North kent

Shake n Bake
Shake n Bake Posts: 20
edited August 2008 in MTB rides
Hi im new to the forum :P and i live near Gravesend/Sevenoaks and im only 16 so am looking for local trails (bridleways/ byways etc) that i could ride to and easily get a lift to....
I like extreme trails :D:D :shock: i appreciate any new routes as i have started to get bored with some of mi current routes! i have OS mapping to look at so coordinates are fine.

cheers
Carrera........ cheap stuf is fun!

Comments

• Bmjboy
    Bmjboy Posts: 680
    Welcome Shake-n-Bake - Your best bet is Bluebell Hill near Maidstone, myself and a couple of mates aswell as a few other forum members use the trails there, there is some great downhill sections.

Grab an O/S Map and look for the North Downs Way and Pilgrims Way near Boxley/Maidstone, pretty much all those woods there are your playground!

Im sure some of us could help you with directions if need be.
    "I don't do double-entendres, but I do like to slip a big one in occasionally"

Giant Trance X2 / Garmin Edge 305 / Empty Wallet
  • pittpony
    pittpony Posts: 1,057
    /\ /\ /\ True, BBH is about the best i've found in easy reach of East Kent. If you can find a way to get to Surrey then do it!! Train to Dorking then ride Leith, Pitch and Holmbury hills?? I've also heard of some other places round your way that are supposed to be good but the names escape me.

You can get to BBH by taking the train to Chatham then its a 20-30 minute ride up the hill before you can go play. Well worth a look! I've actually taken a train to Chatham and ridden the (legal bits of the) North Downs way back to Canterbury before. Definite potential there but on the day it was p*ssing it down. It'd be a nice day trip in the summer although i guess its taking you in the wrong direction. Maybe you could take it the other direction as it goes around your way?
  • Bmjboy
    pittpony wrote:
    I've actually taken a train to Chatham and ridden the (legal bits of the) North Downs way back to Canterbury before.

This may have been covered before PitPony - but what are the legal rights/wrongs of cycling the NDW? I would imagine you could ride it all legally.

• pittpony
    pittpony Posts: 1,057
    Some of the NDW is footpath so you can't legally ride (and it turns out couldn't get a bike down) some of it. There are a few sections between Chatham and Canterbury but the majority of it is OK to ride. It's very easy to bypass the footpath sections with roads though
  • well my only paper OS map (148) covers that area, i have been round there in a 4x4 and it is a nice area. :) i will check it out as soon as possible!!! 8) :wink: i noticed some large bridleways in that area some of which are on the North Down Way, i presume these are good.... :P
    Carrera........ cheap stuf is fun!
  • Bmjboy
    You can get lost for hours in and around BBH, lots of nice singletrack and loads of different downhill sections to try.

We found a rather technical stepped downhill today, tackled it full on and I live to tell his tale right now. We're finding new routes all the time there, certainly the best local trails that I know of.

And hello to everyone we saw tackling the trails today (if you're reading this!)