Best wired computer?

giant_man
giant_man Posts: 6,878
edited August 2008 in Workshop
OK so after having enough of the problems you get with wireless equipment, I am after a decent wired computer with just the basic information and nothing too technical ie. heart rate and cadence level and all that rubbish, just something very reliable which I can leave on my bike for a few years and it will always work.

Any recommendations?

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,704
    I've got the 8 function one from Halfords. First of all, I have to say that the battery they put in it from new is useless, mine died after 3 weeks. However, after replacing it with a decent one for about £1, it's lasted about 18 months so far, with no signs of failing.
    Functions:
    Time
    Ride time
    Current speed
    Average speed
    Max speed
    Odometer
    Distance
    The 8th function's a bit of a con, in that it just scans through the other 7...

Sounds like it will be perfect for you. Operation's simple, just a single button, it attaches using zip ties so will fit on any size bar/fork. The only thing I don't like about it is that it can't be fitted to the stem.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    I run a Cateye Enduro on all my bikes. It's a mtb computer so the cable is thicker and more durable. It's harder to fit as it's bulkier (and a tad heavier) but if you want a fit and forget system it's as good as I've found. Previous versions with regular cables eventually break, especially if you move the bike around in cars etc.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    Cateye are the ones to go for. The Mity 8 is a popular one.

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • SteveR_100Milers
    SteveR_100Milers Posts: 5,987
    edited August 2008
    +1 for Cateye Astrale

Nope its also a Strada. Useful on a turbo as its rear wheel driven (which is why I got one)
  • geocycle
    geocycle Posts: 202
    I had the same frustrating wireless experience and went back to wired. I got the Cateye strada wired -excellent quality and reliability. The whole unit acts as the switch so it really is very simple to use. It's also small and light. It has survived two winters on the bike all the time with no problems.
  • I've got a cateye cadence computer, which is wired. I'm on my second cable as my first cable lasted about a month. Oh and the second cable lasted just 81.17miles. I quit using stupid computers. :evil:
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I am not impressed with the durability or warranty support of Cateye products. I have used VDO wireless computers successfully for years (and VDO in Germany replaced an 8 year old one free of charge when it finally packed up!!!). The wired ones should be just as good. I like the display and ease of use, and of course the warranty support (5 year warranty, but they went beyond this). The C1 is about £14.

112576.jpg
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    I've had trouble with the wires going on computers before, especially the Tesco/Mavic onse. I did like my VDO HC 12.6 a lot, but I never quite got the HR function working right. (I lost it)
  • Rob Sallnow
    Rob Sallnow Posts: 6,279
    Another vote for VDO.....I used to have a Cateye but it didn't like the cold (back when we had cold winters)....and water kept getting to the contacts and making it show I was doing 257mph.....the final straw came when a spare mount for the computer came to more than a VDO C2.

The great thing about it for me is that it shows the only three things I'm interested in on one screen...speed, trip distance and 24hr clock 8)
    I'd rather walk than use Shimano
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Cateye Strada Cadence
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • zenzinnia
    zenzinnia Posts: 698
    I use simple cateye ones on most of my bikes but they seem to lose time, which I find a bit frustrating. I recently bought a VDO that does altitude and I think the display style and overall use is probably better than Cateye and I guess the simple ones follow the same basic layout and ease of use.
    To err is human,
    but to really screw things up you need a shimano - campag mixed drivechain.
  • lfoggy
    lfoggy Posts: 28
    If you have a Shimano system then the wired Flightdeck is excellent. I find the gear indicators particularly useful...(although I know others will disagree !)
    Regards
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Thanks for all the replies guys, I was all set for a Cateye before salsarider79's and alfablue's comments but maddog 2's text about having heavy duty cabling makes some sense so I might plump for the Enduro. cheers.
  • trickeyja
    trickeyja Posts: 202
    Cateye Strada Cadence

I second that, I have a very reliable Strada Wireless but I would imagine the wired version would be just as good and it has cadence too.
  • JimmyK
    JimmyK Posts: 712
    cateye strada.

jimmyk