Royal Mail

CHRISNOIR
CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
edited September 2008 in Campaign
For the second time in a month the moron who delivers our mail has left a cardboard package for me behind a plant pot at the front of our house (the irony here is that my sister was in the house at the time; he didn't knock). It's from Amazon, it's cardboard packaging, it's tipping it down with rain, it's CDs* - they're ruined.

Has anyone succesfully claimed for some compensation, and was it a bit of a slog?

*The Incredible String Band - thanks for asking...

Comments

• Once got cost-plus compensation from RMail when some tickets were wrongly delivered (twice I think) and finally turned up about a week after the event. It was some years ago now so the routine has no doubt changed in the interests of progress.
    Good luck.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    It'll be down to the sender to make the claim for loss/damages.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    redvee wrote:
    It'll be down to the sender to make the claim for loss/damages.

Cheers! Will give Amazon a shout as well.
  • Once sold a cycling shirt on eBay and it supposedly didn't arrive and I got compensation back off Royal Mail (which I then of course had to pass on to the buyer.). Had to prove the price of the shirt though. Found the shirt in a magazine advert at about ten pounds more than I sold it for and made a profit.
    BTW how did a CD get wrecked by a bit of rain? I quite often have to wash my children's DVDs in hot soapy water to remove finger prints and jam and peanut butter. I understand that the inlay and such like would be ruined but not the CD itself. Copy the CD and then claim the money back from the Royal Mail.

Can we fix it?
    Yes we can!
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Once sold a cycling shirt on eBay and it supposedly didn't arrive and I got compensation back off Royal Mail (which I then of course had to pass on to the buyer.). Had to prove the price of the shirt though. Found the shirt in a magazine advert at about ten pounds more than I sold it for and made a profit.
    BTW how did a CD get wrecked by a bit of rain? I quite often have to wash my children's DVDs in hot soapy water to remove finger prints and jam and peanut butter. I understand that the inlay and such like would be ruined but not the CD itself. Copy the CD and then claim the money back from the Royal Mail.
    You come across as a throughly dishonest person and are encouraging others to commit fraud as well

Is that really how you wantto be seen - especially in a public forum
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • spen666 wrote:
    You come across as a throughly dishonest person and are encouraging others to commit fraud as well

Is it cold there up on your high horse?????

You are moaning about the Royal Mail actually delivering something??? I would consider myself luck to be honest.
  • spen666
    Parsnip49 wrote:
    spen666 wrote:

Is it cold there up on your high horse?????

You are moaning about the Royal Mail actually delivering something??? I would consider myself luck to be honest.

Erm

I'm not complaining about the Royal Mail at all.

Twittering @spen_666
  • High horse comment targeted at you.

RM comment target at OP

HTH
  • spen666 wrote:
    Once sold a cycling shirt on eBay and it supposedly didn't arrive and I got compensation back off Royal Mail (which I then of course had to pass on to the buyer.). Had to prove the price of the shirt though. Found the shirt in a magazine advert at about ten pounds more than I sold it for and made a profit.

Hang on, if the item was reported as not turning up then how is claiming the value of the goods back "dis-honest :? Maybe you mis-read what was being said :?:
  • spen666
    spen666 wrote:

Hang on, if the item was reported as not turning up then how is claiming the value of the goods back "dis-honest :? Maybe you mis-read what was being said :?:

The value of the goods is the issue

OP sold for £X but claimed back from postoffice £X + £Y

OP claims he made a profit by the claim from the post office - he claimed more than the value of the goods he lost. The post office's liability is to put him in the position he would have been in if the contract had been performed is he would have had £X not £X + £Y

That is the point that comes over as dishonest - ie his admission of making a profit out of the claim

Twittering @spen_666
  • Foz72
    Foz72 Posts: 81
    > The value of the goods is the issue

Yes. And the replacement cost of the lost shirt would (obviously) be the actual cost of replacing it. In this case the cost of buying one at the advertised market rate :roll:
  • spen666
    Foz72 wrote:
    > The value of the goods is the issue

Yes. And the replacement cost of the lost shirt would (obviously) be the actual cost of replacing it. In this case the cost of buying one at the advertised market rate :roll:
    Ahh but his loss was not the shirt as he sold it, his loss was the value he was to receive in consideration

If your point is to be correct, then the OP would have to refund the purchaser the cost of replacing the sirt, not just the price paid

If the OP has made and retained a profit from the Royal Mail, he has been dishonest

Twittering @spen_666
  • zaynan
    zaynan Posts: 180
    someone call the cops, yawn....
    www.practicalcycles.com
    The home of cargo bikes
  • If you make an insurance claim in any circumstance it's the cost of the goods new that you claim for, surely? Or would you trawl e-bay looking for the best value for the insurance co?
  • And i'm sure if he simply "told them" the true cost they wouldn't believe him any-way :? Any-hoo you're the only right one here zaynan.........£10 difference......Fraud squad duely notifiezzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • Foz72
    Foz72 Posts: 81
    >Ahh but his loss was not the shirt as he sold it

It was still his property when the Royal Mail lost it. The sale was not completed as the Royal Mail lost the goods. The Royal Mail owed him a shirt :shock:
  • spen666
    If you make an insurance claim in any circumstance it's the cost of the goods new that you claim for, surely? Or would you trawl e-bay looking for the best value for the insurance co?
    any insurance claim depends on the terms of your contract with your insurance company - some offer new for old cover, some offer the current value of item at time it was stolen.

Here it is not as simple as that.

The ownership of the goods passed to the purchaser at the conclusion of the sale contract.....

Twittering @spen_666
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    Foz72 wrote:
    It was still his property when the Royal Mail lost it.

Technically not, all items within the Royal Mail postal system are the property of the monarch!!! :wink:

You could try claiming from her.
  • spen666
    Coriander wrote:
    Foz72 wrote:

Technically not, all items within the Royal Mail postal system are the property of the monarch!!! :wink:

so you know where she got it from if she is seen wearing a cycling top then....

Twittering @spen_666
  • spen666 wrote:
    Coriander wrote:
    Foz72 wrote:

so you know where she got it from if she is seen wearing a cycling top then....

That actually made me laugh I was feeling a bit down today but you cheered me up no end
    The gear changing, helmet wearing fule.
    FCN :- -1
    Given up waiting for Fast as Fupp to start stalking me