How daft am I then?

NorwegianBlue
NorwegianBlue Posts: 484
edited September 2008 in Commuting chat
So I decided to do some commuting on my road bike. I checked out the clearances for guards and there was acres of room. I ordered a set of guards and a set of more commute friendly tyres. The tyres arrived and I fitted them, then on saturday the guards came. Late last night I rolled the bike out, whipped out the rear wheel and bolted on the guard. Then I refitted the wheel only to find the tyre fouling the guard. The only way I could get the tyre to clear was with the guard so far up that it fouled the brake.

I stood staring at the bike for five minues before it clicked. The original tyres were 23mm and the new tyres are 28mm. D'oh!

So I either go back to 23mm tyres and retain guards. Keep the 28mm tyres and fork out for raceblades. Or try commuting in the lovely British autumn without guards.
"Swearing, it turns out, is big and clever" - Jarvis Cocker

Comments

• I think the only solution is to buy a new bike.
    Cannondale F500
    Peugeot Fixed Gear
    Specialized Hardrock
    Baordman Team Carbon
    Haro Freestyler Sport 1984
    Coming Soon...Canyon Nerve AM 7.0
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    Raceblades are the way forward, they clip on in seconds and you can remove them anytime you want.

Why bother bolting stuff on?
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...if you are riding on your own Raceblades are fine, but in a group you will spray the rider behind you...
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    Littigator wrote:

SKS Chromoplastic guards are the only option when it comes to mudguards. Raceguards are a waste of time IMO, flimsy, poor fitting and don't offer brilliant protection, yes they're better than nothing but compared to full guards there is no competition.

For what it's worth I commute year round on 23mm tyres with no problems at all.
  • Mog Uk wrote:

What tyres do you use? I'd need something that's cheapish and includes reasonable puncture protection. People do have a habbit of recommending tyres that cost more than my bike.
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    Michelin Krylion Carbons

Not the easiest of tyres to get at the moment, although Decathlon are currently selling them at 2 for £30
  • Mog Uk wrote:
    Littigator wrote:

SKS Chromoplastic guards are the only option when it comes to mudguards. Raceguards are a waste of time IMO, flimsy, poor fitting and don't offer brilliant protection, yes they're better than nothing but compared to full guards there is no competition.

yeah -I've just got a set of race blades and they aren't great. I might get a full set of chromos myself now. :cry:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Mog Uk wrote:
    Michelin Krylion Carbons

Not the easiest of tyres to get at the moment, although Decathlon are currently selling them at 2 for £30

+1 for MKCs. Is the shortage down to Michelin making the Pro3s or something? I couldn't find any, so have been riding on Gator Skins for most of this year.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • doog442
    doog442 Posts: 370
    Ive just made a similar mistake. Ive got a tricross with 32mm tyres and ordered SKS P35 mudguards. Well the P35's only take up to 28mm.......so now have an excuse to buy some skinny tyres for the road...

(and the wife fell for it :wink: )

cant decide on 25 or 28's -
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    Littigator wrote:
    Raceblades are the way forward, they clip on in seconds and you can remove them anytime you want.

I tried raceblades...the front I ended up strapping on with cables ties to stop it from moving, and they were not very effective in stopping spray coming off the front wheel from going forward then blowing back.

The rear one was the reverse, allowing spray to the back of the legs, and in the end snapped off short anyway as the stays allow too much bounce in the tail for our local roads.

I'd suggest getting prooper SKS guards if you bike can fix them, or as the man said a new bike! Maybe an Audax bike would be more suited, it would come I would expect with guards and with fixing points for them if not, something like the Dawes Audax is quite nice to ride.
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • doog442 wrote:
    Ive just made a similar mistake. Ive got a tricross with 32mm tyres and ordered SKS P35 mudguards. Well the P35's only take up to 28mm.......so now have an excuse to buy some skinny tyres for the road...

(and the wife fell for it :wink: )

cant decide on 25 or 28's -

Well I've got a pair of new Michelin Dynamics in a 28mm going spare...