Back Pain

Nick6891
Nick6891 Posts: 274
edited September 2008 in Road beginners
i used to get this problem alot but not as often now, although i do still get it when i spend over about 3hours in saddle, any ideas on how to stop it, is it something to do with riding style?

Comments

• Aidanw
    Aidanw Posts: 449
    Upper or lower back?

Could be lots of things including saddle height, Handlebar height, Stem length.

Could be you need to take longer rests in your 3 hour rides to let your body get more used to the stresses.
  • its always lower back, i have my saddle raised quite high but i dont normally stop for a rest much or for long, only when it starts hurting
  • Might be the way your saddle is positioned i.e. is it at an upright angle or is it pointing down a bit? I used to get back ache from my saddle pointing down too far or pointing up too far, have a look at it.
  • ill try altering the saddle and see if that helps
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    I used to get quite a bit of lower back pain when I was out for 3 hours or more, changed to shorter stems (60mm from 105mm) as I was overreaching and being told so, and problem has gone away.

Done 8 hour rides since, no problems.
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    You get used to it!

Building up the strength in the core muscles helped me but I get problems with my back in general.
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • Nick6891 wrote:
    its always lower back, i have my saddle raised quite high but i dont normally stop for a rest much or for long, only when it starts hurting

Not sure if i was fed false info but some-one told me it was because my stomach muscles weren't strong enough :?:
  • In my personal experience, lower back pain can be brought on by a lack of strength of Core Muscle group, i.e. stomach muscles. I mountain bike at the moment, looking at buying a road bike, (but it's my birthday in a month so I've been told to hold off buying yet!) so I can't comment on the affect long rides will have.

Do a search (either on here or google) for core muscle exercises to see if that improves it. Using a large exercise ball for balancing exercises can help. My other issue is that I have short hamstrings, and over-compensate by using my lower back too much. I've never been able to touch my toes, I'm just not flexible!
    Boardman Road Comp '08
    Spesh FSR XC Expert '08
  • fenski
    fenski Posts: 119
    I used to get alot of lower back pain which I eventually managed to sort out by tweaking the saddle height and getting a shorter stem.

About a month ago I started to think my saddle was a bit low from a pedalling efficiency point of view so I raised it... the result - I've damaged something in my back and haven't been able to ride since.

So the fact you say you ride with quite a high saddle suggests to me that you should try lowering it a bit and see how you get on.

My back is my 'achilles heel', therefore I think that saddle height has to be a compromise between comfort and pedalling efficiency.

I would echo the recommendations to do some core muscle exercises - I would too except my back is too sore! Well that's the current excuse.
  • Nick6891 wrote:
    its always lower back, i have my saddle raised quite high but i dont normally stop for a rest much or for long, only when it starts hurting

Not sure if i was fed false info but some-one told me it was because my stomach muscles weren't strong enough :?:
    im a healthy enough person so my stomach is well pretty strong but back probably not so much as it seems harder to exercise that part of your body, ill try some of your suggestions out and see what happens