Pyrenees Sept 08

elvis6093
elvis6093 Posts: 28
edited September 2008 in Tour & expedition
Hi

Thinking of heading to the pyrenees in end of sept (20th) to do some of the tour climbs. Any one else been at that time of year and can advise on what the weather would be like ?

thanks

Comments

• We are based in the heart of the Pyrenees next to Peyresourde, Portillon, Bales, Ares, Mente and generally here the weather is great for cycling. The mid part of September can be very hot still though at night the temperatures do fall.

Plan for and expect a bit of everything and even if the weather report says one thing what you actually get may be different.

Today the forecast was for showers but it remained dry all day long.
    www.peak-times.com

Independent or supported cycling holidays in the French Pyrenees
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Yeah I went mid September...still very hot....we only got one rainy day....you should have very nice weather in general.

P.s the great thing about that time of year is the visibility is usually great....
  • Steve928
    Steve928 Posts: 314
    We had a week of weather like this in mid-September last year:

p1.JPG

p2.JPG

Stinky hot.
    Pot luck though I guess..
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    Did the Raid that time last year. 4 days.
    Day 1 - lovely warm sunshine
    Day 2 - big climbs in mist, drizzle and cloud. On top of Tourmalet hear that snow forecast
    Day 3 - more drizzle/rain
    Day 4 - surreal. Snowed overnight. First climb takes us above snow layer@1000m and freeze everything off on decent. Final climb up 1900m Puymorens rumoured closed due to snow but make it and find 6" of snow at top. Long descent and by time reach evening hotel feels like summer again
    Day 5 - hot (but med not Pyrenees.

So best be prepared.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • Thanks for that - convinced me to go !
    Steve 928 - Where are those climbs ? very nice photos
  • Steve928
    Steve928 Posts: 314
    elvis6093 wrote:
    Steve 928 - Where are those climbs ?

First one is the Hourquette d'Anzican, direction Peyolle -> Anzican.
    A beautiful quiet climb in either direction. From the top you can look down on the Col d'Aspin climbing it's way up from Arreau.

Second is a few km. from the top of the Tourmalet, from the Luz side. Pic du Midi on the summit in the background.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    I've been to the Pyrenees 6 times, once in July, 4 times in August and once in Sept, and only in July did I get constantly good weather.
    All the other times, while half the week was fine and sunny (though not warmer than the mid 20s deg C), the other half was like the below photo (taken somewhere Port de Pailheres way).
    Only twice did it rain, however long and heavy when it did.

2802409689_8f0c7719ae.jpg
  • Tim Farr
    Tim Farr Posts: 665
    I haven't been to the Pyrenees in September but I have been in June/July. It's bound to rain and bound to shine as well - the Spanish side is known as the Green Spain. I've always stayed in the Ariege. See www.steephill.tvgalleries/2005/ariege-pyrenees.com for excellent photo essays of various climbs.

I stayed at the Cycle Lodge in Biert near Massat www.cyclepyrenees.com
    T Farr
  • Looking at the latest weather the forecast which of course can change is showing the first snow of the season with snow down to 2300 late next week. It may not happen but if it does the higher cols are going to be affected and the descents won't be fun.

Hopefully it will be dry for the Lapebie on Sunday...........
    www.peak-times.com

Independent or supported cycling holidays in the French Pyrenees
  • biped
    biped Posts: 25
    Hi.

I've visited the Pyrenees several times in September, but for backpacking rather than cycling. All the above comments are valid, especially concerning the changeability of the weather. Early in the day is best, thunderstorms can be a feature of late afternoons and you really don't want to be sweating up the Tourmalet while the statue at the top is getting zapped. The first snows often fall in late September, but it's unlikely to affect your ride unless you head up into the high dead-end mountain valley roads.
    The eastern areas on the Mediterranean side of the watershed unsurprisingly have a much more stable and dry climate.

Enjoy