Falcon Shane Sutton - (With Pictures)

clockworkwar
clockworkwar Posts: 34
edited April 2009 in Road general
I have a classic road racing bike, and would like some more information.

The bike is a Falcon Shane Sutton Special road bike (red with the olympic falcon logo on the front.) Could anyone provide information about the bike? or why it was created?

Thank you.

Comments

• Here's some pictures of the bike:

DSC00392.jpg

Falcon Olympic Logo.

DSC00393.jpg

The bike itself.

DSC00396.jpg

Photo showing original water bottle.

Thank you, Does anyone have any information now?
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    edited August 2008
    Useful link here to Falcon.
    http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Britis ... Falcon.htm
    and the bit you are looking for.Look under notable riders.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ANC-Halfords_Cycling_Team
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shane_Sutton
    I also have a late Falcon Cycles Catalogue.I will have a look and see if its in.

Update .Looks identical to the "Team Equipe" Whats the tubing 531? or 453? both are Reynolds
    bagpuss
  • bagpusscp wrote:
    Update .Looks identical to the "Team Equipe" Whats the tubing 531? or 453? both are Reynolds

How do you measure the tubing? or know which ones which. (newbie.)
  • Tom753
    Tom753 Posts: 737
    It's hard to tell from the pics, it looks like a low-grade "sports" bike, with the same colour as the Falcon team bikes of the mid 80s.
  • Tom753 wrote:
    It's hard to tell from the pics, it looks like a low-grade "sports" bike, with the same colour as the Falcon team bikes of the mid 80s.

Thanks, all I know is that all the components on the bike (after doing research) were big racing brands in the 1980's.

I tried contacting Falcon and they said they had deleted their history, which I personally think is a little dumb.
  • bagpusscp
    If it is 531 it will have a transfer on the frame on the frame saying so.{Asuming it is the original paint work.} The seat post will be 27.2 in size Normal for Reynolds 531 butted tubing.If its not I would say its 453.
    The Catalogue I have showing the Model "Team Equipe"classes it as a mid range sports bike.Brakes Weinmann side pull. Atom hubs.What make are the gears .Shimano "z"?
    A good mid range British made frame.Something you cannot buy anymore with spending a wad of money. More close up pictures of the rear gears and brakes would help to confirm ID .Enjoy riding it .
    bagpuss
  • bagpusscp wrote:
    If it is 531 it will have a transfer on the frame on the frame saying so.{Asuming it is the original paint work.} The seat post will be 27.2 in size Normal for Reynolds 531 butted tubing.If its not I would say its 453.
    The Catalogue I have showing the Model "Team Equipe"classes it as a mid range sports bike.Brakes Weinmann side pull. Atom hubs.What make are the gears .Shimano "z"?
    A good mid range British made frame.Something you cannot buy anymore with spending a wad of money. More close up pictures of the rear gears and brakes would help to confirm ID .Enjoy riding it .

Thank you,

Frame: It is original paintowrk, it does not say 531. The seat post may be larger than 27.2 I will check it later.

Brakes: Brake Levers - 'Ghang-Star' (Chrome) - Brakes themselves are hard to tell, I could find something that said 'CT 500' but it could of been 'GT 500'.

Wheels: Hubs: 'Mailard' (Made in France) - Wheels themselves: Rigda Chrorace Superchromix (made in Fance)(atleast that's what I could make out.)

Gears: The gears are funny, the only logo's on them are Falcons, on every component. So either they made their own for a short time, or they paid Shimano to make specific ones for them.

Handlebars: The Stem says - 'ITM' on it - the handlebars say they are made for Falcon, in Italy by a company called 'Italnanubri' (atleast I think thats house it is spelled.) or it may be spelled 'Italmanumbri.' Which I believe is now-a-days called ITM.

Others: Reflectors: Tailmu (Made in England.) - Pedal toe clip: 'Lapize' (Made in England)(we have the leather originals for the straps but they are dangerous.)

Labels: Falcon down the front forks. Shane Sutton Special etc all over.

I have also found in he 1980's Terry Dolan made frames for Falcon amongst others, I wonder if there is any way of discovering if this was true.

Hope that helps.

The bike is loverly to ride, i went to a bike shop and picked up a carbon bike, and my bike seems only to be a few grams heavier.
  • bagpusscp
    Equipment would put it in the sports bike group.As with all manufacture's Falcon changed components subject to price.I would date this to the Early 90's following S Suttons Milk Race Win.The Catalogue I have is not dated but judging by the spec on each bike I think it is late 80's early 90's.
    bagpuss
  • Thanks for your help BAGPUSSCP - I found out the cassette atleast on the bike is a Shimano (after changing the tires today.)
  • I have put new tires on the beast and cleaned the gears properly. It feels so nice.
  • boggyass
    boggyass Posts: 221
    I just bought an old red Falcon Team Equipe with Reynolds 453 label on it for 35 quid. Can anyone tell me more about this bike? I'm a newbie to road bikes so trying to learn more about them.