Is there a Spanish resort that is NOT Blackpool 2?

RockyHopperShow
RockyHopperShow Posts: 271
edited September 2008 in Campaign
Hi, I need a holiday (don't we all?) but all Spanish resorts seem to have been taken over by the Brits. But I don't want to go to a "Blackpool with Sun" - type resort where it's all cheap booze and drunken thugs. I can stay in Brighton for that! Any ideas? I know I could go to another country but I speak the language quite well and love the people.
Start Weight: 128 kilos (20.2 st) (April 17th 2009)
Current Weight:119 kilos (18.7 st) (June 18th 2009)
Target Weight: 92 kilos (14.5 st) (sometime mid-2010, hopefully sooner)

Comments

• Ambermile
    Ambermile Posts: 117
    Move your sights inland a bit?

Arthur
    The Beastie

Sic itur ad astra
  • Zendog1
    Zendog1 Posts: 816
    Try Moraira - it's about 30 miles south of Benidorm on the coast but completely different. There are no high rise hotels (some kind of local ordinace against building over four stories I think). We had two weeks in a villa there earlier in the year - great holiday and there was this big yellow thing in the sky that made it hot. It did get a bit noisy when Spain won the World Cup but that was probably a one off :D
  • synchronicity
    synchronicity Posts: 1,415
    Why not come to the North of Tenerife? :D

Puerto de la Cruz is an upper-class resort that caters for Europeans (Germans, Scandinavians & Beneluxians mainly). 98% of brits stay in the South of Tenerife, which is their loss.

Lago Martianez in foreground... only costs about 2 or 3 quid to get in.

puerto-de-la-cruz.jpg

Here is the main beach, playa Jardin (honesty compells me to admit that there are normally more people present on the beach than that)

playajardin04.jpg

If you're not keen on that, there are also plenty of other rural places to stay.

Besides, there are some truly excellent climbs here. Roads go up to 2300m! :shock: Also, if you're into dowhill, it can be arranged. :twisted:
    Have a look at my website for waaaay more pics.
    www.Tenerife-Training.net
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    The North coast of Galicia is stunning and less visited. This is probably because it has the highest rainfall in Spain (proving the famous song to be wholly inaccurate), but if you are prepared to take your chance on that, it is a great place to go.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Santander, a boat ride from Plymouth. There is a bit of nightlife but didn't see that many Brits out there, those that I did see were sailors who had crossed the Bay of Biscay. When we sailed the Bay of Biscay it was millpond smooth, in fact the channel was rougher which lead to some revisiting their last meal.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Thanks everyone, some food for thought there although I'd like to stay on the mainland, so I shall check out Moraira. Santander might make a nice winter break too.
    Thanks again.
    Start Weight: 128 kilos (20.2 st) (April 17th 2009)
    Current Weight:119 kilos (18.7 st) (June 18th 2009)
    Target Weight: 92 kilos (14.5 st) (sometime mid-2010, hopefully sooner)
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Try Blackpool- the original and best. Failing that Bilbou.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Cadiz. Get a cheap flight to Jerez and then a train. Can visit Sevilla while you are there.

Que lo passar bien.
    Be nice to grumpy old men (or else!)
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    Nerja near Malaga. Relatively unspollt (well the western end of the town anyway) and even where it has been built up it's relatively tasteful with small apartments rather than the usual high rise. It's near enough to places such as Granada and Malaga to give you interesting places to visit and some of the villages in the surrounding mountains are very pretty and unspoilt.

Bob
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    a few miles north of moraira is javea (Xabia).Very nice town in three parts: old town inland, puerto, and arenal( beach and prom. )on a bike you can zip around whichever you like. Good cycling around, clubs to contact through javeabik which is a real bikeshop.Hire available cheap or good bikes.

Vivero on galicia coast I know to be a fine place only recently getting tourists, mostly spanish. Excellent Oz surfing coach on the beach a couple of miles north during the summer, boards etc to hire on the beach.Train connects with the airport half way to Santander. Great cycling in the hills around.

or Girona airport gets you into Armstrong and Millar country around the bay of roses. Anywhere round there is nice, except maybe lloret and tossa( but I haven't been to them).
    If you want more details please ask
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    sorry, Viveiro
    They put an i in it
    http://www.esteirosurfescola.com/prices.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8Rd-ApF ... re=related
    I think this could be a tough version of the off road from moraira to granadella just south of javea

Xabia's bike centre Ed the owner, you phone for info
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • wildmoustache
    wildmoustache Posts: 4,010
    san sebastian ... nice cakes ... phenemonal surf ... perfect sandy beaches. only downside is the usual issue that it is a town and therefore hotel room is limited.
  • Nerja well recommended , plenty of decent food, very few if any 'louts' good places to eat ,El Gury near Riu Monica hotel, Jamaica bar for menu del dia, too many to list if really ninterested will give more info...visit the caves in between Nerja and Maro...must visit Frigiliana ..Malaga a quick-ish cheap bus ride, plenty of old Colnago's, Alans etc on the road especially at the weekend.

Just came back last Saturday already planning next visit.
    being a reformed stuntdrinker allows pontification
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    san sebastian ... nice cakes ... phenemonal surf ... perfect sandy beaches. only downside is the usual issue that it is a town and therefore hotel room is limited.

San Sebastian a town?

LOL, it is a city mate :)
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra