Vuelta Mountains

Noodley
Noodley Posts: 1,725
edited August 2008 in Pro race
Is Bertie going to dominate in the mountains, or will there be anyone able to challenge him?

Comments

• ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    Sastre? Gesink?
    We saw what happened to the favourite at Le Tour!
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    I think Gesink will do something good in at least one of the stages.

Hopefully we'll see the attacking Contador of last year rather than the following Contador of the Giro.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Sastre looked very promising on Alpe d'Huez. And Gesink will have a go, but he's only 22 and it's his first grand tour. But yes, let's hope someone brings Contador in a position where he needs to attack, otherwise it might be a very boring Vuelta.
  • Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    Are there any of the small teams with good climbers to cause a bit of a panic?

I can see it being a bit dull otherwise TBH...
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    I could see Valverde attacking. I don't see him winning, but I think he'll attack. Sastre will attack, but he'll be hurt by not having the Schleck's with him. I think if the Schleck's were with him it would be a battle royale between him and Contador but without them I doubt he can hold off Contador for long.
  • victorponf
    victorponf Posts: 1,187
    donrhummy wrote:
    I could see Valverde attacking. I don't see him winning, but I think he'll attack. Sastre will attack, but he'll be hurt by not having the Schleck's with him. I think if the Schleck's were with him it would be a battle royale between him and Contador but without them I doubt he can hold off Contador for long.

I could see Valverde just figthing for stages and bonifications:

20", 12" and 8" in the finish line 6,4,2 in intermediate sprints

If Levi wins first TT maybe Contador wait until Angliru to atack...and just control other riders and help Levi
    If you like Flandes, Roubaix or Eroica, you would like GP Canal de Castilla, www.gpcanaldecastilla.com
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    What about Cunego? Can his Vuelta be any worse than his Tour? Or will he just ignore the GC altogether and just try for stage wins? Personally I hope he gets one... I actually found myself feeling a little sorry for him during the Tour.

Karpin-Galicia looks like a good team too. Probably dodgy, but, eh, whatever. Mosquera and Carlos Castaño could go top 10.