LCD Tv's

Rich9
Rich9 Posts: 1,635
edited December 2008 in The Crudcatcher
I know knob all about them, still using a standard CRT widescreen as our main TV, still got a great picture. Better than many LCD/Plasmas IMO. However, i'm in the market for a 22"-26" LCD with freeview to go on the wall in the soon to be office/study/gaming room.

Recommendations on where, who and what will be much appreciated
Thanks
Rich
2014 Whyte T-129S

Comments

• Popeh
    Popeh Posts: 115
    Four I'd consider listed below. You'll probably find cheaper prices than I listed, but just to give you an idea on models.

To be honest, as long as it's a good brand ie. not Goodmans or Tesco's own there isn;t really much to go wrong with a screen under 32". You mentioned you're eventually going to use it for a game room - what console? Ensure you have the correct connections you're going to need. Xbox, Wii etc need component which most TV's have, and then HDMI will come from Blu-Ray or the Sony PS3.

Personally i'd also overlook Samsung which a lot of people are taken by lately. Nice looking TV's with appealing prices - poor picture processing and sound. Imagine a basic Halford typical bike painted and stickered to look like a high performing GT. Looks the part, but you'll be dissapointed.

Edit: Almost all LCD's are wall mountable, just ensure they have 4 even squared holes at the back. Brackets vary from flat on the wall to swinging all over the place.

All IMO ofc.
    http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/p ... 26LB75.htm

http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/store/c ... egory_oid=

http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/store/c ... oid=-34804

http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/store/c ... egory_oid=
    - Marin 2005 East Peak
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    I'd agree and disagree about the Samsung's. They do tend to have poor sound, but then I bought my telly to watch not to listen to, the sound goes through a cheap but good Sony surround system.

There are only actually four compaines that make the panels, Samsung are one, Philips/LG are another. So buy anything from from a different brand and you're still getting a Samsung / LG (downgraded) screen anyway.

The Samsung screens are actually in a league of their own generally, when i bought mine the contrast ratio for most Samsung screens was 5000:1, most others at the time were 800:1.

The menu systems on the Samsungs are really good, very easy to use.

Whenever I buy electricals these days I either take a punt and buy the cheapest brand I can find (e.g. Tesco) or go to the other extreme and buy the expensive ones. Many of the mid range items are still unreliable and have poor instructions and operating menus, you are jsut paying for the percieved quality associated with the brand name.

Also worth considering buying form John Lewis, they may not be as cheap as the online suppliers but they do price match high street retailers and crucially they do good free warranties (the same warranty in Comet can cost £150 plus :shock: ). We've had pretty good service off them when things have failed during the warranty period, plus they don't tend to sell the cheap stuff.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Popeh
    Popeh Posts: 115
    stumpyjon wrote:
    I'd agree and disagree about the Samsung's. They do tend to have poor sound, but then I bought my telly to watch not to listen to, the sound goes through a cheap but good Sony surround system.

There are only actually four compaines that make the panels, Samsung are one, Philips/LG are another. So buy anything from from a different brand and you're still getting a Samsung / LG (downgraded) screen anyway.

The Samsung screens are actually in a league of their own generally, when i bought mine the contrast ratio for most Samsung screens was 5000:1, most others at the time were 800:1.

Regardless of where panels are made, it makes absolutely no difference. The only variables on a TV panel is the response of the liquid crystal display and the resolution, everything else is processor driven (contrast, colour, sharpness, clarity, motion etc).. and Samsung's are basic.

Contrast ratio's are irrelevant between different brands as there is no regulation in place to force different brands to measure their contrasts in the same way using the same calculation.

Samsung could quote one of their TV's as 50,000:1 and Toshiba could do their own measurements and declare it 1000:1. The only worthyness of contrast ratio's when deciding on a TV is within the same brand across their own range on that same year.

Think of a TV like a laptop. Would you spend £250 on a laptop for online gaming? You could, but you'd be very unhappy with the result - judder, slowness, bad graphics assuming it displayed them at all.
    TV engines work the same way, on most you pay for what you get. The cheapest TV might look nice switched off but stick a console on there or watch a footie match and behold judder and blur severety with bad colour bleed.

