turbo trainers

dcab
dcab Posts: 255
edited September 2008 in Road beginners
this one's easy ! can anyone recomend a reasonable priced trainer?
veritas vos liberabit

Comments

• http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDeta ... goryID=121
    (sorry dont know how to hyperlink)
    i have this one it does everything you want it to, and is good value for money
    happy training :D
  • dcab
    cheers! a fellow cervelo rider? great minds and all that?
    veritas vos liberabit
  • i have a brand new cycleops mag+ fir sale if you're interested.

gats
  • dcab
    thanks 4 the offer !think i'm gonna go 4 a blackburn trackstand ultra?
    veritas vos liberabit
  • Hi,
    How much are you looking to get for the turbo?
    I fancy one, but can't really do it anywhere apart from the dining room, so will also have to shell out for a second shed to put it in eventually!
  • That's what the space between the sofa and the TV is there for isn't it!? That's where I plan on using mine when I get it!
    Boardman Road Comp '08
    Spesh FSR XC Expert '08
  • 85 inc postage to the uk. its the MAG+ with remote changer fully boxed.

GAts
  • Having not used a trainer before, I'm a bit unsure - how stable are they? Do you need t do aything with the front wheel? I've seen a front wheel stand on Chainreaction, but I assume that's just to protect the floor from the tyre?
    Boardman Road Comp '08
    Spesh FSR XC Expert '08
  • you can buy things like cycleops riser blocks these are variable hieght blocks that are stackable to simulate hill climbs. the other advanges of them are that the keep the front wheel more stable than if it were on the floor alone and also makes the bike level as the rear wheel is off the floor so without the rise you're permanently in a state of decent.

Things I found when buying a turbo and I'm only a novice so any other more experienced users feel free to jump in! are that investing in a decent sound/vibration mat, getting a conti indoor trainer specific tyre for the back wheel and a riser block and the use of a training dvd make turbo life a little more bearable - not much, but a little!

Gats

• Things I found when buying a turbo and I'm only a novice so any other more experienced users feel free to jump in! are that investing in a decent sound/vibration mat, getting a conti indoor trainer specific tyre for the back wheel and a riser block and the use of a training dvd make turbo life a little more bearable - not much, but a little!

Gats

I changed the sensor for the computer, to the rear wheel type. Which obviously helps if you want to record distances/times. Mine is pretty ancient, so won't take the skewers used nowadays (it is old! :roll: ) - needs a dome either side to lock into. Think the new ones have a slot to accept the quick release handle side, don't they?
  • Apologies for jumping in did not want to start another thread. Just a quick question on turbo trainers are they adjustable to varying wheel sizes, and if a yes would this be the case on most models ? Thanks
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    turbo trainers are they adjustable to varying wheel sizes?

Lots of turbo trainers work by pressing a roller to the tyre. The mechanism to do this is usually adjustable from 26inch wheels to 700C wheels. If you search online at Wiggle, for instance, the description will confirm the wheel size.

As well as an anti-vibration mat and DVD player (I watch films instead of training DVDs) I'd recommend a fan, preferably with 14 or 16 inch blades. It is very easy to over heat on a turbo trainer. A cheap heart rate monitor will also help you gauge how your body is responding. A nearby surface is also handy for bottles of water.
    Steve C
  • you can buy things like cycleops riser blocks
    Gats

If you don't want to spend the cash a phone book will get the wheel off the floor, although the stability issue remains.
  • sc999cs wrote:
    A nearby surface is also handy for bottles of water.

I just use the bottle cages that are already on the bike for this.
  • penugent wrote:
    sc999cs wrote:
    A nearby surface is also handy for bottles of water.

Do any of these turbos offer power readings to find out how much effort you are putting into it?
    17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!
  • fuzzynavel wrote:
    Do any of these turbos offer power readings to find out how much effort you are putting into it?

Tacx Flow (aka Tacx 1680).... I'm pretty sure I read it does it.. I just ordered it this morning here...

http://www.slanecycles.co.uk/productdetail.aspx?id=442&subid=327&catid=71
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    Tacx Flow most certainly - I use one of those.

I refill 1.5 litre mineral water bottles which are the wrong size and shape for the bottle cage and tend to fall out.
    Steve C