miles from this but i thought was 140 km or more like 87 miles? anyone know how much
  • SBezza
    That was based on the map supplied on the website of the sportive. It doesn't seem to be 140km I will admit, but it is accurate to the route map supplied on the website, so not sure if the route on the website is slightly out, or it isn't quite 140km.
  • Gazzaputt
    Thanks sbezza worked a treat. I have to say disappointed with the length of the route.
  • SBezza
    Well it was 79.5 miles in the end, so just short of 140km. They generally have some leaway in these events.

How did everyone get on, and did you enjoy the last climb to the finish.

I missed gold by 4 lousy mins, was a bit gutted, if it wasn't for the level crossing and the headcorn traffic lights twice, might have just made it, then again I might have missed it still, and be even more gutted.

I did 4.17 in the end, but the last hill (One Tree Hill) was a killer, could have probably walked up quicker. Well organised event, even though some of the junctions could have done with a marshall on them. Cracking day as well, couldn't of asked for better weather.
  • ARob
    got silver - just by about 2 mins.

knew it was close going up that last climb so went for it but was nearly sick at the end!

such a well organised event - what great people to give up their sunday to do this and raise money. weather made it too.

just at the moment am a little tender in the guset area and dont want to look at a bike again until at least... well next weekend anyway.

(kent and sussex courier said they would do a follow up (my work did a press release and got something into that and KM) so if anyone local has any quotes i'll pass them on.)
  • ARob
    SBezza wrote:
    Well it was 79.5 miles in the end, so just short of 140km. They generally have some leaway in these events.

How did everyone get on, and did you enjoy the last climb to the finish.

I missed gold by 4 lousy mins, was a bit gutted, if it wasn't for the level crossing and the headcorn traffic lights twice, might have just made it, then again I might have missed it still, and be even more gutted.

I did 4.17 in the end, but the last hill (One Tree Hill) was a killer, could have probably walked up quicker. Well organised event, even though some of the junctions could have done with a marshall on them. Cracking day as well, couldn't of asked for better weather.

according to my garmin it was a shade under 600 feet at a max gradiant of 24-26% ...steep :shock:
  • Like you, SBezza, I missed the gold by a fraction clocking 4:16, after being held up at the level crossing and the traffic lights. Having said that, I was pedalling squares at the end and all I could do was grind up One Tree Hill - there was no way I was going to get off and walk though 8)

Done this event three times now and it's always well organised. Times are getting better each time, maybe next year will finally get that gold!

The results are up on the official page already - there's some remarkably good times for the full distance. Don't want to cast suspicions, but some are better than 40 kmh - maybe some people chose not to do the full distance after all.

It's a fairly challenging ride and I'd recommend it to anyone, especially those starting out kicked off the sportive habit.
  • SBezza
    Yeah I noticed some of the times, especially one of the ladies getting 3 hours, yet the fastest man was 3:03, now I would expect with that many people taking part, there would be a faster men than the fastest lady.

I only stopped for about 2 mins at a food stop as well, so it wasn't if I wasted much time, getting into groups doing 25mph + helped even though I was struggling to hold on to the back of them, but it helped the time massively.
  • Gazzaputt
    Bronze :cry:

3 Punctures and one mechanical with the chain gave me 5.10

Actual ride time was 4.31.

That last hill was an absolute killer. I think I was so trying catch back time and just didn't leave enough in the tank for that so just spun up it.
  • I was ill the night before :oops: so the 140k was out the question for me :( but managed the short distance just under 3 hours.........after leaving breakfast on One Tree Hill.......sorry bit too much information there :shock:

But overall excellent event/day, really well organised and the weather was icing on the cake, entries for next year available already, may find myself signing up today :lol:

Shane