Help me please, my legs hurt.

kluster
kluster Posts: 10
Hi all, how's it going? Hope you all OK.

Went for a ride about a week ago. Before the ride I increased the length of my seatpost about an inch or two. I done this coz there was a lot of climbing and it was a long ride (about forty miles).
For a few days after the ride my legs were aching (as they would). But still now, the tendons behind my knees, and mostly up the back of my thighs (Hamstrings?) are still sore (especially when I try to put pressure down on the pedals).
Any help or advice please?

It's driving me Mad not been on the bike for two weeks.

k

Comments

• chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    kluster wrote:
    Hi all, how's it going? Hope you all OK.

Went for a ride about a week ago. Before the ride I increased the length of my seatpost about an inch or two. I done this coz there was a lot of climbing and it was a long ride (about forty miles).
    For a few days after the ride my legs were aching (as they would). But still now, the tendons behind my knees, and mostly up the back of my thighs (Hamstrings?) are still sore (especially when I try to put pressure down on the pedals).
    Any help or advice please?

It's driving me Mad not been on the bike for two weeks.

k

Perhaps you should have left it where it was (the seatpost)?

The guide I use is when sitting on the seat whether my hell can press on the pedal, if it is a long stretch or not touching then it is too far.
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    kluster wrote:
    I increased the length of my seatpost about an inch or two.

Not a good idea. Seatposts should be adjusted by a millimetre or two rather than "an inch or two".
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Why did you increase the seat post by so much? Once your seat height is correct you shouldn't need to move it regardless of riding conditions. I should imagine your aches and pains are due to a too higher seat position.

If you are unsure of what the correct seat height should be try the 109% method. In bare feet measure in cm the distance from your crotch to the floor(you need a good friend for this) Then multiple by 109% and that should be the distance from the centre of the pedal spindle to the top of the saddle, measured along the seat seat tube angle.
  • Because you have raised your seatpost, you have gone from all the effort on your thighs to a lot of effort on your hamstrings and calfs. Can you reach the pedals without tipping your hips to the side? If not, then it is too high. Try going back to where you were before then raising by a centimetre or two.
    Another tree...another cracked rib!!
  • boybiker
    boybiker Posts: 531
    markos1963 wrote:
    Why did you increase the seat post by so much? Once your seat height is correct you shouldn't need to move it regardless of riding conditions. I should imagine your aches and pains are due to a too higher seat position.

If you are unsure of what the correct seat height should be try the 109% method. In bare feet measure in cm the distance from your crotch to the floor(you need a good friend for this) Then multiple by 109% and that should be the distance from the centre of the pedal spindle to the top of the saddle, measured along the seat seat tube angle.

When you say measure from the crotch to the floor thats quite vague as to what that means , or maybe its just me who has a vague crotchular area :? we need more preciseness.
    The gear changing, helmet wearing fule.
    FCN :- -1
    Given up waiting for Fast as Fupp to start stalking me
  • boybiker wrote:
    markos1963 wrote:

When you say measure from the crotch to the floor thats quite vague as to what that means , or maybe its just me who has a vague crotchular area :? we need more preciseness.

I think he means the Barse.

barse n.

The perineum; that little bit between your balls and your arse
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • boybiker wrote:
    markos1963 wrote:

I think he means the Barse.

barse n.

The perineum; that little bit between your balls and your ars*

My Missus calls that the 'Biffins Bridge' :?: :shock:
    'How can an opinion be bullsh1t?' High Fidelity
  • boybiker
    Ahhhhh O.K
    I'll have to find a friendly dwarf so I can measure my bits and see if my saddle is at the right height.
  • boybiker
    Errrm...
    I think something is wrong there, I just tried it and my saddle would have to be at 97 cms according to the dwarf I found and it isnt that high and if it was I would'nt be able to get my feet on the ground without falling over :

Sorry about hijacking the thread I'll shut up and go away now.
  • kluster
    the reason I heightend my seat before the ride was becuase there was lots of climbing (Abergwesyn - Devils Staircase - Red Telephone Box near Trgaron - Soar-y-mynydd - Llyn Brianne - Llandovery - Tirabad - Llanywrted Well), and when the gradient rises I always eem to slide way forward on the saddle and my legs feel as though they are under extending.

Perhaps I'll not try the ride below in the next week then.

k

byg13.jpg
  • kluster
    the reason I heightend my seat before the ride was becuase there was lots of climbing (Abergwesyn - Devils Staircase - Red Telephone Box near Trgaron - Soar-y-mynydd - Llyn Brianne - Llandovery - Tirabad - Llanywrted Well), and when the gradient rises I always eem to slide way forward on the saddle and my legs feel as though they are under extending.

Perhaps I'll not try the ride below in the next week then.

k

byg13.jpg
  • kluster
    oops, my browser froze and I pressed the submit button again. Sorry.

k
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    boybiker wrote:
    Errrm...
    I think something is wrong there, I just tried it and my saddle would have to be at 97 cms according to the dwarf I found and it isnt that high and if it was I would'nt be able to get my feet on the ground without falling over :

Sorry about hijacking the thread I'll shut up and go away now.

The easiest way is to put a book between your legs and lift it up tight into your crotch then put it up against a wall so you have the book square with the wall and you can then measure the top of the book edge down.

Its irrelavent the ability to put your feet on the ground from the saddle. Thats the formula used by bike shops when selling to kids. When you stop you should be sliding forward off the saddle to put your feet down, thats why the standover height of your frame is important.
  • boybiker
    Putting a book into my crotchular area is the best offer Ive had all week,I'll try anything once :wink:
    Although I am not sure whether to go for the AA atlas or something a bit more erotic such as a kay's catalogue
    ooooooh I found a Gibons 1965 stamp catalogue I may be some time :twisted:
  • kluster
    i slipped a takashi Miike dvd between my legs. That did the trick.

Thanks for all the help and advice.

Just going to go for a ride now to test the legs.
  • are you sure the formula is correct if so i'd have to put bricks on bottom of my shoes to reach the pedals