Different challenges around the UK

willbevan
willbevan Posts: 1,241
edited September 2008 in Tour & expedition
Hi guys,

Looking for a challenge to set for next year for a friend of mine that wants to get fit, and also raise some money for charity...

Been trying to think of different options, as i think lands end to john o is probably a bit to ambitious...

I know people do coast to coast, and seen a london to paris but are there any others like that, that are challenges in or around the uk?

I have agreed to help the chap trian and ride it with him, but want to find something that really apeals to him, something he will be proud to of done and all the work to achieve it, if that makes sense

Thanks

Will
Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
MTB - Trek Fuel 80
TT - Echelon

http://www.rossonwye.cyclists.co.uk/

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    What about Lon Las Cymru, (see Sustrans) goes from Cardiff or Chepstow to Hollyhead. The northern part is fairly challenging, but a fantastic route, about 250 miles.
  • willbevan
    willbevan Posts: 1,241
    cheers for that sugestion! going to look at it now!
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

http://www.rossonwye.cyclists.co.uk/
  • ronstrutt
    ronstrutt Posts: 3,170
    Lands End to Lowestoft?
  • mab bee
    mab bee Posts: 196
    carlisle to inverness is nice. But don't follow the sustrans route (which goes via the Forth bridge, and up the A9); instead, go via Dumfries, Ayr, Dunoon (via ferry hop), Inverrary, Rannoch Moor, Glen Coe, Fort William, Loch Ness. Doable in about four days if you go at a good pace, five if you take your time.
  • BiggerBoat
    BiggerBoat Posts: 168
    Another vote for LOW2LE. Just finished LOW2LE (Lowestoft to Lands End). You can check it out on my blog low2le.blogspot.com I enjoyed it! Though my buddy was wasted.
    We need a bigger boat.

Giant OCR 4
    Trek Madone 5.2
    Ridgeback Speed (FCN 15)
  • If the End to End seems a bit mad, you could always trying hitting the main constituents of the British Isles. I started in Carlisle, did the Lakes, North Wales and the ferry to Dublin. From there I rode up to Belfast, ferry back to Stranraer and across Dumfries and Galloway back to Carlisle.

When I finished I'd been through five countries (not really sure what NI is calling itself these days but you know what I mean) and everyone offered outstanding routes. I would say this but Scotland probably just won out (not a car is sight, deserted high moorland and brilliant sunshine!) but there really was not a lot in it. I took six days and from memory it is about 500 miles but there is no need to set that pace and you can take the longer ferry overnight.

David D
  • What about a tour around the Islands off the West coast of Scotland:

Skye - Lewis - Harris - North Uist - Benbecula - South Uist - Barra - Mull - Jura - Islay - Arran

Lots of ferries and good sea-legs required, but it'll take you through some amazing places. Including the Caol Ila distillery on Islay! Oh yes.
  • I recently cycled the Reivers (east to west) as an alternative to the C2C. It's longer and a lot tougher than the C2C and for a national cycle route it gets very interesting on a road bike, if you like a challenge. This was shot by my mate to show Keilder Forest at its best :) and this was not the least road-like stretch of path. The weather and prevailing winds made the ride even more fun than it could have been :shock:

362710542_2Th2H-M.jpg
    Andrew
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Al Downie wrote:
    What about a tour around the Islands off the West coast of Scotland:

Skye - Lewis - Harris - North Uist - Benbecula - South Uist - Barra - Mull - Jura - Islay - Arran

Lots of ferries and good sea-legs required, but it'll take you through some amazing places. Including the Caol Ila distillery on Islay! Oh yes.

100% back that suggestion - just spent time there cycling - it was fantastic and a real getaway from the hustle and bustle of daily life.

I got to Barra and then headed over to Oban, up to Fort William and then onto Skye.

You can read a little about it here:

http://marcusjb.wordpress.com/2008/08/2 ... 851-miles/
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Marcus

I thoroughly enjoyed you account of the trip! Great information and pictures - it has really inspired me!
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I recently cycled the Reivers (east to west) as an alternative to the C2C. It's longer and a lot tougher than the C2C and for a national cycle route it gets very interesting on a road bike, if you like a challenge. This was shot by my mate to show Keilder Forest at its best :) and this was not the least road-like stretch of path. The weather and prevailing winds made the ride even more fun than it could have been :shock:

I think that might be the same Sustrans dude who designed the Ilfracombe to Plymouth route. He clearly has a good sense of humour.

We cycled down an ever narrowing country lane, ended up in a rocky car park, and then had to push our road bikes up what looked like a dry(ish) river bed. This is my Dad struggling on:

2500940245_b3545c2dd0.jpg