The FIA are a bunch of boy loving mongos

Parsnip49
Parsnip49 Posts: 205
edited September 2008 in Campaign
The race yesterday was one of the best i have watched in a long time, Spa is always a good one and the amount of overtaking going on yesterday was great to watch. Up until about 8 last night when i spoke with a mate about it, it was the best race of the season (maybe second only to DC making the podium) I was blissfully unaware what had happened to the race results.

The FIA have shot themselves in the foot with this one, with Ferrari getting away with murder at the last race in the pits - not only massa nearly taking out sutil and getting away with it (a slap on the wrists and a fine) but raikonnen nearly topping one of his mechanics - it smacks a lot of favoritism, and wont stick well with the media or the general public. It will also get the wool-brained pc eejits going "ooooooh, racism"

What i saw yesterday was racing, and the FIA have peanalised a driver for doing so.

The way i see it - Hamilton goes for the pass into the bus stop, Raikonnen goes off line and is ultra defensive - which i think is acceptable, a driver is allowed to make a line change to defend a position, not sure of the legalities of doing it in a corner though - totally acceptable racing in my eyes, legal or not. Hamilton is faced with pulling out of the move and cutting the chicane or hitting raikonnen, he (sensibly) does the former. He then slows by 6km/h (from Mclaren telemetry) and lets raikonnen back through. Raikonnen then swerves about i imagine to break the slipstream hamilton has (which is illegal as far as im aware - 1 defensive move to block i thought?) Hamilton takes him under brakes in the next corner, raikonnen hits him, they both get away.

Good racing, good to watch.

The penalty imposed is ridiculous - it was racing and incidents like this happen - its the very reason places like the bus stop have a large run off - cutting the corner and giving the place back is a better alternative than piling into a wall.

I could go on, but this is turning into an essay rather than a rant, and i havent swore nearly enough for it to be in the soapbox. f**king c**ting motherf**ker. There.

Comments

• SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    I am a Ferrari fan, but the penatly is a joke, there is no way Hamilton and McLaren should have the penatly, and I hope the appeal works.

This sort of thing does nothing for F1, and to have to have the drivers helped out becuase of a slight error from Hamilton, which he corrected by letting Kimi back through is a bit low.

I hope the FIA will apply a similar penatly to everyone who cuts the corner next time, whether or not the driver then reliquishes the position, but of course they won't as they are on a determined witch-hunt of McLaren (and that comes from a Ferrari fan).
  • fizz
    fizz Posts: 483
    OK I'll play devils advocate. If you watch closely Lewis doesnt stay behind Kimi for very long at all before he retakes the position. Also I think that the letter of the law says that in this situation Lewis should have stayed behind Kimi for one corner after letting him back through again. But Kimi didnt leave Lewis a lot of room and if Lewis hadnt taken to the run off area neither of them would have finished the race. So to be fair should Kimi also get a penalty ?

So whilst he obeyed the rule, he didnt obey the spirit of the rule...

I think its a bit of a farce though, and its irrelevant as Kimi stuffed it into the wall all by himself a few corners later.
  • He gave Kimi back the lead, but went straight back into his slipstream where you have a huge aerodynamic advantage, therefore the actual penalty for going over the chicane was minimal at most then took the lead. Penalty is fair in my eyes.
  • I only managed to hear the final few laps on 5-Live (Bloody WinTV wouldn't get ITV1 [Do they broadcast in digital anyway?]) so I didn't see it live.
    FIA/Ecclestone don't seem to want Hamilton to take the World Title, Eccelstone made it clear last year that this was the case when he was asked by Martin Brundle.
    Whenever Ferrari is involved, they always seem to get the better result.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • If your going to be anal about it, yes, it was breaking the spirit of the rules - but it was good racing, good to watch and what F1 has been lacking for so long.

The penalty also makes no sense when looking at the events after the offence - hamilton spun and raikonnen went through who then binned it into the wall. Hamilton gained no advantage whatsoever from passing raikonnen when he did - the ruling is stupid if they dont take this into account.

The fact that there was a penalty is not my major gripe (although it is ridiculous) its the inconsistency in the enforcement of the rules. Massa should have been starting from 12th for his pitlane infraction at the last race with raikonnen getting at the very least a 10 place grid penalty for trying to kill his fuel man - it WAS kimis fault alone, no one else's, and was extremely dangerous. Hamilton pulling across the run off wasn't dangerous, infact it was the opposite - he was avoiding an avoidable accident - why does he get hit with a big penalty and yet both Ferrari drivers got away with much more dangerous maneuvers at the last race???
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    The extent of the FIA's bias is so blatant it’s incredible. Yesterday's penalty was ridiculous, as bad as Alonso's for supposedly "blocking" Massa at Monza 2006.

