Increasing from 20 miles to 55 miles

Rush11
Rush11 Posts: 33
edited September 2008 in Training, fitness and health
how could i increase from 20 miles to 55 miles in 9 weeks?
only can cycle on saturdays, is it possible?
where could i get fun routes around south east london?

Comments

• blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    I'd say it's possible although it will certainly help if you get some cycling in other than just on Saturday. You can't cycle mornings/lunchtime/evenings?

If it is for an event bear in mind that you can generally get around a longer event than you have ever done in a training run.

Try to increase your distance gradually but steadily, 10% a week is generally suggested which would see you getting to 43 miles by week 8; 55 in an event on week 9 should be well possible then.

Maybe try 12% jumps which will certainly get you there comfortably, e.g. weeks 1 to 9:

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    55miles is nothing excessive if you've been riding a bike for a while, even if you haven't been covering many miles. The South East is pretty flat isn't it? Shouldn't take much more than 4hours to do 55 milers.

If you can do 20 miles comfortably, and you really feel you need to build up to it try 30 miles, then try 40, then do a ~55 miler.

The first 50+ miler you do will hurt if you've not done much cycling, I reckon take the pain, and keep doing a ~50 miler for the 9 weeks and then it'll be easy. Have a break at the halfway point - take some sandwiches, get off the bike, stretch etc - there's no reason why you'd have to do all the mileage in one go.

Take the pain and it'll feel more of an acheivement.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Rush11
    lol thanks redddraggon and blorg, lol the pain is the worst part, back pain neck pain, bum pain.
    before i set of i need a better seat lol this one is like concrete slab :roll:
  • Rush11
    anyone interested in coming along?
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Rush11 wrote:
    lol thanks redddraggon and blorg, lol the pain is the worst part, back pain neck pain, bum pain.
    before i set of i need a better seat lol this one is like concrete slab :roll:

It may be your riding position that's the biggest issue if you get neck and back pain. Re saddle, I prefer a firm saddle to soft gel filled ones, but saddles are very subjective. What saddle you do have at the moment?
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • Rush11
    hi slow this is my bike
    http://shop.d2leisuregroup.co.uk/produc ... atno0.html
    the saddle is called Dawes comfort saddle
    its spongy but obviosly im to heavy so i feel the metal under neath the soft sponge
    90 kg is quite alot of weight dont forget
  • Slow Downcp
    I'd guess that the saddle is actually too soft - I'm a similar weight and use Fizik Arione on my bikes. It is firm, but better for longer rides. I'd also suggest swapping the tyres to something with less tread, as the knobblies you have on will take a lot more effort to ride than semi-slicks (assume you're looking at 55 miles on road - I could be wrong?)
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • Rush11
    yes thats right slo, 55 miles on road is quite alot
  • redddraggon
    I'd guess that the saddle is actually too soft - I'm a similar weight and use Fizik Arione on my bikes. It is firm, but better for longer rides.

The problem with Ariones is that they are like Marmite. Some people swear by them like you and me, and other people they are nothing but torture devices.

I guess the same could be said about all saddles though.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Rush11
    lol yeah but 70 quid is quite alot for a saddle, im looking for something that is comfortable and not expensive
  • redddraggon
    Rush11 wrote:
    lol yeah but 70 quid is quite alot for a saddle, im looking for something that is comfortable and not expensive

An Arione can be had for £50, although £70 is not really "expensive" for a saddle (although that can be a personal opinion).

This is an expensive saddle....

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Selle ... 360031325/

:wink:
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Rush11
    lol yup thats dam expensive, so expensive?
  • Rush11
    what tires would be good for my bike?
  • Slow Downcp
    The problem with Ariones is that they are like Marmite.

I'd rather eat my Arione than marmite!
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    The problem with Ariones is that they are like Marmite.

I'd rather eat my Arione than marmite!
    While I'd rather ride a jar of Marmite than an Arione ;)

Note: I'm joking, Ariones are lovely.
  • :lol::lol:

The-choice-of-saddle-thing is a constant in the cycling heaven/hell whichever applies to readers of these threads.
    For what its worth:
    try a Charge Spoon:
    http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/products. ... 83s81p2627
    for 20quid its a godsend to my @rse, on both road and hybrids. If it doesn't do it for you then try something else and sell the spoon.
    Just don't apply Marmite with a 'Spoon'.... :shock:
    Spring!
    Singlespeeds in town rule.