RS Revelations - Fitting a new spring.

mr mangos
mr mangos Posts: 174
edited August 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm thinking of fitting a stiffer spring to my Revs. They're beautifully plush at the moment but they do blow through their travel a bit on steps and steep descents. I'm thinking this may be because I'm about 85kg but running the standard red spring. RS recommend the black spring for my weight which is two steps up. I was thinking of fitting the black spring or perhaps the blue which is in between.

I was going to fit it myself but I can't find much clear info on how this is done. Can anyone tell me what's involved?

Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Go to Sram's Service Guide Download Page

Under the Rock Shox section, open the selection bar and scroll right down to the bottom. Pick "Service Guides"

Download the relevent technical manual for your fork model year. The technical manuals include service and overhaul instructions for most models dating back to 2005.

Changing a coil spring is usually fairly straightforward - it's a case of setting the fork on full travel, remove the top-cap on the leg containing the spring (you'll need a BIG socket to do this - don't be tempted to use a spanner or you'll chew the top-cap up), remove the existing spring, insert the new one, re-fit the top cap and Robert's your mother's brother.

I've just changed the spring in my Fox 36s and it literally took me 5 minutes.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • mr mangos
    Awesome. Thanks Dave, I missed the service manuals at the bottom there. Looks like a doddle. Is something like Finish Line Teflon grease ok for the spring or should something heavier be used?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Not sure whether they recommend 15wt oil, and need to put some in the bottom of the leg

With Uturn though you need to remove the bolt at the bottom of the spring leg to release the full assembly. This will pee oil out so be careful.
  • mr mangos
    Hmm. The guide mentions nothing about undoing a bolt at the bottom. Are you sure?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Hmmm, I know my Tora is a slightly different design: the spring winds around a part connected to the pushrod on mine.

Follow the instructions lol ;-)