1TB External HD, Help me choose?

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited September 2008 in The Crudcatcher
hey,

i have a mac mini and want a bigger external HD..
i've already got a 250gb HD that is filling up fast, and i want to use that purely just for backups.

I was looking at a mybook - world, 1TB ethernet HD, however i have found that this isn't compatible with my mac due to it not being able to be formatted. (it was cheap at £140 in currys).

So what would you recommend? (i dont think any ethernet HD is compatable unless its specifically for mac)
my current HD is a seagate and i've had no problems, however i wouldn't mind a few views/input from computer "hexperts" :lol:

B

Comments

• CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    I've used Lacie external hard drives for years and never had one fail despite them been thrown in bags, then into the pack of the car and so on. One of the staff dropped one down the stairs whilst I was holiday banging the case up quite badly it now rattles a lot but is still working. Not sure if they do 1TB
  • hmm kk...i'll look into it :)

thing is, with the seagate, i've lost all my files twice now....luckily i had the software to recover *most* of the data, so i'm a bit wary as to going back to them :(

i need 1TB as i've got tooo much stuff :(

got over 200GB (and climbing) photos (lots in raw image etc etc), About 70GB in music, endless films etc etc.

plus me and my gf use it for uni work such as video,website,photography etc and need lots of safe storage for all the files.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I always thought external HDDs were formatted to suit both PC and Mac use then it was upto the end user to format to suit their machine. Bought a Seagate that was formatted to FAT32 which suits both PC & Mac but had to convert to NTFS when I had an 4.2Gb ISO that I couldn't transfer cause FAT32 limits file size to 4Gb, now both my HDDs, C & F, are NTFS.
    simply open a command prompt and type
    convert drive_letter: /fs:ntfs
    replace "drive_letter" with the letter of the drive you want to convert
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.