Handle bars

mattster12
mattster12 Posts: 16
edited September 2008 in Road beginners
if i lift my front wheel off the floor with the top tube, how freely should the bars turn?
At the moment they don't move as easy as my mtb. This is my first road bike though so are they supose to be like this?.

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    The headset could be overtightened or mucky or worn (does it make any noise) or the gear cables are offering some resistance. It should move freely from side to side but with no play vertically.
  • The bike is a Focus Variado from wiggle and it came built with a check list to say that everything had been fully checked (torque etc) so i would have thought they would have done this right. Maybe its the cables like you say.
    I installed the handle bars so the bottom is parellel to the ground, but i supose if i tilt them a little so the hoods are nearer to me this will loosen the cables a little. Is this right?
  • alfablue
    If you installed the bars did you overtighten the headset? Anyway, its easy enough to adjust the headset again, the main thing is to have the stem loose while you adjust it, once done, then tighten the stem around the steerer tube. I would adjust the headset first before assuming it is cables or a mucky/worn headset.

See the Park Tools guide to threadless headset adjustment
  • I didn't touch the headset or stem at all as it was already installed. All i did was attach the bars into the end of the stem. I wouldn't have thought the headset was worn or dirty cause it is brand new.
    i don't really want to start loosening headset cause knowing my luck it will come off in my hands when i am going down hill at 40.
  • alfablue
    mattster12 wrote:
    I didn't touch the headset or stem at all as it was already installed. All i did was attach the bars into the end of the stem.
    ah, fair enough
    I wouldn't have thought the headset was worn or dirty cause it is brand new.
    i don't really want to start loosening headset cause knowing my luck it will come off in my hands when i am going down hill at 40.
    I think you should take it to the local bike shop for them to have a look.