cav's interview technique .... lets be honest here

northernneil
northernneil Posts: 1,549
edited September 2008 in Pro race
fantastic cyclist ....will almost certainly become britains greatest, but he aint ever going to have a career in the media once he stops turning those pedals !!!

Comments

• Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    A career in the media? A pundit inside a portcabin at the finish line? No, if he avoids injury and invests his money properly, he'll never have to work again when he hangs up his bike.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Kléber wrote:
    A career in the media? A pundit inside a portcabin at the finish line? No, if he avoids injury and invests his money properly, he'll never have to work again when he hangs up his bike.

Two far from foregone conclusions for any pro cyclist, unfortunately.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Was it Slipstream that had lectures about investing your money wisely and getting pension salesmen in to chat to them?

I reckon Bob will look after him.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Does this mean Cav won't ever be invited to engage in witty banter with Adrian Chiles and Giles Brandreth on the One Show? I bet he's gutted.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Dunno, Shaun Kelly has a career in the Media. I reckon they'll give him media training soon anyway :roll:
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    fantastic cyclist ....will almost certainly become britains greatest, but he aint ever going to have a career in the media once he stops turning those pedals !!!
    Who cares?
    What is it with people in this forum that all they worry about is how our cyclist perform in interviews ?!!
    I would rather see them winning races and medals and show a bit of balls in interviews like he does.
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    Who cares?
    What is it with people in this forum that all they worry about is how our cyclist perform in interviews ?!!
    I would rather see them winning races and medals and show a bit of balls in interviews like he does.

I've no real thoughts on Cav one way or another re. his interview technique, having seen so few of them. Suffice to say though, if its fair game to criticise cyclists from other teams/countries, then its fair game he cannot be exempted.

Personally, I don't think it takes too much for any sportsperson to be courteous as thats part of the job but the odd slip-up is acceptable in the heat of the moment. Do it continually though and it comes across as being a prima-donna (or worse).
  • iainf72
    Who cares?

Sometimes he's ok, sometimes I'd like to punch him on the nose. I found his Tour of Ireland interviews were fine. Maybe a bit much bile towards British Cycling as an undercurrent but on the whole it wasn't a performance like "I've got nothing to learn" during the Tour.

You're just giving him a bit of leeway because he's British.
  • fnb1
    fnb1 Posts: 591
    try being interviewed within minutes of finishing a long stage with a balls out sprint at the end, see how you come accross?

He is young and will get better at the PR bits as time and managment take effect.
    fay ce que voudres
  • iainf72 wrote:
    Who cares?

Sometimes he's ok, sometimes I'd like to punch him on the nose. I found his Tour of Ireland interviews were fine. Maybe a bit much bile towards British Cycling as an undercurrent but on the whole it wasn't a performance like "I've got nothing to learn" during the Tour.

You're just giving him a bit of leeway because he's British.

No I am not giving him leeway because he is British, I think the same about comments about Robbie McKewan and Cadel Evans.
    If people in here don't like the interviews, turn over the TV after the race has finished.
    I bet a load of the posters in here just want Cav to win so he gets interviewed and says what he thinks so they can then log in here to post how bad his interview was and say fxck all about how good his ride was . :D
  • I'd like to see Cav interviewd by Andy Murray. I bet that would be riveting tv. :roll:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Alex ferguson never gives interviews - so how come man u are one of the biggest football clubs in the world ? People on here are just picking faults - he will be our most successful rider out - probably - and we are slagging him for his interview technique ! I would like to see parkinson win a tour stage - would that make the whingers happy ?
  • iainf72
    Why do people feel you *must* like him?

He's an awesome sprinter but doesn't seem like a particularly charming individual.
  • cougie wrote:
    Alex ferguson never gives interviews - so how come man u are one of the biggest football clubs in the world ? People on here are just picking faults - he will be our most successful rider out - probably - and we are slagging him for his interview technique ! I would like to see parkinson win a tour stage - would that make the whingers happy ?

Fergie does, just not to the BBC. (and he's probably one of the least liked people in sport)

I think people like to *know* their sportspeople. And I think wether he's a "decent bloke" or not does make a difference to how much people like him. I haven't minded cav's Tour of ireland interviews, honest, and obviously not the favourite part of his job, but i'm sure he'll grow into that. I missed the TDF ones though.
    http://www.KOWONO.com - Design-Led home furniture and accessories.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Usually it's some Belgian or Italian bloke winning and if you spoke Flemish or Italian, you'd think "this bloke's not the sharpest knife in the draw" but since you don't understand, you withold judgement. Finally a Brit is winning and people have a go at him.

Compare Cavendish to most footballers, he sounds like Barack Obama compared to the likes of Wayne Rooney.
  • cougie
    I dont think we ever got to hear a Tom Simpson interview - he might have been a right mardy git ! We're spoilt with media access to the sport now- just a few years ago we'd all have been waiting for the results of the TOI in the Telegraph the next day. No interviews at all, and lucky to get any write up.
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    The fact is that in any interview he gives he is representing the companies that sponsor his team. One could say that in a sense he is the face of the company at that point. Therefore it is his responsibility to give the best interviews possible as being rude or whatever will reflect badly on the people paying for the team. Also, if he comes across well it will lead to more opportunities for him to make more money and set himself up for life.
  • cougie
    How many people actually see his interviews compared to see the headline 'Cav wins Tour de France stage' ?

Now if you were a sponsor - what would you rather have - bubbly interviews from a loser or someone who actually wins and gets your companys name out there ?
  • I don't think he comes across too badly - to me he doesn't show a lack of respect for the fans. He does say things how he sees it - he's obviously not happy with what went on at the Olympics - but isn't the point of an interview to find out what a person thinks rather than as is common these days to hear some PR spin he's been given.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • I don't think he comes across too badly - to me he doesn't show a lack of respect for the fans. He does say things how he sees it - he's obviously not happy with what went on at the Olympics - but isn't the point of an interview to find out what a person thinks rather than as is common these days to hear some PR spin he's been given.

Well put. Seems to me that the 'media training' that's nowadays obligatory for many sports stars tends to create very tedious corporate drones (F1 anyone?). I think it's great when people actually say what they think in an interview rather than churning out platitudes and placating their sponsors - even if many people, maybe even myself, don't like what they're saying.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    It doesn't take "media training" or becoming a corporate drone to say "No, not now" rather than "Fugg off!" in response to an interview request at sign-on.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • iainf72
    LangerDan wrote:
    It doesn't take "media training" or becoming a corporate drone to say "No, not now" rather than "Fugg off!" in response to an interview request at sign-on.

How would you feel if someone tried to ask you a question a second after you'd walked down 3 steps?

Or did they announce him as "One of the only British riders who didn't manage to get a medal on a wooden oval in Beijing"?