Yesterday's Ride - Future Riding Advice

jezcc
jezcc Posts: 111
edited September 2008 in Road beginners
I'm fairly new to this road riding malarkey (bike is now 11 days old!) I've done a bit of mountain biking here and there before this though.

I've done about 250km in my first 11 days including 2 'long' rides these were.

Bank holiday Monday - 64km around the Chilterns took 1.25 litres of Isostar and no solids with me and felt awful at around 50km. Struggled through the last 15km.

Yesterday - 115km around the Chilterns, took 1.25litrs of isostar, loads of brioche and 2 flapjacks, averaged 25.5kmh for the first 85km then became very tired and had to tiptoe home at an average of about 18kmh.

I assume that I bought myself another 35km of riding with my food and that if I want to do more than 85km still feeling healthy then all I need to do is lots of 85km rides and build up stamina?
FCN 4-6 depending

2008 Rocky Mountain ETSX
2008 Ribble

Comments

• mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......................................brioche

when are you eating?
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • It doesn't sound like you're drinking enough - 70 miles with just 1.25 litres isn't enough in my experience.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    couple of gels.. you'll be alright
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • jezcc
    I had a bite to eat about every 20km. Also, I had a big load of porridge for breakfast.

How can I get more drink? I could put 2 x 750ml bottles on the bike and get up to 1.5litres, but to get any more than that I'd need to buy some on the way round? Is that the idea?

Brioche is lovely, not sure about gels, I've tried them before but didn't like the taste very much.
    FCN 4-6 depending

2008 Rocky Mountain ETSX
    2008 Ribble
  • hold your nose if u dont like the taste!

and you must pass a shop for water?
  • hold your nose if u dont like the taste!

and you must pass a shop for water?
  • DOH!
  • Yep - buy drinks on the way around if you need to. In dire emergencies (90 degree heat and no water or shops) I've knocked on doors and asked politely if people would mind filling my bottle - not been refused yet.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    You need to prepare properly for such rides :wink:
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • IMO you need to build up more gradually to your longer rides first. What distances were you regularly doing on your MTB? 10% more each week (40 miles, 44, 49 etc) and have 1 or 2 shorter (1 hr max) higher intensity rides in the week with hills to build up strength. You need top be eating regularly after 1 hours riding (high carb, low fat): gels, organic flapjack, malt loaf, fig rolls etc.
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    jezcc wrote:
    115km around the Chilterns, took 1.25litrs of isostar, loads of brioche and 2 flapjacks, averaged 25.5kmh for the first 85km then became very tired and had to tiptoe home at an average of about 18kmh.
    1.25L for 5+hrs is not enough.

750ml/hr is probably a better bet. Stop at a shop/garage and get a top up.
    Rich
  • jezcc
    I do about 3h30m to 4h on my MTB typically. Hard to compare really because it's a bit more intense singletrack riding and whatnot.

I guess I'll try and drink more, although I had to pee twice on sunday even drinking 1250ml. It was raining, so I didn't sweat very much.

Cheers for the help everyone.
    FCN 4-6 depending

2008 Rocky Mountain ETSX
    2008 Ribble
  • no need for gels and energy bars, just eat jelly babies :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

3 jelly babies is the equivalent to one energy bar
  • W5454
    W5454 Posts: 133
    I found that the more I ate before a 70/80 mile ride the more sluggish I felt.Now I have 4 Weetabix and milk with a big spoonful of sugar followed by a big pot of tea and a marathon bar.For the ride I take 2 Mars bars just in case.
  • jezcc
    blimey.

We're all different I suppose, but a bit of fod as you go round has got to help.

70 miles without food would finish me off for sure.
    FCN 4-6 depending

2008 Rocky Mountain ETSX
    2008 Ribble