All this crap about gaining an advantage or leaving the track etc. Massa and Kubica were barely on the track during their battle on the final lap of Fuji last year and nothing was done about that. As previously mentioned, the unsafe release of Massa at Valencia was just further evidence of the prejudice.

Guess they're towing the party line but I had hoped Kimi or Massa would've come out and said something.
    Kimi is a proper "racer" like Hamilton. As for Massa, well if he goes on to win the title - which I'm sure the Max and FIA will manufacture - his title will be tainted and, in my eyes, worth f**k all. Shame as he seems a decent bloke.

I've only missed one grand prix since 1998 (Canada 2002 - sad I know) but I'll be doing other things next Sunday.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    You missed Massa drive a masterful race and break down 3 laps from the end a couple of races ago? If you're going to award some kind of qualitative assessment of merit please bear that in mind.
  • Was always a Ferrari fan but actually stopped taking an interest in F1 a few years ago now. Its just so boring, so to catch the end of that race and think wow, that was fantastic, then to find out hours later that the FIA didnt agree only served to reinforce my opinion that MotoGP dumps on F1 from a great height.

They over take people on the track, by actually passing them, not by changing tyres quicker than each other.
  • biondino wrote:
    You missed Massa drive a masterful race and break down 3 laps from the end a couple of races ago? If you're going to award some kind of qualitative assessment of merit please bear that in mind.

Or Hamilton's tyres going last year and costing him the championship, or Raikonnens tyres delaminating when he was at McLaren. Infact any breakdown ever. How about YOU bear it in mind, what would you suggest the FIA do? Anytime someone breaks down the race stops until repairs are done???

If Massa's car breaks down 3 laps from the end, its his and Ferrari's problem. Ferrari built the car and Massa drove it, if the ferrari is that highly strung or Massa is just good at lunching engines thats their problem - McLaren used to be quick as hell with no reliability (i imagine a big factor to Raikonnen leaving) - what this has to do with what happened after spa i don't know - care to explain you point, because i sure cant see it

Also, "merit" has nothing to do with it, if the roles had been reversed and Raikonnen was given the penalty for cutting the corner, i would still be irked, as its a stupid call by the FIA. As far as i can see, Ferrari got away with murder in spain - it would have been so easy for raikonnens fuel man to have been seriously hurt, or worst case, a repeat of Verstappen's pitlane fireball -yet no penalty. If the FIA are going to enforce the rulesto the letter, its a 10 place penalty for massa being released early in valencia and at the very least the same for raikonnen with a huge fine for him personally, as it was his fault - the lack of consistency and apparent bias is stupid. Im neither a fezza or a mcmerc fan btw, RBR all the way, so im not biased, i can just see when a mistake has been made.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Was always a Ferrari fan but actually stopped taking an interest in F1 a few years ago now. Its just so boring, so to catch the end of that race and think wow, that was fantastic, then to find out hours later that the FIA didnt agree only served to reinforce my opinion that MotoGP dumps on F1 from a great height.

So true.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    FIA = Ferrari Is Ace ?

Is it cos Lewis is Black ?

(dont think it is to be honest, but the do seem ridiculously biased)
  • Was always a Ferrari fan but actually stopped taking an interest in F1 a few years ago now. Its just so boring, so to catch the end of that race and think wow, that was fantastic, then to find out hours later that the FIA didnt agree only served to reinforce my opinion that MotoGP dumps on F1 from a great height.

They over take people on the track, by actually passing them, not by changing tyres quicker than each other.
    ]]

"a ferrari fan"? how does one demonstrate their 'fan-ness' for a car? - do you point and chant 'ferrari we love' you when it goes past? do yo wear a replica ferrari kit or wave a ferrari scarf? do you chant abuse at other cars?

flummoxed of birkenhead
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    There are loads of Ferrari fans all dressed in team kit at the GPs. Dunno about booing another car - that would seem a bit pointless. Its a bit like the Tifosi you get in the Giro ?

]]

"a ferrari fan"? how does one demonstrate their 'fan-ness' for a car? - do you point and chant 'ferrari we love' you when it goes past? do yo wear a replica ferrari kit or wave a ferrari scarf? do you chant abuse at other cars?

flummoxed of birkenhead

Er no, its not football you know :lol: Im a fan of Vermeer & JMW Turner, should I cheer them and boo others in galleries?

• "a ferrari fan"? how does one demonstrate their 'fan-ness' for a car? - do you point and chant 'ferrari we love' you when it goes past? do yo wear a replica ferrari kit or wave a ferrari scarf? do you chant abuse at other cars?

flummoxed of birkenhead

The exact same way you demonstrate you "fan-ness" for a cycling team/football team/insert any other sporting activity ever here. Not hard to understand really.

