Fixed/singlespeed conandrum

salsarider79
salsarider79 Posts: 828
edited August 2008 in Road general
I'm looking to do some touring in France later on this year, and am looking at wether to do it on my Wrongster (nicknamed Richard the Turd). Only I'm thinking that 42:16 is a bit much for some of the alpine stuff, and I don't want to go geared... :D . I run a 16t freewheel, so I could run a 22t fixed cog on the flip flop hub. Only thing is (please don't hate me) I really don't like running fixed. :oops: I've tried it and am not keen on the idea. Is it possible to run a freewheel on the fixed side of a flip flop hub :?:
jedster wrote:
Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.

Comments

• Tom753
    Tom753 Posts: 737
    Yes, as long as the freewheel and hub have the same threads, which is almost certain that you have.
  • Will that be safe, as the freewheel won't thread fully onto the hub as it would on the freewheel side...? Does that make sense? :?
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
  • Would the threads be the same? Would it be safe to ride up alpine climbs, with luggage? I just wonder how much power you could put on the hub like that, before the threads strip.
    :?
    jedster wrote:
  • SamWise72
    SamWise72 Posts: 453
    It'll be perfectly safe. Trouble is, a 6 tooth difference is a lot, in terms of the chain length.
    MiniLogo-1.jpg
    http://www.velochocolate.co.uk Special Treats for Lifestyle Cyclists

From FCN from 8 (road bike, beard, bag, work clothes) to 15 (on my Brompton)
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    i'm not being funny here - but just get some gears!

are you seriously thinking of going singlespeed to the apls? - I just don't see why you would put yourself through that - not just the climbs - but the decents will be proper painful and not half as fast they should be.

I like fixed - i have a langster too - it's great fun as a town bike and a simple winter bike or commuter - but for the alps?? - you need gears!
  • gkerr4: I use a freewheel rather than fixed, so desents will be fine. And it has a surly flip flop hub so I can have two ratios, rather than one. I'd go uphill fixed (maybe) and downhill on a freewheel. Also going geared does mean buying another bike. I don't know if I can afford to have a geared bike. Hence The crazy idea of singlespeed touring.
    SamWise72: Good point. Yes,...um,...mmm. :oops:

I wonder though. Old hubs that used freewheels were 120mm spacing, (I had one on an old 1960's bike) and they had 5 speed gearing. If you bolt a mech hanger on (using the drive side hub bolt) and ran a full length cable to the rear mech, might it be possible to run a few gears? You'd need to use a friction shifter. Does this sound possible? :?
    jedster wrote: