Glad this one isn't out on the roads yet?

Gambatte
Gambatte Posts: 1,453
edited September 2008 in Commuting chat
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/engl ... 605026.stm

"It wasn't as though I'd deluged this pedestrian. And if I'd swerved to avoid the puddle I might have caused an accident."

Yes dear... thats why you drive to the conditions. Drive so you can see whats infront and stop within the distance if needs be.

Think her instructor needs to have a serious word? :roll:

Comments

• snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    I saw it in the paper this morning...

Did she have to drentch said pedestrian?? NO
    Did she have to drive fast though the puddle?? NO
    Does she have to swerve? NO

No one really wants to take public transport, but soaking them is hardly fair now is it?? :twisted: Maybe while she's waiting for the bus someone will do the same to her

Thought the bit about exchanging details was daft...but obviously not as daft as her :D
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • ban the self centered moo for life.

what if we had been cycling round the puddle?

Glad she failed.

Hope the guy she wet claims for a new suit, bag, shoes, shirt etc.... oh, and the fur coat he was wearing :wink:
  • She is an example of people who seem to see driving as a right, not as the privilege it so obviously is.
    I hope she now gets ridiculed in the press and media, as she so obviously should.
    If you see the candle as flame, the meal is already cooked.
    Photography, Google Earth, Route 30
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    IIRC if you splash somebody when driving through a puddle you can be done for assault.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • snooks wrote:
    I saw it in the paper this morning...

Did she have to drentch said pedestrian?? NO
    Did she have to drive fast though the puddle?? NO
    Does she have to swerve? NO

No one really wants to take public transport, but soaking them is hardly fair now is it?? :twisted: Maybe while she's waiting for the bus someone will do the same to her

Thought the bit about exchanging details was daft...but obviously not as daft as her :D

My thoughts exactly. Driving through the puddle slowly would have caused minimal splash or (depending in the road) she might have been able to stop/drive round it depending on traffic coming the opposite way!

Do unto other's as you'd have them do to you! If I was the instructor I'd have chucked a bucket of water over her after the test and see how she likes going home on public transport soaking wet - it's not like she could drive home from the test centre :D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    redvee wrote:
    IIRC if you splash somebody when driving through a puddle you can be done for assault.

I don't believe so. It is classed as Inconsiderate Driving with a max fine of £2,500 + possible community service and points on license.
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • dafruk
    dafruk Posts: 125
    cjw wrote:
    redvee wrote:

I don't believe so. It is classed as Inconsiderate Driving with a max fine of £2,500 + possible community service and points on license.
    I'm sure I read that somewhere...
    FCN 7- Tourer, panniers, Lycra and clipless

What is this game you speak of? Of course I'm not playing...
  • I actually thought it was ridiculous that she would fail a test for this. Massive overreaction from the examiner, I thought.

*ducks*
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    Yeah as much as I like driver bashing I think this is a bit OTT really.

When I am pedestriansing about I gernerally consider it my job to keep an eye out for road puddles that may cause drivers to splash me and walk away from the dge of pavement to avoid the risk.
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I'm fine with her failing for this. The instructor has a very clear set of guidelines and, assuming that she could have made some alternative road manoeuvre (i.e. she wasn't making the only possible safe move despite having driven perfectly up to this point) then he was perfectly correct to fail her.

In any case, he was proved right afterwards by her bad attitude :)
  • I've known someone get fined for doing just that - drove through a puddle and soaked a woman walking past. It was witnessed and he got a visit at home that night. Arrested, chraged and convicted.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Utterly insane! Fined for driving through a puddle?

I can't believe that. Let the police do something useful for a change.

And BD - if the drove perfectly up to that point, he gave her a major fault for driving through a puddle. A puddle. If the ped hadn't been there it would have been no problem whatsoever. If he'd given her a minor fault that would be more excusable.

I agree with litts, if I'm out and about on foot I take it upon myself to avoid big puddles on the road.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    If that old lady hadn't been there I'd have been fine swinging my baseball bat!
  • Utterly insane! Fined for driving through a puddle?

I can't believe that. Let the police do something useful for a change.

Have you never been splashed with cold, smelly flithy, oily, road water that stains your clothes and may contain dog sshh and lord knows what else???

All for the sake of some common decency and respect for others.

Drivers are so out of touch in their tin cans that this is the only right action to take, makes them sit up and take notice.

P
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    Utterly insane! Fined for driving through a puddle?

I can't believe that. Let the police do something useful for a change. .

They dont proscecute because they have nothing better to do, its down to the risks to your health. If you have to walk some considerable distance (as I sometimes do here - First have screwed southampton over with the busses) you are at risk of hypothermia and even sewage-based germs (lets not forget where this water is sitting half the time - on blocked drains)

As I said a while ago I think - I thought i was going to get into a fight last tuesday after two vans soaked me within a second of each other. They both got stuck at the red light a few metres down the road, so after I'd shouted i ran to confront them with their behaviour.

It is selfish of any driver to do this - I'd like to see them forced to walk to work as a punishment. :x