What to wear??

cbatten565
cbatten565 Posts: 20
edited September 2008 in Road beginners
hi,

ive just come back into road cycling now after about a couple of years out of it, im 17 and just wondering i dont really know what to wear as i slightly get embarassed in front of the other like "pros" on the road if im wearing team kits etc.... any advice will do haha

Chris

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Wear whatever you want.......most roadies I see look like they are still wearing their kit from the 80s, so don't worry about your kit its bound to better than most kit out there.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • okay cheers for that, just trying to get myself back where i should be really on the fitness side of things too!
  • oh and nice bikes by the way!
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Hi, wear want you want, team kits are perfectly permissible. Except US postal and discovery :lol: .

Ideally you'd wear a local club kit. But if you're not a member of a local club than that's obviously not possible.

Some pointers, make sure your helmet doesn't have a peak, wear white socks and try not to mix and match.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    edited September 2008
    I too suggest you wear what you like.

I'm not big on team kit, never liked paying to be a walking advert for someone else, though I'd make an exception for Columbia. I prefer plain jerseys, happy with my bright yellow Adidas Performance s/s jersey, and very taken with the design of the Castelli Prologo. For commuting I wear an old walking t-shirt in coolmax type fabric, when it's cold I switch to a l/s fine merino base layer under a Buffalo windshirt.

These days I'm more concerned with visibility, and I find white, red, orange or yellow would be the best colours to get yourself seen on the road, particularly on the rear of the jersey unless you're carrying a large rucksack. I feel more at risk from drivers overtaking than oncoming or emerging from side roads.

Edit/Addendum: bought a Polaris Leon for my son. Nice, yellow and not expensive. Probably get one for myself presently.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • I think i know what you meen mate, i feel like a bit of an as* with full team kit and then some punk in less pro lookin stuff over-takes but ah well, ya get used to it :oops: 8)
  • cbatten565 wrote:
    hi,

ive just come back into road cycling now after about a couple of years out of it, im 17 and just wondering i dont really know what to wear as i slightly get embarassed in front of the other like "pros" on the road if im wearing team kits etc.... any advice will do haha

Chris

Mankini with bum padding....It has to be in a fluorescent colour to look the best.
    17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!
  • Wear whatever you want.......most roadies I see look like they are still wearing their kit from the 80s, so don't worry about your kit its bound to better than most kit out there.

After that comment redd I insist on seeing what you look like in your kit!!!(you may wear a bag over your head to protect your anonymity... :D
    Spring!
    Singlespeeds in town rule.
  • fuzzynavel wrote:
    cbatten565 wrote:
    hi,

Chris

Mankini with bum padding....It has to be in a fluorescent colour to look the best.

No way.................... I thought I was the only one who wears a mankini on the bike? I find my plums fall out (over the top) when I'm really low on the drops though! :oops:

FYI............ £10 from Iwantoneofthose.com. :lol:
  • yackers1 wrote:
    fuzzynavel wrote:
    cbatten565 wrote:
    hi,

Chris

No way.................... I thought I was the only one who wears a mankini on the bike? I find my plums fall out (over the top) when I'm really low on the drops though! :oops:

FYI............ £10 from Iwantoneofthose.com. :lol:

I had read somewhere that excessive cycling can make men sterile due to heat build up in the plums....this solves the problem....I'm a genius and I don't even know it!!
    17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!
  • Proper cycling kit is best, it doesn't have to be plastered with logos, but proper stuff properly designed will improve the ride.
    The sooner you get used to wearing lycra and showing your twig and berries off :shock: , the sooner you can concentrate on the riding. Anyway, I only ride my Spech team kit when I feel energetic. Its vain, but um,... :oops:
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • jezcc
    jezcc Posts: 111
    I wear-

Lusso Coolite Short Sleeved Jersey (fluoro yellow and black)
    Lusso bib shorts
    small white socks
    Nike mountain bike shoes

I wear baggies when I'm on the MTB.
    FCN 4-6 depending

2008 Rocky Mountain ETSX
    2008 Ribble
  • jezcc
    jezcc Posts: 111
    Lusso stuff is made in manchester, which I like and it's cheap which I also like.
    FCN 4-6 depending

2008 Rocky Mountain ETSX
    2008 Ribble