KIds Bedtime

NEILHEAD
NEILHEAD Posts: 435
edited September 2008 in The Crudcatcher
Hi all, I have two boys 11yrs and 7 yrs. My oldest is starting secondary school tommorow and i feel it might be time to give him a little more slack. My question is what time do other parents have for their kids bedtimes ? on both schoolnights and weekends.
Never trust a man with facial hair.

http://neilhead.pinkbike.com/album/my-bike/

Comments

• Fourty reads and not one bit of advice :roll: I cant be the only parent on here, can i?
    I was thinking 9pm and 8pm dose that sound fair :?:
    ANYONE :(

• BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    Depends on the individual kid, amount of physical activity, homework etc.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • Not that I have kids but for me it was 8pm untill I was 14, would of been sooner had I of grown up a little more.. Still strugging with it though :lol:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I used to have to be home before midnight when I was 11, and in bed before 1am.

I still think most parents are way too strict
  • I used to have to be home before midnight when I was 11, and in bed before 1am.

I still think most parents are way too strict

My boy wants your rules and he would like to visit. He`s alwas wanted to go to the moon :lol:

• Anonymous
    It's crap on the moon, there's no atmosphere.
  • Is that why no one visits?

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675

yes there was. the was the soup dragon, the clangers and the....
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    Is that why no one visits?
    Not sure, although it certainly plays a part in a kind of chicken and the egg thing.
    See, people don't come here, partially because there's no atmosphere, but, it could be argued that there's no atmoshpere, because there's so few people.

However, i think it's got more to do with the rising cost of fuel, and the fact that it uses a hellofalot of fuel to get here, as it's so very, very far away.

it's also a bad place to be if you're scared of heights.
  • Anonymous
    nicklouse wrote:

yes there was. the was the soup dragon, the clangers and the....
    Sadly, there's not so many of them a you'd think, it's a suprisingly large place.
    I do go and visit them occasionally, but it's quite a trek.
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    Just make sure they get up early in the morning, and in the evening let them choose
    when they want to go to bed. As soon as the night comes they'll start falling like trees.
  • Our eldest (14) "went to bed" at 10.30 last night, went to sleep at 2 (apparently) and was in a crap, foul mood this morning for his first day back at school.

I can't think why :roll:

If he wants to stay up that late he should have to deal with the consequences.

The younger (11) was in bed by about 10 and fine.

It's all very well letting them stay up later but I'd recommend they do so in the privacy o their own room, otherwise you get no evening to yourselves.

Good luck

Mike
  • Anonymous
    Mike, any 14 year old would be in a crap mood on their first day back at school, well rested or not :lol:
  • Anonymous
    if the kid in question has a tv, i would let "it " stay up until "it's" tired.

i reckon the child would eventually find their own bedtime and fall asleep when tired.
    ive never understood the point of sending a kid to bed just so they can lie there awake.

as mentioned before though, it would make sense to send the child to its room at a sensible hour so you get some time to yourself. i would say 8 oclock to their room and lights out when tired.
  • Anonymous
    if the kid in question has a tv, i would let "it " stay up until "it's" tired.

i reckon the child would eventually find their own bedtime and fall asleep when tired.
    ive never understood the point of sending a kid to bed just so they can lie there awake.

as mentioned before though, it would make sense to send the child to its room at a sensible hour so you get some time to yourself. i would say 8 oclock to their room and lights out when tired.
    Bingo, this used to annoy me as a child, especially when staying at a friend's house or something like that.
    "right now, time for bed" even though you're wide awake. I mean, WTF?
    I can't sleep just because you tell me to :roll:

EDIT:
    although I think the most important thing is building up a regular wake up, go sleep routine, so that the kids aren't actually wired at 11pm, and that they can still get up at around 7:30 or so to get to school.
    I still find that one late night on, say a monday, will fu** me up for the rest of the week, until I can catch up with sleep on a weekend, which then leads to very late nights, which then leads to being fu**ed up the following week, etc etc etc.

trying to stop your kids getting into that kind of self-defeating routine should work wonders.
  • Mike, any 14 year old would be in a crap mood on their first day back at school, well rested or not :lol:

Agreed - BUT when crappiness is due to lack of sleep rather than an aversion to school and it is his own fault I can't sympathise.

I frequently go to bed too late and have to get up too early but still have to do it and be nice to people :evil:

Mike
  • Our eldest (14) "went to bed" at 10.30 last night, went to sleep at 2 (apparently) and was in a crap, foul mood this morning for his first day back at school.

I can't think why :roll:

If he wants to stay up that late he should have to deal with the consequences.

The younger (11) was in bed by about 10 and fine.

It's all very well letting them stay up later but I'd recommend they do so in the privacy o their own room, otherwise you get no evening to yourselves.

Good luck

Thaqts the best advice so far up till agreed but in their own room :twisted:
    Mike

• 9pm's fine...
    I am considerably more rock and roll than you.

Road. Mountain. Up hill and down dale...
  • Rich9
    Rich9 Posts: 1,635
    My two go about 7.30ish (7 and 4). but my eldest sits in bed and reads for 20-30mins, which he's fine with. Cant wait to get them out of the way most nights!!
    2014 Whyte T-129S