Routes around Leeds

shockedsoshocked
shockedsoshocked Posts: 4,021
My friend lives not too far away from Otley (apparently) so i've got a week off work and intend to spend a few days cycling down there.

Since I missed the White Rose Classic this year, I was intending to do all the big hills on different days (Blubberhouses, Fleet Moss etc).

Could anyone perhaps plan out 3 or so rides of about 60 miles (ish) that would manage to take in all the big climbs.
"A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015

Comments

• sward29
    sward29 Posts: 205
    Have you been on the website? They have all the routes on there.

Address is www.whiteroseclassic.co.uk
  • Ahh, I never thought of that. I'll try planning a couple of routes. Might have to get them double checked so I haven't planned to go straight down a dual carriageway or something :wink:

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • When are you planning to stay in Otley?
    Do you have tracklogs software by any chance SSS?
    Otley is my neck of the woods and I have quite a few routes of 60 miles or more for you.
    I could send you a few tracklogs routes or I could give you a brief description of the villages to go through.
    Crediamo in te, bici!
    My Bikes.
  • I don't have tracklogs, but it seems they do a free trial. I'll give it a shot.

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Steve GT
    Steve GT Posts: 383
    edited September 2007
    2 routes... more to follow.

Suggested route 1 - Kettlewell and Park Rash.
    In my estimation the hardest climb in the area, well worth trying.
    Route directions:

Otley, Askwith, Ilkley, Nesfield, Beamsley. Down the A59 (quite busy, be carefull) to the roundabout and right onto the B6160 and on past Bolton Abbey, The Strid and Barden Tower. Just after the tower turn right and head for Appletreewick. Through Appletreewick and take the 1st lane right to to Hebden. Taking the lane left after 250 yards will take you directly to Hebden or you can carry straight on until the B6265 if you want a bit of a climb. Whichever way you take turn left to Grassington. On the sharp left bend in Grassington (just after the main car park) take the 2nd right - signposted Conistone. Through Conistone to Kettlewell. In Kettlewell look for signs Carlton and follow the Carlton Road until you have reached the top of the climb. Turn back and reverse the route to get back to Otley.

Suggested route 2. Malham Tarn.
    2 tough climbs to do on this route namely the Malham Tarn climb and the hill on the way to Arnecliffe.

Route directions:

Otley, Askwith, Ilkley, Nesfield, Beamsley. Down the A59 (quite busy, be carefull) to the roundabout and right onto the B6160 and on past Bolton Abbey, The Strid and Barden Tower. Carry on into Burnsall and on towards Thresfield. Turn 2nd left lane towards Thorpe, and then the 1st right to Cracoe. Join the B6265 and head south. Take the lane to Hetton. Just after the pub in Hetton there is a lane to the right (could be signposted Winterburn) and go through Winterburn. Take the right turn over a little bridge to Calton and Airton. I would then recommend the cafe / farm shop just outside Airton. At least you wont have cafe legs when climbing the tarn if you had decided to stop in malham. Follow the road to Kirkby Malham and on to Malham. Carry on with the road and climb the tarn.
    Cross over the intersection and go right at the t Junction, should be signposted Arncliffe. Follow the road towards Kilnsey and turn right back on to the B6265 through Kilnsey and on towards Thresfield At Thresfield take the road left towards Grassington and then immediately right towards Burnsall. Follow this road (B6160) all the way back through Burnsall and Bolton Abbey until the A59 roundabout. Left back towards Beamsley and back along that lane to Otley.
    Crediamo in te, bici!
    My Bikes.
  • paulgw
    paulgw Posts: 135
    The short route of the WRC is about 50 miles. It takes in the first few hills and Langbar.
    You could do a shorter route up the valley via langbar (ie the opposite direction to the WRC) and back via cow and calf. Only about 20 miles but a couple of decent hills.
  • Cheers for those routes so far. Looking forward to having a run round em. Might try the short WRC route aswell.

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • ASC1951
    ASC1951 Posts: 992
    Let us know when you get Traclogs and we can email you some more routes.

I have a very hilly 45 miler for when I haven't got all day, from north Leeds up and down Arthington Bank, Old Pool Bank, Leathley, Farnley, Ilkley, Brunthwaite, Spring Crag, East Morton, Dick Hudsons, Menston, along the top of the Chevin, home. Some obscure climbs within easy reach of home - Spring Crag is short but a real bar-hauler.
  • Got tracklogs but it seems it won't run. Keep getting a runtime error :cry:

I think i'll just try with googlemaps. If i take Steves routes, just means I have to try and work a route or two that takes in Fleet Moss and Blubberhouses, and perhaps a route with langbar too.

