free weights

Alain Quay
Alain Quay Posts: 534
edited September 2008 in Training, fitness and health
Received a pair of 16 lb weights, but don't know how much and often I should be
using them to complement cycling fitness. Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    squats, deadlifts and lunges.
  • Have a look for a book by Ron Laura and Ken Dutton. "Weight training for sports - based on the revolutionary Matrix Principle"

http://www.dr-ronlaura.com/product_info ... cts_id=354

The Matrix Principle itself gets a bit too scientific, the abovementioned focuses on the relevent exercises - for different activities. Good book
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    One change I made this year to last was to include a weekly weights workout right through the year. I've been very happy with results, finding that it complements on bike training well.

FWIW here is my workout routine.
    http://mr-miff-on-tour.blogspot.com/2008/06/strength-training.html

It includes some barbell exercises. A useful tip for these is to do them standing on a Pilates cushion e.g.
    http://www.pilates-plus.co.uk/product.asp?numPageStartPosition=1&P_ID=267&strPageHistory=cat&strKeywords=&strSearchCriteria=&PT_ID=79

this helps build general core stability alongside the specific muscles being worked.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,892
    Isn't 7kg a bit light to make any difference? One of the trainers in the gym I use suggested I try with those to start with and it was a bit easy.
  • Infamous
    phreak wrote:
    Isn't 7kg a bit light to make any difference?

Yep.
  • Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    Infamous wrote:
    phreak wrote:
    Isn't 7kg a bit light to make any difference?

Yep.
    That's not true and too much of a generalisation as it depends it entirely depends on your objectives and what you are trying to achieve.

Light resistance work has it's place just as lifting heavier weights does.
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.
  • Infamous
    It was a generalisation. However, low weight high reps doesn't have it's place in cycling IMHO. Might as well just ride your bike up a steep hill, or do intervals etc. It's the same, but better because it's bike specific and has aerobic work involved.
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    if you want to improve your cycling ? Forget the weights and ride your bike to improve your cardiovascular system
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    sub55 wrote:
    if you want to improve your cycling ? Forget the weights and ride your bike to improve your cardiovascular system

Thats one opinion but different strokes work for different folks. As with many aspects of training its worth trying out some things to see if they work for you.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • Light resistance work only has a place in terms of rehab. Resistance work only exists for the purpose of getting stronger and/or increasing your muscle mass, light resistance achieves neither of those two things.
  • I only ever used weights for improving strength, rather than to compliment general fitness.

If you want to compliment your fitness then try a bit of circuit training, 15mins of pure body numbing lung busting hell.