October 25th London To Brighton

Rush11
Rush11 Posts: 33
October 25th. London To Brighton. Looking for partners, been training very hard in Richmond Park, looking for partner/or partners or a group of people to cycle 53.6 miles
fun ride not racing
average speed around 20 kmh

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&saddr=london&daddr=Brighton,+Brighton+and+Hove,+United+Kingdom&hl=en&geocode=&mra=ls&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=9.155704,19.775391&ie=UTF8&ll=51.499086,-0.127094&spn=0.009417,0.019312&t=h&z=16>

I think this route is along the motorway, im not totally sure, if it is what would be a good route?

Comments

• felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    looks very much like the M23 there..... I am sure if you search bikely you would find a better route.

I know there is a cycle path along the end part of the A23, so that bits okay, but when I did London to Newhaven, we did the A22.... then again... you could always do this:

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/BHF-London-to-Brighton-2004 non?
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • EdHarris
    EdHarris Posts: 81
    The second route (notthe one along the M/A23) is much much better: less traffic and more scenic. However, I personally would carry straight on over the A27 towards the end and go down past Hollingbury on Ditchling Road: it's all down hill!!!
  • felgen
    There you have it! A man with Local Knowledge... do you have a route then ED?
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • EdHarris
    EdHarris Posts: 81
    I guess it depends if you're going for speed or countryside scenery. The Route given on bikely is pretty much ideal (what I know of it- anywhere south of Smallfield) but if you want to go that bit more faster then carry on out of Ardingly on the B2028 through Haywards Heath to Ditchling on Fox Hill B2112 (follow the yellow road on the map).

If you fancy the latter more scenic suggestion then follow the route but instead of going through Ditchling take Streat Lane through Streat and then Westmeston, then follow the very line line on the map west of Westmeston to land yourself directly at the bottom of Ditchling Beacon.

I'm sorry I can't help you north of Samllfield but that's the limit of my stalking-ground. I hope to weather's nice to you and that you have a good ride.

P.S. If you want to climb a real challenge try Streat Bostall: opposite Streat Lane- you only go up to come down (it leads to a farm) but it you want a hard hillclimb for the sake of prooving you can do it, it's a good one!
  • Rush11
    anyone want to join me on my quest? lol
    dont forget average speed around 20 kmh
    anyone have a link from london to brighton?
    Thanks guys
  • felgen
    Sorry I am confused.. you asked for a link from London to Brighton and I put one in my post. Are you looking for an alternative route?
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Rush11
    lol, im looking for a safe route, where there is not cars whizzing past me, dont care about mountains ect... just need something around 50 - 60 miles

thanks felgen
  • felgen
    well, that route posted above seems to be following a lot of more minor roads. Take a look at it and then edit it yourself if there are any bits you want to change.
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • The route used by the Capital to Coast is really nice. It starts in Surbiton and ends in Hove. Once you are clear of the London sprawl it sticks to small roads and is very nice indeed.

The two main obstacles are the Surrey Hills and Devil's Dyke. It's fairly undulating but the Dyke is more forgiving than Ditchling Beacon. It's pretty much downhill all the way from there and if you want to finish in Brighton it is well signposted on the road down from the Dyke.

Here's a link to the entire ride starting from Sheen Gate (you mentioned Richmond Park, so this might be a good place for you to start):

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Si ... 14-to-Hove

Good luck!