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • SSS,
    I will post 2 other routes tonight or monday.
    Although if you want to do Fleet Moss from Otley it would more like a 80 to 100 mile route.
    I will post a route that starts in Grassington and does Coal road and Fleet Moss - and still be within the 60 mile range.
    The other route is one of my favourites with takes you to Masham with 5 or 6 really tough climbs.
    Crediamo in te, bici!
    My Bikes.
  • Hi steve, i was just wondering what distant those first 2 routes cover? I'm trying to order the rides so they go from longest to shortest.

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Th 1st one would be around 65 miles and the 2nd 68 miles.
    Whereabouts will you be staying?
    Crediamo in te, bici!
    My Bikes.
  • fraz167
    fraz167 Posts: 142
    Steve/ShockedSoShocked,

I would be up for doing the WRC 80km route if either of you fancy it?? Just back from a bikeless holiday so keen to get some miles in.

Cheers

Fraser
  • Route 3.
    I think the following route is a real cracker, with a lot of tough climbing. Total distance from the middle of Otley would be 64 miles.
    Otley, Blubberhouses. There are 3 ways to get there from Otley:
    1. Straight along the road on the Otley / Blubberhouses road. That will start your ride with a tough climb past the new hospital.
    2. After crossing the river turn right onto the B6451 to Farnley, up Norwood Edge and on to Bland Hill. Turn left down towards Swinsty and Fewston reseviours. Over the dam wall towards Timble and rejoin the Otley / Blubberhouses road by turning right. Nice scenic route past the 3 reseviours and you also do the hard Norwood Edge climb as well.
    3. The easiest way is to go via Askwith and the in the middle of Askwith turn right onto the lane that will then join the Otley / Blubberhouses road by turning left.

At the A59 turn right and after 100 yards turn left up the hill and on towards the Stone Houses pub (the 1st pub you see on your right. At the pub turn right towards Padside and take the 1st left and follow the road all the way to Pateley Bridge, going down a steep decent at Yorke's folly and through Bewerley. Right at T Junction and go into Pateley Bridge. As the high street bears sharply to the right, carry on straight up Old Church Lane (very tough climb!) and on towards Kirkby Malzeard. Then go through Grewelthorpe and on to Masham. Good cafes in the town square, then head for Fearby, Healey and Leighton reseviour.
    Past the reseviour towards Lofthouse. Be carefull - a really steep decent into Lofthouse! From Lofthouse back towards Bewerley. Bewerley to Padside and turn right back towards the Stone Houses Pub. Turn left at the pub towards Blubberhouses until Menwith Hill road. Left on the Menwith Hill road until you get to the B6451. Turn right onto the B6451 and follow back into Otley going past the gaint golf balls and down Norwood Edge.

Route 4.

Although this route does not start from Otley I think it's a great ride that takes in 2 of the toughest climbs in the dales and maybe the tougest, Fleet Moss from the Hawes side.(in an earlier post I said that Park Rash was tougher, but they are really equally tough!). If you dont have a car, there are buses from Otley (I think) that will let you take a bike. If you are planning to be in Otley on a sunday then I could do the ride with you and give you and the bike a lift to Grassington. Total distance would be about 70 miles.

Grassington, Conistone, Kilnsey, Arncliffe, Halton Gill, Stainforth, Horton in Ribblesdale, Ribblehead. At the T junction turn right towards Hawes and take the 1st lane left towards Dent Station and Cowgill. Bear right up past Dent Station and up the mega tough Coal road to Garsdale Station. Turn right onto the A684 and follow to Hawes.
    In Hawes turn right to Gayle and past the cheese factory. Start the fleet Moss climb!!
    Follow the road to Buckden and bear right onto the B6160 to Kettlewell. In Kettlewell, just after the little bridge turn left then after 300 yards bear right towards Conistone and follow back to Grassington.
    Crediamo in te, bici!
    My Bikes.
  • ASC1951 wrote:
    I have a very hilly 45 miler for when I haven't got all day, from north Leeds up and down Arthington Bank, Old Pool Bank, Leathley, Farnley, Ilkley, Brunthwaite, Spring Crag, East Morton, Dick Hudsons, Menston, along the top of the Chevin, home. Some obscure climbs within easy reach of home - Spring Crag is short but a real bar-hauler.

Which is Arthington Bank.?

I think the climb up Black Moor Hill from the Arthington Road is about as steep as it gets. 2 chevrons on the OS (GR 269439)
    I do llke the ride up Leeds Rd from Otley, a good surface and you can keep a good temp going.
    I live in Alwoodley myself and the route above sounds interesting
    ============================================

FCN is minimal as I don't see many bikes on the way to work