100 in under 6 hours

John C.
John C. Posts: 2,113
This has been a good year for me

Fred Whitton 115 miles about 4000m climb in 8:05
Rydale Rumble 113 miles about 3500m climb in 7:52
200 miles a few hills in 15:30

but I have yet to do a 100 miler in under 6 hours.
I'm doing the Hell of the North next week end but I'm in with a group who will be stopping so that will be ruled out as a sub 6 hour ride. Any ideas of any rides or groups of riders in North Yorkshire I can join to achieve my goal ?
http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
Hills are just a matter of pace

Comments

• Hmmm - I don't know about the geography of Yorkshire, I'd just find a flat course somewhere and with a bit of effort (or a few attempts) you should reach your target, regardless of whether in a group or not.

If it's a sub 6 hour hilly 100 miler in Yorkshire, then that's a different proposition altogether!
  • Manchester 100 should be easy to get under 6 hours...

But I don't get the point, really... I think it's much more satisfactory to do the Fred Witton in 8 hours than an easy one in 6...
    left the forum March 2023
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    Manchester 100 should be easy to get under 6 hours...

But I don't get the point, really... I think it's much more satisfactory to do the Fred Witton in 8 hours than an easy one in 6...
    Despite it not being in Yorkshire, I was going to suggest that too, but it clashes with the Hell of the North at the weekend. Even I managed to do the M100 in 5 hrs 45 mins (riding time) so I'm sure that John could do it in nearer to 5 hrs dead given the other rides he's done.
  • SeanT
    SeanT Posts: 51
    I finished the Fred in 8:10 this year, and did the Manchester 100 in 5:30 last year. I think we even beat 6 hours on the tandem in the M100 two years ago.

Out of the Sportives I've done I would target the Polkadot Challenge to go under 6 hours in. Although I still have a way to go, I managed 6:38 but the conditions were horrible this year.

I live in south Leeds and when I fancy a fast flat ride I head East. Its pan flat around the Selby area and there are plenty of quiet lanes. The wind can be a killer on the way back though.
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    Manchester 100 should be easy to get under 6 hours...

I agree that doing the Fred in under 8 or getting Gold in the RR will be more satisfying BUT it's just something I want to do, once I've done it, that'll be it, I'll head back to the hills again.
    I just love that word. Hills :wink: The steeper the bettter, and Hardknott on the Hundred mile mark, stop stop I'm getting too exited.
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • Ken Night
    Ken Night Posts: 2,005
    John C. wrote:
    ................. and Hardknott on the Hundred mile mark, stop stop I'm getting too exited.

Yes, that route is perfect isn't it. I thoroughly enjoyed my experience on the Fred last year, and would love to do it again, and to try to improve my time

I've only done a couple of sub 6hr 100's, the most recent being the Dragon this year in 5h 50m....before that it was a CTC outing 100 in 8, years ago and I got back in 6. I seem to remember a tail wind out and back

....you should go for it, such a nice way to spend a quarter of a day, if a little pointless to the casual observer
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • Hi John,

I might be mistaken, but don't you live somewhere near Thirsk? It must be possible to plot a reasonably flat route down the A19 towards York and then out towards Selby/Howden/Goole and back - may not be the prettiest but it would be fast!

I must admit I'm scratching my head a bit - your Fred time is better than mine by some 25 mins, but I've done a few 100 milers around the York area in under 5 hours! I reckon a flat route on a still day would see you well under 6 for the 100. Not stopping unless absolutely necessary helps; I use a 3l Camelbak for long rides which means no stopping at shops.

I agree with you about the hills though, much more fun. I'll be having a look at Boltby Bank in a few weeks, which I understand you know well :wink:
  • Hi John,

If you just want to go fast, work in a group. This year I did the 4 day Tour of Ireland Cycling Challenge. Apart from being the best event I have experienced, it was very fast as the main peleton worked together with a pace car. On day 2 I managed the 136 miles in 5:54!

Maybe this is the way to go. Personally I'd much rather go fast than slog up hills - for me it's far more exciting and can be just as challenging. I always think it's puzzling that hill climbers don't want to go fast - or is is it? :wink:

Tom
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Yes, the Polkadots the fastest 100 I've did in a sportive....if I remember right 6.45 or something...but the Polkadot is now finished and the lads are only running one event next year...the Spud Riley in June...and I'll not finish that in 6 Hours! and theres no 100mile sportifs in the Moors or the Dales or Lakes where you'll do a sub 6 hour, thats for sure!

John, wot you talking about man?...a sub 6 hours 100 means very flattish terrain and I know what floats your boat :wink: just get back on yer bike and get in your normal position with nose in the air and you trying to keep the front wheel down....now thats more like you eh?....tut,tut all this sub 6hours 100 malarky :)

Personally, my only goal as always is not to stop or walk on any of the climbs....my time on the Fred this year was 8.50 or something...I had rode very conservatively in order for what came at 100miles....still I managed to get up the Daddy of all climbs again(just) and the time was irrelevant for me....I could have probably shaved 40 / 50 mins off the time if I really went for it...but then Hardknott would have wiped the floor with me.

I would get more pleasure out of my 8.50 and no walking than a 7.30 with walking!...the Hills IMO are the challenge....and I do remember so many saying "oh i'm not even attempting Hardknott, I've just brought my cleat covers"...I do not see the point in that at all..thats the Challenge?......oh well, its all personal I suppose
  • I managed to ride the Laurent Desbiens sportive (about 155 km) in 4hrs 40. I hadn't done any racing since April, but the groups were very good at sharing the work and the terrain around Armentiers was relatively flat (rather like Essex) with just a handful of short climbs of 10% or so.

A very well organised event and within ride-able distance of channel ports. There was also a touring/audax event the following day that included the Kemmelberg climb and free beer at the feed stops.

info: http://www.lechtibiketour.org/