Tour of Ireland stage 5 *spoiler*

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited September 2008 in Pro race
Stage won by Rabon.

Overall by Pinotti - Sounded like a bit of a corker so I look forward to the TV coverage tonight!
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    edited September 2008
    An absolute cracker - the overall was uncertain until a few km to go.Talking to a few of the riders afterwards, the 17km finishing circuit is a leg-breaker. Everyone was watching Michael Barry so Pinotti buggered off. Downing fought tooth and nail to hold on but there was no way that Pinarello /
    Canditv were going to manage to control 18 riders within 18 seconds. Columbia had to work hard for the overall.

A few things I found out today.:
    Big Magnus isn't as tall or heavy as you'd imagine
    Little Gary Imlach isn't that small.
    The Columbia bikes are v.nice
    You can ride up part of Patricks Hill "no-hands" if you want to show off.
    The podium girls aren't as chunky as they appear on TV
    Duffers continues to be annoying
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • LangerDan
    A few piccies from the finish today:-

Picture041.jpg
    Calm before the storm.......

Picture039.jpg
    Break of the day - Rabon (Columbia) and Ericsson (Pezula)

Picture072.jpg
    Not nice after 900km

Picture058.jpg
    Malcolm Elliot (at rear) not so chirpy now

Picture097.jpg
    Russell Downing thinking what might have been:

Picture121.jpg
    Marco Pinotti seems happy with his days work

Picture112.jpg
    Matt Wilson (Team Type 1) suffers a major bladder malfunction
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    good stage....

nice to see Russell up there...
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    That's a fantastic shot of Pinotti.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    LangerDan wrote:
    The podium girls aren't as chunky as they apear on TV

Silly man - You let the shape of their dresses fool you which shows you weren't paying enough attention.

Great coverage on ITV - I skipped through the Pat McQuaid interview though. Did he say anything "crazy"?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Great racing this week - amazing ride by downing - but the big teams were too strong - and this downing doesnt ride for rapha - thats the other one !
  • LangerDan
    cougie wrote:
    Great racing this week - amazing ride by downing - but the big teams were too strong - and this downing doesnt ride for rapha - thats the other one !

Fixed :oops: BTW is Dean Downing always that grumpy?
  • One of the best stages I have seen for a long time. Downing rode magnificantly but he was at a big disadvantage with Team Columbia obviously having an all round better team. It was nice to see Elliot finishing when it would be so easy for him to pack having done his work.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    He's 47 don't you know....... ;-)
  • OFOAB
    OFOAB Posts: 905
    cougie wrote:
    He's 47 don't you know....... ;-)

... "and I'll tell you what ... (Phil/Paul) .. he's the oldest man in pro cycling"
    I wish I was any place but the someplace I\'m in
  • Have to say downing did a great job and more than most people would have expected given the circumstances - Cav pulling out gifted him the green jersey but he deserved something for his ride yesterday ... love to know how his legs are feeling today ... ouch!!

Fair play to columbia - sure they were a far stronger team but they rode for 3.5days at the front carrying the race and then on the Queen stage still had a full hand to play. Super ride by Pinotti, great to see him win his first stage race. I have met him a few times and he is a genuinely nice guy
  • Dave L
    Dave L Posts: 251
    Cav pulling out gifted him the green jersey...
    Downing would have won it anyway surely, even if Cav had finished?
    Cav had 57 points after stage 4, Downing finished with 64, so Cav would have needed to have finished pretty close to him to have retained the jersey. (Or am I missing something?)
    Dave