I'm in an extraodinary amount of pain.

Benny Hone
Benny Hone Posts: 43
Don't laugh but I have entered the Helwith Bridge Duathlon in October so wanted to practice the bike-run transition. Yesterday I did 42 kilometres on the bike in the fog and drizzle with absolutely no problems at all. Then I swapped shoes and ran for...four minutes! On this route, I have to cross a small stream on a solid stone footbridge. It was so wet, my shoes wouldn't grip and I came down really, really hard on the stone on to my backside. I banged right on that crease where the buttock meets the thigh and there is a hideously ugly scarlet welt there. The pain was indescribable even through the endorphin high I was feeling thanks to the ride. The pain got worse and worse and I can't sit or lie down. It's only comfortable standing (walking is painful) or lying on my front!

Has anyone had an experience of a really hard knock in this area and if so, how long does it take to get back excercising again? A girl at work says she banged the same area on solid ice during a ski trip and there was so much tissue damage, it took a full month before she could even walk without pain! If that's the case, my Duathlon dream is over that's for sure!
Your optimism strikes me like junk mail addressed to the dead.

Comments

• RedJohn
    RedJohn Posts: 272
    Go and see a doctor!!
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    See a doctor / A&E soon - there is a small chance you have broken teh neck of your thigh bone or chipped/cracked your pelvis.

Get help. If it isn't anything nevermind - but if it is it WONT get better by itself and theoretically you risk severe internal injury (like cutting an artery in yoru thigh, etc)

I know this sounds scary and hope I'm wrong but you should check as soon as possible.
  • Thanks for the concern and all that but as I am a medic and I am almost certain there's no break and zero danger of nicking an artery, especially a main one, I thought I'd ask about people's experiences of recovering from a fall such as this. After all, I'm sure most will have had unfortunate tumbles from bikes at greater heights than was involved in my little escapade.
    Your optimism strikes me like junk mail addressed to the dead.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Benny Hone wrote:
    After all, I'm sure most will have had unfortunate tumbles from bikes at greater heights than was involved in my little escapade.

When you fall off a bike (at a decentish speed) you tend to get more road rash. Sliding down the road isn't nice - some of my wounds have just healed, I tried savlon and scrubbing the wound, but it still got infected. Needless to say I was back on the bike pretty soon.

It just sounds like an unlucky fall to me. I'm sure it wouldn't "hurt" to get back on the bike.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Did you feel sick or dizzy when / shortly after it happened?

If so, there's a very good chance you've broken a bone. As subtly suggested earlier on, go to A&E, get it X-rayed and some nice pain-killers.
  • synchronicity
    synchronicity Posts: 1,415
    I was thinking the exact same thing as others... get yourself to a Doctor. :wink:
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    As a medic I would have thought you would have known better than to ask a load of sttrangers on a forum for medical advice! You pay your taxes(I hope) go and see a doctor.