Computers!?!?

heavymtb
heavymtb Posts: 62
edited September 2008 in Commuting chat
Right, having got heavily into the saddle this weekend I am fed up of trying to work out the distance and time taken to get anywhere (especially as I do it at work and my boss can't understand why I spend so much time on Google Maps! :wink: )

Can anyone reccomend and decent computer for around the £40 mark, all I need is trip distanmce, trip time and average/top speed. I would like it to be wireless and easily detchable as I don't want it getting pinched :cry:

Any suggestions?
The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in heart ~Iris Murdoch

Mama always said I was SPECIALIZED ;-)

Comments

• I have a cateye enduro 8, simple and effective and well under your £40! Should be around £20... so I have 2!

The only thing I find it lacks is cadence, if that's something you'd like then clearly this ain't for you!
  • heavymtb
    The only thing I find it lacks is cadence, if that's something you'd like then clearly this ain't for you!

Excuse my ignorance, 'cadence'?

I was just looking at the cat eye on wiggle, http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Catey ... 360029332/

Great reviews I think this will be the winner.

Are they 'Fork-Friendly'?!?! I couldn't bear it it I managed to scratch up my lovely carbon!!! :cry:

Why do you need 2?!?! one for the front and one for the back!?!? :lol:
    The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in heart ~Iris Murdoch

• Cadence is how fast you're pushing the pedals round - your pedal strokes per minute, if you will.

The only thing with wireless is, well, it's wireless! Wires are more, well, reliable. Better battery life too.

I don't trust this newfangled technology... :D
  • Hi HMTB.

Cadence is the number of times your legs turn in a minute. Useful to know for optimising performance. For distance measurement I got the Cateye Strada. Really pleased with it but it too doesn't do cadence but then I'm just a commuter. Easy to set up too.
    R25

Ridgeback R25 - 1% bike
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    I have the Cateye Strada Cadence (wired version). It's pretty good, gets the job done. Get the cadence version if you care or normal to save a few £. I used to have the Cateye Strada Wireless which was alright but did occasionally suffer from interference causing weird speeds to show up.
    Are they 'Fork-Friendly'?!?! I couldn't bear it it I managed to scratch up my lovely carbon!!!
    The Cateye sensors attach to the fork with a rubber bracket and cable ties so you shouldn't have to worry about damage.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • heavymtb
    So the general consensus is Cateye Strada (wired) if I want my cadence and wireless if I want to be well... wireless.

Still don't understand why l_i_t needs two? Greedy I guess!!! :lol:
    ..................................................................................................................

• biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    pst88 wrote:
    I have the Cateye Strada Cadence (wired version). It's pretty good, gets the job done. Get the cadence version if you care or normal to save a few £. I used to have the Cateye Strada Wireless which was alright but did occasionally suffer from interference causing weird speeds to show up.
    Are they 'Fork-Friendly'?!?! I couldn't bear it it I managed to scratch up my lovely carbon!!!
    The Cateye sensors attach to the fork with a rubber bracket and cable ties so you shouldn't have to worry about damage.

I have this one too. It may well have been the single most annoying thing I've ever done to attach it to the bike, but it works fine and is small and pretty. Wireless would be neater I guess but as LiT says, the battery life is worse and you can get interference from other electronic equipment. And it's dearer.

Personally, I have two computers because I have two bikes (the other one is a Sigma wired which I am very happy with also).
  • girv73
    girv73 Posts: 842
    I've a CatEye Velo 5, which does the trick for my commuter machine and was cheap.

It doesn't do average speed, which is a bit annoying for me.
    Today is a good day to ride
  • I have a Cateye wireless. I don't know the exact model but it is quite basic and wasn't as expensive as £40. I replaced the wired version which gave up after having been exposed to too much rain, the computer stopped working in the rain. I don't know if this is a common problem with wired computers but my wireless has worked 100% even in heavy rain.

Hope this helps.
    FCN 8

2009 Boardman Hybrid Pro
  • girv73
    girv73 Posts: 842
    In maybe 15 years of cycling, I've never had a CatEye computer give up on me because of rain or mud. Trees, on the other hand...
    Today is a good day to ride
  • heavymtb wrote:
    Still don't understand why l_i_t needs two? Greedy I guess!!! :lol:

2 bikes in 2 separate counties, one in London and one in essex... innit :)
  • heavymtb
    check L_i_T and respect L_i_T!!!

Thanks for the info y'all!

Strada (wireless) order placed! I'll let you know my thoughts :D

• Grrrr!

Finally got my new Cat Eye Strada (wireless) over the weekend and the damn thing doesn't work......

Has any one else had problems with this model. The computer it'self does everything it is supposed to apart from linking up with the sensor to tell me how fast/far I am going. Basically at the moment it's a clock!!! :twisted:

I installed it and set it up exactly as the instructions said, and I have checked the Trouble shooting points and all seems to be fine. I even have it mounted on the stem (of my Sirrus Elite) like they suggest but I don't like.

Help me! :cry:

• pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    Finally got my new Cat Eye Strada (wireless) over the weekend and the damn thing doesn't work......
    All I can suggest is to check the battery in the sensor and make sure the magnet passes close enough to the sensor. Has to be within about 5mm I think.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    I have the wired velo 8 and its great

had a YPK wireless one before that would cut out at 10mph so no good. just send back to wiggle. i did without box and instructions and they refunded straight away then i got velo 8

ok wireless looks better but wired seems to work great
  • Just swapped the batteries over and it has made no difference what so ever!

Evans here I come!

:oops:

• heavymtb wrote:
    Grrrr!

Has any one else had problems with this model. The computer it'self does everything it is supposed to apart from linking up with the sensor to tell me how fast/far I am going. Basically at the moment it's a clock!!! :twisted:

I installed it and set it up exactly as the instructions said, and I have checked the Trouble shooting points and all seems to be fine. I even have it mounted on the stem (of my Sirrus Elite) like they suggest but I don't like.

Help me! :cry:

My only tip would be to try twisting the sensor around your fork so it is almost touching the magnet when the wheel revolves. They should literally just miss colliding.

That's the only way I could get mine to play ball - but it is a wired one so I guess the wireless could be the issue....
  • Well I moved the sensor within about 0.5mm away from the magnet and HEY PRESTO it works! It was well within the reccomended 5mm anyway.

Poor show by cateye really either way I am very happy it is now firing on all cylinders! :D

Thanks guys really appreciate your help yet again!

:lol: Next time I forget how to tie my shoelaces I'lll log on!!!!! :lol:

• biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    When fitting my Cateye I noticed quite how little margin for error there is in terms of how close the sensor needs to be. I'd just get it as close as you can - even if you need some wadding under the sensor mount.