3 day tour of France

ram038
ram038 Posts: 187
edited September 2008 in Tour & expedition
I have 3 days holiday left to take and I was thinking of doing a 3 day tour starting from from Calais just a short one to get a feel for the country and to see if touring suits me. I will be taking my road bike and will travel with cycliing clothes and a normal clothes for when i am not on the bike. I think i would prefer to head south along the coast fof France rom Calais but if anyone can recommend Belgium i will go that way instead. IAs i am travelling so light I would be staying at hotels , again if anyone can recommend a good hotel i would be grateful.i

Comments

• tim_f
    tim_f Posts: 12
    Consider starting from Bologne as the speed ferries cat is cheap 10 GBP each way, and fast to get on and off. Getting out of town in to cycling coutryside is quicker from Bologne than Calais.

Over an extended bank holiday weekend I did a 5 day trip up to Amsterdam, from Bologne.

the best cycling was a 100 km arch in land towards St Omer and then then on to the Belgium Border.

I think you could have a good few days in the area behind and to the south west of Bologne. Have a look at the Pas De Calais Somme michelin map available from Waterstones book shop.
  • ram038
    ram038 Posts: 187
    tim_f wrote:
    Consider starting from Bologne as the speed ferries cat is cheap 10 GBP each way, and fast to get on and off. Getting out of town in to cycling coutryside is quicker from Bologne than Calais.

Over an extended bank holiday weekend I did a 5 day trip up to Amsterdam, from Bologne.

the best cycling was a 100 km arch in land towards St Omer and then then on to the Belgium Border.

I think you could have a good few days in the area behind and to the south west of Bologne. Have a look at the Pas De Calais Somme michelin map available from Waterstones book shop.

thanks for that will check out the map.