Upgrade tyres on SCR

Fru T Bunn
Fru T Bunn Posts: 159
edited September 2008 in Road beginners
Hello all. Thanks in a large part to the sterling efforts of our Olympians or a mid-life crisis, I have snapped out of my lethargy.

My Giant SCR 2 has default Michelin Dynamic 700x26 on Alex DA22 rims. There is loads of advise in this forum to change the tyres but can I only use 700x26 or can I come down to 700x23 (Conti Grand Prix 4000S)? Basically, can I come down at all without chaning the rims?

You advise is much appreciated.
Andy

Comments

• topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    Yes, 23mm tyres will be fine, looks like Conti 4000S are the flavour of the month :wink:
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • ded
    ded Posts: 120
    Changed my SCR2 to Conti 4000s 23mm tyres last week. Works fine...
  • I changed the tyres on my SCR2, too, to GP4000ses, when the (ahem) 'Konda Kontenders' wore through. A really noticeable difference straight away - less rolling resistance, and grip on slippery hills/corners
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Sora and Tiagra group set dripped onto a Giant SCR3 frame sitting on Alex DA22 rims wrapped in GP4000s!

GP4000s are the future.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    Yes, you can go to a thinner tyre, but I would recommend sticking to 25mm wide tyres because they are typically more comfortable. Most of a bikes comfort comes from the air in the tyres, and since it is free, you might as well have more of it. I think Conti makes those GP4000 tyres in 25c anyway.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Just out of curiosity, what is the difference between Conti 4000s and regular 4000? I have Conti 4000 tyres, mainly because I like the colour (they're red) - are the 4000s markedly superior?
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    They have a better rubber...
    A simple google search answers that one! First page, first result for GP4000s!!!
    http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/news/article/mps/uan/2358
  • fishyweb
    fishyweb Posts: 173
    edited September 2008
    Slightly off-topic, but I bought an SCR 2 a couple of weeks ago, and it came with Giant IOU 333 rims rather than Alex DA22s. I didn't complain, as I see the 333s are fitted standard to the SCRs higher up the range. It also came with a carbon seatpost, which is also not the standard item for an SCR 2.

Same Kenda Kontender tyres, though I'm not experienced enough to be able to tell whether they are any good or not.
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/287459
    Member of http://www.UKnetrunner.co.UK - the greatest online affiliated running club
  • I recently came off my SCR 3 and slid into a lamp post (imho was stupidly placed :P) the carbon forks took quite a blow and i bukled my back wheel.

would you suggesti upgrade to the GP4000ses or just be more careful in futour?
  • A bit of both, I think Beach: I definitely noticed the difference with grip. But take it easy on those corners!
    BTW were the forks okay?
  • fishyweb wrote:
    Slightly off-topic, but I bought an SCR 2 a couple of weeks ago, and it came with Giant IOU 333 rims rather than Alex DA22s. I didn't complain, as I see the 333s are fitted standard to the SCRs higher up the range. It also came with a carbon seatpost, which is also not the standard item for an SCR 2.

Same Kenda Kontender tyres, though I'm not experienced enough to be able to tell whether they are any good or not.

Those wheels are the ones shown in the brochure. But I was given Alex rims. I can't understand why they do that. Why would it have a carbon seat post though?

I was considering a set of Mavic Aksiums, but I don't think I'll bother now. The DA22's seem to holding up quite well, and I don't believe new wheels will exactly add 2kph onto my average speed.

A lot of people slate the standard tyres and wheels, but after over 3,000km I don't think they are that bad. The back tyre started to wear out so I replaced them both with some cheap Michelin Oriums. They are ok, but nothing to rave about.

Cheers
    Pedro
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • Hi CanterburyTailwind ok thanks

um im not sure yet im taking it to a local bike shop on saturday.
    a lot of paint flaked off but i cant see any thing obvious
  • Apologies if I'm stupid, but if you change the tyres on the scr2 to 700x23 can you still use original inner tubes?
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    DBrindley wrote:
    Apologies if I'm stupid, but if you change the tyres on the scr2 to 700x23 can you still use original inner tubes?

most inner tubes have a fairly large range ie. 18-25mm - rubber is kinda stretchy :)

the sizes will be found be on the tubes if you pop the tyre off