Itchy ring !!!

zeroseven
zeroseven Posts: 347
edited September 2008 in Health, fitness & training
Man how do you lot wear those lycra shorts? A couple of 15 miles rides last couple of days and my sweaty bum is itching like mad

Is there some dark untold secret to prevent this?? :oops:

I'll never look at a female cyclist the same way again. Yuk

Comments

• impished
    impished Posts: 1,092
    I've never had a problem yet. I just machine wash them after every ride without fabric softener and I don't use creams. They did get a bit stinky on day 2 of the SDW, though :oops:
  • zeroseven
    Talked to few people up at Aston Hill this afternoon..All suffered the same after more than a couple of continuous days riding.

Vaseline / E45 / or Aqueous (sp) cream recommended apparently for those suffering in silence

I always assumed those shorts to be a breathable fabric, not sure I'lln wear them again, minging

Another £60 wasted :evil:
  • strodey
    strodey Posts: 481
    Is there some dark untold secret to prevent this??

I find scratching helps :lol:
    Carbon is a mans best freind
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    zeroseven wrote:
    I always assumed those shorts to be a breathable fabric, not sure I'lln wear them again, minging

Another £60 wasted :evil:

They are breathable to an extent. When you are working hard nothing can wick the sweat away quick enough.

Are you wearing knickers underneath? padded shorts should be worn next to the skin.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • Amos
    Amos Posts: 438
    I wouldn't wear the same sweaty pair of lycra shorts two days in a row.
  • zeroseven

They are breathable to an extent. When you are working hard nothing can wick the sweat away quick enough.

Are you wearing knickers underneath? padded shorts should be worn next to the skin.

Well.....er....pants yeah.

Is that right?, no pants? maybe I'll take another look at those girls after all
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    You got a case of Rockfords mate I reckon......
  • zeroseven
    No grapes on my arse......

I ride a KTM most days, no itchy bum on that.
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    Just kidding.

But you cant be wearing pants under the lycra, gotta go 'commando'.
  • kegs
    kegs Posts: 204
    yeah, I hate to think how uncomfortable it'd be wearing keks under lycra :shock:

Try them without, chamois cream, like Minty Arse Lard, or even sudocrem, will help on long rides.
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    zeroseven wrote:

Well.....er....pants yeah.

Is that right?, no pants? maybe I'll take another look at those girls after all

Absolutely. It's a little known secret that all us girlie mtb'ers are really going commando :D

I can't imagine how uncomfy it must be with pants underneath :shock:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • glenwatt
    glenwatt Posts: 155
    If it helps, avoid the use of Mint and Tea tree shower gel in or around the area.

"burning ring of fire" springs to mind. :oops:
    Glen

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.
  • zeroseven
    Enjoyed the thread everyone - thanks.... still not sure if you're winding me up tho

Will give it a go tomorrow........

Pics to follow..........

:lol:
  • Amos
    Amos Posts: 438
    When I go out on my bike I wear my lycra shorts instead of my underwear, with my baggy shorts over top!.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Have to be really careful with that Mint Zing showergel stuff! I got some in my, erm, third eye, the stinging was amazing!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Amos wrote:
    When I go out on my bike I wear my lycra shorts instead of my underwear, with my baggy shorts over top!.
    Ditto here when doing long rides.

As for the mint stuff, why, just WHY?

Years ago, my sister used to have this tea-tree shampoo, and, being the only shampoo in the house, I used it, it was strange and made my head feel cold.
    Unfortunately, I tend to put shampoo in my hear, and then wash the rest of me, then wash the shampoo out (I've got long hair that turns to a stra-like afro if I don;t actually look after it), well, when it came time to wash my undercarriage, there was still some of this tea tree crap on my hands, and my god did it not half sting. :shock:

Another time, a girlfriend decided to use hand cream while, erm, well, you know.
    Unfortunately, the only hand cream she had was, yep, tea tree.
    I still have nightmares about that!
  • supersonic
    Tell what does hurt, getting that exfoliating scrub stuff in your eyes.
  • zeroseven
    Ok, did about 15 miles this morning with no undercrackers under the lycra.

Dont know how you do it. It felt disgusting.

Went back to pants and shorts for the another five miles and the cool breeze was wonderful

Not for me. In the bin.

these were supposed to be particularly breathable too.....

Pearl Izumi Ultrasensor LOL
  • teamslug
    teamslug Posts: 14
    If you dont wash/change your shorts after every ride you can end up with jock rot or to give it a proper name 'dhobie itch'.....and it bloody does too...just in the crack between your plums and the top of your leg...looks like a rash...Took about 2 months to go using a cream called Daktarin, and before you ask I didn't need antibiotics to get rid...I'm not like that.Its same sort of fungus that causes Athletes foot...This is gonna sound daft but I sometimes use foot powder round my tackle just to stop it comin back..So if you want to prevent it and some severe questioning from your women CHANGE YOUR SHORTS!!!!!
    Teamslug........supported by Wubbery Wegs
  • zeroseven
    Of course they were washed, :shock:

they were dripping after each ride. Worn 3 times, washed twice, now binned

Wife bought a different brand she wont wear hers either now.

Surely its easier to just not wear Lycra? I'd no idea how uncomfortable and minging it is.
  • Anonymous
    I've always found that on long rides, cotton boxers become clingy, and cause massive chafing, and that the lycra, because it's so close to your skin, does neither of these things.
  • Is this right?

You're not supposed to wear underwear when wearing lycra cycling shorts?

I'm confused, I've been cycling about 2 months (commuting + 60 miles o a Sunday) and I've always worn undewear without any issues, am not doing it right?
  • Anonymous
    wearing underwear underneath can lead to nasty chafing.
  • zeroseven
    So all those bikers I see pedalling to work in Lycra sit covered in knacker lacquer all day?

Ah man......

:lol:
  • supersonic
    Drop them in the works sink when you get in, bit of fairy liquid sorts them out ;-)
  • zeroseven
    supersonic wrote:
    Drop them in the works sink when you get in, bit of fairy liquid sorts them out ;-)

Your bollocks?
  • no pants, no pants, NO PANTS!!!

Oh, and NO vaseline either - unless you fancy a bacterial infection. Sudocrem or mitanium is the way to go (both zinc oxide based... oft used to prevent/treat nappy rash!). I've done multiple expedition-length adventure races (in one pair of lycra shorts) and never really had a problem (saddle sores perhaps, but no itchiness)... perhaps thee needs to wash more often?? Or just ttfu! :wink:
  • Wearing jockeys under your lycra? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. It's like wearing pants under your pants! No wonder you got a sweaty rash! + the VPL must have been murder.

I did End 2 End unsupported over 10 days with the same lycras, 930 miles, never washed! Lubing up with Savlon and E45 was a morning ritual. By John O'Groats my crack was still absolutely impeccable.
  • Now I see where I have been going wrong! :D

Athough when I did my first long distance ride I swore next time I would wear the shorts and leggins just for the extra padding talk about tender loin :twisted: