Washing kit

Hornetto
Hornetto Posts: 141
edited September 2008 in Road beginners
Probably the most mundane question ever asked on here! :oops:
Having only recently bought my first jersey and lycra shorts, I've come to washing them for the first time. The thing is that it says on the label to hand wash only, which is a bit of a pain. What does everyone do with their kit - hand wash or just machine wash on gentle at 30deg? Does it really matter?
FWIW I've got an Altura Asymetrix jersey and Altura Airstream shorts.

Cheers all.
Never argue with an idiot - they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience

Comments

• Machine wash at 30deg for me -not had a problem with it yet
  • I've got more lycra than fits in one washing machine load (rowing stuff mainly, and padded shorts), and I can't say I've ever hand-washed any of it. It all goes into the washing machine, at 30 or 40 deg, synthetic wash. I've never had any problems with that - just remember it still needs to get sorted into the appropriate colour pile :).
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Just use detergent - no fabric softener.

I tend to put mine on an extra rinse as well, just to make sure it gets all of the detergent out.
  • Cheers for that - I was hoping that that would be the answer! Having to hand wash everything would seriously put me off wearing the kit regularly!!
    Never argue with an idiot - they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience
  • Hornetto wrote:
    Cheers for that - I was hoping that that would be the answer! Having to hand wash everything would seriously put me off wearing the kit regularly!!

:shock:

No, please, wash it regularly otherwise all sorts of nasty things will bite your bum...
    Spring!
    Singlespeeds in town rule.
  • No I said WEARING it regularly :lol:

Not going out twice in dirty kit - especially after going commando!! :shock:
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    One tip to help stop plucking, turn the item inside out and do up any zips before putting in the wash.
  • unclemalc wrote:
    Hornetto wrote:
    Cheers for that - I was hoping that that would be the answer! Having to hand wash everything would seriously put me off wearing the kit regularly!!

:shock:

No, please, wash it regularly otherwise all sorts of nasty things will bite your bum...

:oops: Sorry :D
    Spring!
    Singlespeeds in town rule.
  • markos1963 wrote:
    One tip to help stop plucking, turn the item inside out and do up any zips before putting in the wash.

And take extra care that any velcro on items like gloves is fixed up and turned inside out. I've got a nice "brushed section" of lycra just above the groin on my best pair of bib shorts after I allowed someone to do me the favour of washing my kit... :oops: At least it distracts attention from the hairs poking through the lycra down there. :twisted:
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Philip S wrote:
    markos1963 wrote:

And take extra care that any velcro on items like gloves is fixed up and turned inside out. I've got a nice "brushed section" of lycra just above the groin on my best pair of bib shorts after I allowed someone to do me the favour of washing my kit... :oops: At least it distracts attention from the hairs poking through the lycra down there. :twisted:

get yourself some mesh laundry bags and put shorts in one bag, gloves in another etc. Whites wash seperately. i use either a 30deg wash or a -40 deg (slightly less than 40) especially for shorts and a Bio powder. i do a rinse afterwards to remove the detergent.
    M.Rushton
  • Slurp
    Slurp Posts: 220
    The whole lot gets bunged in at 30deg, delicates cycle. that includes the black lycra shorts and bright yellow Altura jacket. Not had colour running problems. But would reiterate the advice to lock up the velcro. Don't machine dry it though. Let it drip.
    ---
    If I\'m not making any sense, it\'s because I\'m incoherent.