FAO Runners

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited September 2008 in The Crudcatcher
please recommend me a new pair of trainers.

they need to offer good cushioning (i am a big old unit), good off road grip and around 60 quid (but more if you can say why)

as for running style, think new born giraffe for around 7-8 miles, 3 times a week

Comments

• Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Sheeps -highly recommend Asics Morikos - proper off road running shoe with Gore-tex - had mine a year and placed in the top 1/10 in every trail 10k so far so I reckon they must be okay!

If you have HUGE feet - these are on for £20!!

http://achillesheel.co.uk/sale.php/off/ ... oriko_gore

But otherwise:

http://www.milletsports.co.uk/productmore.php?pid=7670 for last years (which I have)

or

http://www.kickbacksports.co.uk/Product ... 02586.aspx for this years.

Fit is vital though and they suit a neutral running stance.
  • jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    I like these:

http://www.newitts.com/product/IT023512 ... t=IT023512

What you'll find is that off road shoes tend to have stripped down cushioning as you'll need more flexibility about the sole due to the terrain.
  • Shoes are personal you'll have your own running gait.

If you can find a *decent* running shop they'll be able to do gait analysis on you and find trainers to suit.
  • Surf-Matt
    Apollo - Sheeps is in the Army so does a lot of running and so probably knows his gait!
  • Anonymous
    i have never had my gait analysed to be honest but know a little about what is done as it is something alot of the lads have checked for themselves before every shoe purchase (not least cause our new physio-therapist will do it for free!) and buy their shoes accordingly. im pretty sure i am a pronator. i have very flat arches (my feet are like puddles of skin) and my shoes dont wear particulalry hard but when they do, it is the outside of the heal but pretty much no where else.

i have no pain or undue pressure on any of my toes so feel like i am pushing off evenly with the front of my foot

am i right in thinking i am a pronator?

for the most part i only ever buy shoes with decent levels of cushioning and i always pay attention to the grip as most of my running tends to be in wet off road conditions so i need some help with my tendency to slip ales uber the plaz

my current shoes are mizuno wave ascend and they have been spot on but are getting a bit tired so i want something similar
  • Surf-Matt
    Sheeps -you are right there. Got shoe inserts in mine for a similar issue.
    The Asics I have always feel like they are helping you along, correcting little mistakes.

Very good shoes but if the Mizunos work and it, I'd stick with them.
  • I over-pronate & find Saucony shoes suit me very well without the need for an added insole. Or can you get the same shoes that you currently have from anywhere? Internet search perhaps?

Best advice I can give is go to a good running shop who will have a look at your gait & let you try on different trainers till you get the ones that suit you best. Useful to be able to tell then that you over-pronate.
  • am i right in thinking i am a pronator?

You're landing heel first, assuming there's no issue with the bone structure in your foot then this is a big factor in why you pronate so badly.

Don't reach so far forward with your legs, quicken your cadence and take shorter strides.

Landing heel first results in over-pronation, leading to posterior tibial tendon issues and further up the chain knee issues.
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    please recommend me a new pair of trainers.

they need to offer good cushioning (i am a big old unit), good off road grip and around 60 quid (but more if you can say why)

as for running style, think new born giraffe for around 7-8 miles, 3 times a week

Theres a sports place in Pompey called Alexandrias I think.. They say ideally the serious sportsman needs to have a proper fitting and they evaluate your feet and running style. If you can find anywhere like that I'd recomend a trip as it may ease your running. :)
  • Surf-Matt
    Sheeps - did you get any in the end?

Just ordered a pair of these yellow trainers of joy - a slight upgrade on my Morikos:

asics-gel-trail-sensor-2-wp-08-med.jpg
  • Salomon are awesome - Ive had them for years and the goretex ones are kickass but iff on a budget then the non gore tex ones are really light and amazing grip. and they look awesome.

field and trek do them - take a look in store or online for some or most outdoor shops

121011524vb.png

salomon-speedcross-2.jpg

salomon-xt-wings-med.jpg
    Hardtails aren't called hardcore for no reason

Giant STP: http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1996804/
    Spesh Hardrock: http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1996822/
  • Surf-Matt
    Trainers arrive today (thanks Wiggle!) - just missed my PB (by 12s - set the PB in dry conditions, cool air, before my knee went a bit squiffy) for my trail run of 7km in horribly muddy conditions so pretty impressed!
  • Anonymous
    not bought any yet, havent done any running for the last 2 weeks due to work (which is odd as running is a big part of my work!!)

i like the look of the asics you have bought matt, i might stretch the budget a bit, that said, im gonna be away for the next week aswell :?
  • But looks don't tell you how well they suit your feet!

For the sake of your feet & comfort, go to a shop to different ones on..... even if you end up buying online you'll at least know what is the best fit in advance.
  • Anonymous
    But looks don't tell you how well they suit your feet!

For the sake of your feet & comfort, go to a shop to different ones on..... even if you end up buying online you'll at least know what is the best fit in advance.

very true and it is exactly what i would do (sorry to any potential running shops)