Fully agree with John Lewis, not the cheapest but the service is what most retail stores have lost and can't go wrong with a free 5 year warrenty.
    - Marin 2005 East Peak
  • Rich9
    mmm. lots to think about. thanks for you input

On the gaming front - we curently have a PS2 and probably wont upgrade for some time tbh. My son only plays Pro Ev or lego star wars anyway.

i hadnt thought about the judder thing, so i may need to convince the missus that we need to spent a bit more an get something decent. I like the look of the 19" Toshiba. Right price, but wonder if its a bit on the small side.
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    where the screen is made does have effects, as does the company who makes the TV's the quality requirements are higher for some TV makers than for others.

http://whathifi.com/Reviews/Televisions ... s-Reviews/
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    I've got a Samsung 23" LCD in the bedroom and a Panasonic 42" plasma in the living room. Both have great pictures but the plasma wins hands down. The LCD can't be viewed at the same angles of the plasma. When playing the Xbox on the LCD you detect a faint motion blur and the contrast isn't as good as the plasma.

Stumpyjon is nearly right about the sound. I wouldn't call it poor but it's not up to the standard of the Panasonic but better than Philips. I haven't touched Sony stuff in years due to past quality issues so can't really comment.

Empire Direct maybe cheap and so is the customer service very much below par with Dixons and Currys
  • Rich9
    thought about going to an independant (euronics) type shop. Wondered if i might get better advice from them. Cant say i really have a lot of time for some of the numpties that work in the high street retailers, and do wonder about the advice they give. may be i'm being harsh
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • You could always try posting on avforums.com
    Returning to MTB'ing after 13 year break: Merida Matts Sub 60d

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll59 ... G_1243.jpg
  • nicklouse
    Rich9
    the horror stories you hear about some of the big stores not knowing anything. i would defiantly pop into somewhere like Frank Platt's as they were the place years ago and they are still about i see.

http://www.frankplatt.com/
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Rich9
    Come to think of it there's a Frank Platts in Holmfirth, about 15mins from home. Might call in. Also I bought my PVR from Crampton and Moore in Sheffield, and they were top notch.
    Also good idea about AV forums. thanks
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • nicklouse
    and platts have a new TV demo room.... bought most of my old HiFi stuff from them 20 odd years ago.

Sounds like you are on my old drinking patch :wink:
  • Rich9
    I live in Clayton West, but not from round here :roll:
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    Do you have a Costco card because they compete with the highstreet, 3 year warranty as standard, good returns but again not like service you get from a small retailer
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Again another reason to at least consider John Lewis, the staff are all adults, usually have had some product training from the products manufacturer (I've seen this happening in store) and aren't afraid to say they don't know rather than spout b*llshit.

No I don't work for them, just had very good before and aftersales service from them on several occaisions, avoid the big high street electrical retaillers they are worse than useless. Local independants are a good bet but like LBS you still get the full spectrum of value, price and service.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Rich9
    Just ahd a look at JL's website. Looks like a definite possibility. Thanks for the recommendations
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • before spending £££ on a tv, use this site to search for the model your after and see if you can get a cheaper web price. found my tv £100 cheaper using this than anywhere else!!

http://www.buydigital.me.uk/
  • Rich9
    ended up buying an LG 22" from Richer Sounds in Manchester for £229, then spent another £130 getting a digital aerial and cable run into the room!

picture quality is pretty decent, but sound quality is a bit iffy. tempted to get a cheap 2.1 system to plug into it
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • Hi, just found this Bike site, very interesting.

Re TVs, I remember Frank Platts when I used to work for Tandberg UK. Platts were one of the best TV/radio and HiFI dealers in the country. Knowledgeable and commited to providing the service. They are still around so that says something too.

However, http://www.royjowetthomecinema.co.uk/ also provide excelent deals and after sales service. Watch for their 5 year warranties..

P
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    I quite fancy a Sony Bravia or Panasonic Viera. Both have clear 1080 settings (more so than other brands supposedly). Seen my mates 42" Bravia and he showed me the difference between 1080 - 720 - 480. The differences were huge!
  • The Panasonic Viera 32" is what were interested in, and will probably pop over to Jowets in Colne to pick one up at £699 or less along with a 5 year waranty.

P
  • I got a samsung 26" one for my room from currys about 2.5 years ago. It cost a lot but the quality has been good and although the sound is poor normally, the headphones are very good soundwise and I link it up through my old sony stereo aux port with wharfedale speakers, also using it to link my pc up through hdmi cable to show tv shows/recorded music videos from concerts on screen.
    Start Weight 18st 13lbs March 2009
    17st 10lbs August 2009
    17st 4lbs October 2009
    15st 12lbs December 2010

Final planned weight 12st 7lbs