edited August 2008 in Pro race
Move along now, nothing to see here. Cav just won another bunch sprint

No word on the other placings

Will he be so chirpy tomorow?
'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'

Comments

• aarw
    aarw Posts: 448
    no. well, hope not. the race needs a change.
  • Not suprised to see him win 3 stages. i think Columbia wanted to get him out of a post olympic rut quickly and back winning (repeatedly). Lets be honest he is head and shoulders above any other sprinters in the race.
    Win won and easily forgotten.
    Win 3 stages and confidence is strong and rider be a lot happier mentally.

Roll on Paris Tours - we could have the show down we have been waiting for
    Boonen, Cav, Bennati, McEwen, Feire. I think Cav is great but dont think he would win 4 tour stages if Boonen/bennati were there! Also McEwen looks like he is in Zabel mode ... slow decline with 1/2 wins per year.

I think Columbia will release there grip on the race now and so long as they have a strong man in the break they will give it some leeway. Conor Pass is not a hard climb and around Slea head is narrow but no challenge so I do think Columbia could control if they wanted to but they will let the race develop now me thinks.
  • DmC/O'Loughlin up the road tomorrow hopefully!
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    How many wins is that this season for Cav? What is the modern day (say post war) record?
    Rich
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    RichA wrote:
    How many wins is that this season for Cav? What is the modern day (say post war) record?

He's got 14. Boonen is close on his tails with 12 though, Griepel and Cancellara just behind him on 10.

http://www.cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/start.asp
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    I don't know the greatest number per season but Freddy Maertens would often have 20+ wins in a year eg 13 Vuelta stages, 7 Giro stages and a handful of classics in one year. Merckx would win similar amounts. I think it would be very difficult for someone these days to win that many quality races.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    With riders like Merckx and Maertens, and pretty much all of the grand champions, I think you often have to take the numbers with a pinch of salt. Obviously it's easy to count the Grand Tour stages and the big classics, but when you hear someone say Merckx had a 1,000 wins throughout his career, how many of them were in unofficial criterium or kermesse or village fete jobs?

When did the UCI start ranking races?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    afx237vi wrote:

Tomorrow's Cyclingnews headline

Bikeradars Afx pwns Merckx!
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Pfft, Eddy's way over-rated. I preferred Axel :lol:

Back on-topic, scary crash by Dan Lloyd... and Zak Dempster appeared to have left a sizable chunk of his thigh somewhere in the Irish countryside!
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    afx237vi wrote:
    With riders like Merckx and Maertens, and pretty much all of the grand champions, I think you often have to take the numbers with a pinch of salt. Obviously it's easy to count the Grand Tour stages and the big classics, but when you hear someone say Merckx had a 1,000 wins throughout his career, how many of them were in unofficial criterium or kermesse or village fete jobs?

Some of Cavs wins this year are not exactly top rank either - the stages in the Tour of Treland or the Ster Elektroter.

These are Maertens results for 76 and 77 - not much dross here - there may be a similar number of crits and kermesses unlisted.

1976 World Pro Road Race
    Grand Prix des Nations
    Championship of Zurich
    Amstel Gold Race
    Frankfurt Grand Prix
    Ghent - Wevelgem
    Trofeo Angelo Baracchi, with Michel Pollentier
    Four Days of Dunkirk
    Points Competition, Tour de France
    8 stages, Tour de France
    Points competition, Tour of Switzerland
    2 stages, Tour of Switzerland
    Critérium des As
    Super Prestige Pernod Trophy

1977 Vuelta d'Espana
    Points Competition, Vuelta d'Espana
    13 stages, Vuelta a España
    7 stages, Giro d'Italia
    1 stage, Tour of Switzerland
    Paris - Nice
    Tour of Catalonia
    Catalan Week
    Omloop Het Volk
    Super Prestige Pernod Trophy
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    RichA wrote:

No doubt, Eddy Merckx will have some ridiculous untouchable record - in the 40s at least
    Twitter: @RichN95