I demonstrated my "fan-ness" for Audi by watching a race for 24 hours being deafened by cars and drinking french piss water lager - thats real dedication for you. Will be doing the same this weekend but with proper beer and with proper British weather and only for 6 hours.
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    Parsnip49 wrote:
    I demonstrated my "fan-ness" for Audi by watching a race for 24 hours being deafened by cars and drinking french wee-wee water lager - thats real dedication for you.
    No you didn't - you just demonstrated your fan-ness for being deafened by cars and drinking French wee-wee lager.

LM's hardly a hardship!
  • Bleh, by that argument no one supports a football team, they just support sitting down.

LM isnt a hardship, avoiding getting nicked by the gendarmes for speeding afterwards is.

Plus, the amount of large,red, english folk there makes it feel like magaluf with cars, watching the race isnt a hardship. Resisting the urge to kick Raymond in the face while he is chanting "2 world wars and 1 world cup" at french people is pretty tough.
  • i actively support sitting down.....but cars going around in circles watched by proto-clarksons and other assorted petrol-bores?

NO WAY JOSE!!!!
  • Nuggs
    Parsnip49 wrote:
    LM isnt a hardship, avoiding getting nicked by the gendarmes for speeding afterwards is.
    Oh yes. Try doing it while being followed by the Gendarmes while in a car whose lights (including indicators) are refusing to work. I was praying I didn't come to a T-junction!
  • Nuggs wrote:
    Parsnip49 wrote:
    Oh yes. Try doing it while being followed by the Gendarmes while in a car whose lights (including indicators) are refusing to work. I was praying I didn't come to a T-junction!

you shouldnt have been driving it then-balloonhead
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs wrote:
    Parsnip49 wrote:

you shouldnt have been driving it then-balloonhead
    You're right of course.

I do have a balloon-shaped head. :cry:
  • Ha ha ha! :lol:
  • Sorry for the slight thread hi-jack, but after the LM references above, anyone else going to Silverstone for the LMS this wekeend?

I'm posting this from the circuit!
    Chocolate makes your clothes shrink
  • Sorry for the slight thread hi-jack, but after the LM references above, anyone else going to Silverstone for the LMS this wekeend?

sorry, you talkin jive bro'!

"Will be doing the same this weekend but with proper beer and with proper British weather and only for 6 hours."

Yah, was there. Laughed at the pugs for being far too french and having a distinct inability to be good. Happy to see Mcnish and Capello win, happy for the lola aston too - a proper car burning proper fuel :)

The only thing missing was a TVR car - the old tuscans from a few years ago used to tear the eardrums out of anything for miles around.

Aston taking GT1 and Ferrari taking GT2 - doesnt get much better, great end to the series - looking forward to LM next year, might even need to plan a sneaky sebring trip :)
  • It was a good weekend - the sight of Minassian by the crashed Pug with his head in hands was one not to be forgotten, and the weather held out and there was the biggest LMS crowd ever.

It was our Aston that won GT1, the dang French Corvette got the title, but we were happy have won GT1 three times out of five! The Lola-Aston is a great looking car, we had the garage next door as usual.

Off to Spa in two weeks - thinking of taking the bike for a couple of Saturday evening laps.
    Chocolate makes your clothes shrink
  • Parsnip49 wrote:
    Bleh, by that argument no one supports a football team, they just support sitting down.

Plus, the amount of large,red, english folk there makes it feel like magaluf with cars, watching the race isnt a hardship. Resisting the urge to kick Raymond in the face while he is chanting "2 world wars and 1 world cup" at french people is pretty tough.

Surely the World Cup bit of the chant isn't even relevant to the French? In '66 we won the trophy on home soil, whilst in '98, so did they; one-upmanship not valid there, methinks. :wink:

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    Parsnip49 wrote:
    Bleh, by that argument no one supports a football team, they just support sitting down.

Surely the World Cup bit of the chant isn't even relevant to the French? In '66 we won the trophy on home soil, whilst in '98, so did they; one-upmanship not valid there, methinks. :wink:

David
    You appear to be forgetting that we were on the same side as the French in the world wars... ;)
  • whyamihere wrote:
    Parsnip49 wrote:

David
    You appear to be forgetting that we were on the same side as the French in the world wars... ;)

Oops -forgot about that; in which case the original poster's mate Raymond had got the wrong end of the stick twice over.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • I think my point may have been missed.

I dont know anyone called Raymond, but it seems like an appropriate name for the fat bald red english guys who read the sun that have LM confused with a football hooligan convention.

I also dont imagine they are smart enough to realize that their chant is irrelevant